[Caml-list] forge.OCamlCore.org is now ready to serve the OCaml community

Stefano Zacchiroli

Apr 17, 2008, 3:10:25 AM4/17/08
to caml...@inria.fr, caml-a...@inria.fr
Hello all,

**OCamlCore.org is ready!**

During the last few weeks, the OCamlCore.org Team, with the help of many other
members of the community, worked hard to fix a number of problems on the site.
Now we think it is ready for prime time. Therefore, following from the previous
announcement [1][2] of the availability of an OCaml planet and the OCaml forge
beta testing, we are now ready to allow full public access to OCaml forge.

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/msg/6faedd72f77fd0df
[2] http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/msg/f8342697120413fd

A forge is a set of services for software projects, including version
control systems (CVS, SVN, ...), mailing lists, download areas, bug
tracking systems, ... Well known examples are sourceforge.net, GNA, and
Savannah. The forge for the OCaml community [3] will be specifically
aimed at hosting software projects related to the OCaml programming
language.

[3] http://forge.ocamlcore.org/

This new forge has been beta tested, but you could still found some bugs. In
this case, don't hesitate to submit bug to the Site Admin project [4]

[4] http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/siteadmin/

So if you want to start an ocaml project on forge.ocamlcore.org, sign-up
for an account on: http://forge.ocamlcore.org

We want to limit the use of this forge to OCaml related project. This include
software or library written in OCaml, but also projects around OCaml, using
derived languages (JoCaml, OCamlDuce, ...) or providing service for OCaml
community (tools for conference organization...).

Help needed
-----------

At the moment, we have set up an hosting service for git and darcs
(git.ocamlcore.org and darcs.ocamlcore.org). We are looking for
experienced forge administrator that can allow us to manage this two SCM
through GForge. Contact us if you are interested.

We are also looking for talented web designer to make the look of
ocamlcore.org nicer. Join the project ocamlcore-theme and read the
README file to know how to proceed...
http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/ocamlcore-theme/
http://forge.ocamlcore.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/trunk/README.txt?root=ocamlcore-theme&view=markup

Regards,
the OCamlCore.org Team.
(Sylvain Le Gall, Romain Beauxis, Stefano Zacchiroli, Pietro Abate)

PS: you will find the classical LGPL with static linking exception
License at the end of the license list when you create your project

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org} -<%>- http://upsilon.cc/zack/
(15:56:48) Zack: e la demo dema ? /\ All one has to do is hit the
(15:57:15) Bac: no, la demo scema \/ right keys at the right time

Nathaniel Gray

Apr 17, 2008, 6:10:54 PM4/17/08
to caml...@inria.fr
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:09 AM, Stefano Zacchiroli <za...@upsilon.cc> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> **OCamlCore.org is ready!**

Congratulations guys, and thanks for your service!
Cheers,
-n8

--
>>>-- Nathaniel Gray -- Caltech Computer Science ------>
>>>-- Mojave Project -- http://mojave.cs.caltech.edu -->

Stefano Zacchiroli

Apr 18, 2008, 4:45:56 AM4/18/08
to caml...@inria.fr
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 03:10:29PM -0700, Nathaniel Gray wrote:
> Congratulations guys, and thanks for your service!

Thank you all for the support.
We now need projects :-)

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org} -<%>- http://upsilon.cc/zack/
(15:56:48) Zack: e la demo dema ? /\ All one has to do is hit the
(15:57:15) Bac: no, la demo scema \/ right keys at the right time

Christopher Conway

Apr 19, 2008, 11:43:21 AM4/19/08
Stefano,

I'm a bit confused about the SCM options. The project registration
page offers only CVS and SVN, but you mention in your email both Git
and darcs. Is it possible to add a project from Git or darcs? Will
there be support for other SCMs (e.g., bzr) in the future?

Chris

> README file to know how to proceed...http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/ocamlcore-theme/http://forge.ocamlcore.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/trunk/README.tx...

David Teller

Apr 19, 2008, 7:38:15 PM4/19/08
to Stefano Zacchiroli, caml...@inria.fr
Just registered "Batteries Included". As a first step, I'm planning to
upload ExtLib and start updating it & completing it based on requests.

Cheers,
David

--

David Teller
Security of Distributed Systems

Richard Jones

Apr 20, 2008, 4:16:37 AM4/20/08
to David Teller, caml...@inria.fr
On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 01:39:14AM +0200, David Teller wrote:
> Just registered "Batteries Included". As a first step, I'm planning to
> upload ExtLib and start updating it & completing it based on requests.

If you mean "updating [ExtLib] & completing it based on requests" then
I hope you'll send all patches back to extlib so they can be included.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

David Teller

Apr 20, 2008, 7:06:01 AM4/20/08
to Richard Jones, caml...@inria.fr
Actually, I didn't mean exactly that, but yes, patches will be sent back
to extlib, of course.

Cheers,
David

--

David Teller
Security of Distributed Systems
http://www.univ-orleans.fr/lifo/Members/David.Teller
Angry researcher: French Universities need reforms, but the LRU act brings liquidations.

Xavier Leroy

Apr 20, 2008, 12:16:49 PM4/20/08
to caml...@inria.fr
> **OCamlCore.org is ready!**

Nice work!

Here is a related question, not specific to Caml but common to all
Gforge-like services. Assuming I'd like to transfer an existing
development to an OCamlCore.org project (I'm thinking of SpamOracle),
is there any way to import my existing CVS repository as a whole,
without losing the history of the project? I couldn't find any hint
on how to do this in the gforge.org documentation.

- Xavier Leroy

Michael Ekstrand

Apr 20, 2008, 2:55:45 PM4/20/08
to caml...@inria.fr
Stefano Zacchiroli <za...@upsilon.cc> writes:
> At the moment, we have set up an hosting service for git and darcs
> (git.ocamlcore.org and darcs.ocamlcore.org). We are looking for
> experienced forge administrator that can allow us to manage this two SCM
> through GForge. Contact us if you are interested.

Question - is there any chance that Mercurial is supported/available? I
tried hg.ocamlcore.org, and it gave me a Darcs project listing.

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
Confused by the strange files? I cryptographically sign my messages.

Sylvain Le Gall

Apr 20, 2008, 5:05:49 PM4/20/08
to caml...@inria.fr
On 20-04-2008, Michael Ekstrand <michae...@elehack.net> wrote:
> Stefano Zacchiroli <za...@upsilon.cc> writes:
>> At the moment, we have set up an hosting service for git and darcs
>> (git.ocamlcore.org and darcs.ocamlcore.org). We are looking for
>> experienced forge administrator that can allow us to manage this two SCM
>> through GForge. Contact us if you are interested.
>
> Question - is there any chance that Mercurial is supported/available? I
> tried hg.ocamlcore.org, and it gave me a Darcs project listing.

We have setup darcs and git for now, but they are not integrated with
the forge.

Submit a features request concerning hg:
http://forge.ocamlcore.org/tracker/?atid=102&group_id=1&func=browse
(provide information about hg, and web interfaces for hg...)

We can setup a hosting like darcs and git for mercurial, but i am not
sure we can integrate it into the forge (i.e. you will need to create
a project in the forge without SCM, and ask admin to create the
corresponding project in the hg.ocamlcore.org).

If you wish to help you can provide OCamlCore admin with a gforge plugin
that allow to manage Hg directly... we will be very happy to integrate
it.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

Sylvain Le Gall

Apr 20, 2008, 5:12:46 PM4/20/08
to caml...@inria.fr
On 20-04-2008, Xavier Leroy <Xavier...@inria.fr> wrote:
>> **OCamlCore.org is ready!**
>
> Nice work!
>
> Here is a related question, not specific to Caml but common to all
> Gforge-like services. Assuming I'd like to transfer an existing
> development to an OCamlCore.org project (I'm thinking of SpamOracle),
> is there any way to import my existing CVS repository as a whole,
> without losing the history of the project? I couldn't find any hint
> on how to do this in the gforge.org documentation.

There is no description because this is hackish ;-)

* create a project with SCM = CVS,
* copy your module/CVSROOT data to your /cvsroot/spamoracle/ using
scp,
* fix rights (you can ssh to the CVS host)
* enjoy using the forge.

This should also work with SVN (svnadmin load).

Since i am not sure of what i am saying, i propose to test this and
write a little documentation. Just create the project spamoracle asking
a CVS SCM and submit a bug to "Site admin" with the tarball of what you
want to inject. I will take care of doing it myself:
http://forge.ocamlcore.org/tracker/?atid=101&group_id=1&func=browse

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

Adrien

Apr 20, 2008, 5:38:35 PM4/20/08
to Sylvain Le Gall, caml...@inria.fr
I just tried to register, went through the first part of the process
and got the confirmation mail.
However I can't activate my account. I get an "Access
denied\n\nCredentials you entered do not correspond to valid account."
error.

My password is secure enough and contains non alphanumeric characters.
Is it possible the system did not like that ? (I had a problem with
that less than two weeks ago)
Also, I don't think it may be a caps lock problem because one has to
repeat his password and the would not have matched (I press shift for
my password).

You may simply delete my account (it's "Camarade_Tux") and I'll try again.

Thanks.

---

Adrien Nader

Adrien

Apr 20, 2008, 5:43:46 PM4/20/08
to Sylvain Le Gall, caml...@inria.fr
Nevermind, I finally managed to see my login name in the confirmation mail.
I had not noticed it as it had gone lowercase and expected two
uppercase characters (which simply means I read the confirmation mail
too quickly).

What is surprising though is that when I tried with CamaradeTux
(underscore removed), I was told the user did not exist but
Camarade_Tux existed for the system.
Or this may be not so surprising, I guess the does-user-exist
comparison is not case-sensitive while the real login check is.

Anyway, the problem is solved. ;)

Stefano Zacchiroli

Apr 21, 2008, 8:52:23 AM4/21/08
to caml...@inria.fr
On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 06:16:40PM +0200, Xavier Leroy wrote:
> Here is a related question, not specific to Caml but common to all
> Gforge-like services. Assuming I'd like to transfer an existing

AFAIK it is not possible in general being "just" a forge user and via
the web interface. However, it is (of course) possible if you can make
the admins do that for you.

Migrating from svn to svn (possibly filtering in between) for example is
trivial: dump on one side / filter / restore in the other.

> development to an OCamlCore.org project (I'm thinking of SpamOracle),
> is there any way to import my existing CVS repository as a whole,
> without losing the history of the project? I couldn't find any hint
> on how to do this in the gforge.org documentation.

We can of course do that for you if you want (and for anyone else of
course, though remember we are not that much :-)), but while we are at
it please consider migrating from CSV to svn (if you really don't want
to migrate to $DISTRIBUTED_VCS). I did that in the past using cvs2svn
and it worked perfectly starting from a CVS repository sized on the
order of 10'000 commit.

Cheers.