[Caml-list] 2D graphing and charting

Jon Harrop

Nov 7, 2007, 11:03:37 PM11/7/07
to caml...@inria.fr

I've been using Mathematica to render the graphs on our site, like the ray
tracer language comparison:

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/languages/ray_tracer/results.html

What free OCaml software might I use to do the same thing?

Till Varoquaux

Nov 7, 2007, 11:15:46 PM11/7/07
to Jon Harrop, caml...@inria.fr
There is an interface to gnuplot. I've never tried it:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ocaml-gnuplot/

Cheers,
Till

--
http://till-varoquaux.blogspot.com/

Hezekiah M. Carty

Nov 8, 2007, 11:06:07 AM11/8/07
to caml...@inria.fr
I forgot to reply to the list, and to mention PsiLab

On 11/7/07, Jon Harrop <j...@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:

> I've been using Mathematica to render the graphs on our site, like the ray
> tracer language comparison:
>
> http://www.ffconsultancy.com/languages/ray_tracer/results.html
>
> What free OCaml software might I use to do the same thing?
>
> --
> Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy Ltd.
> http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?e

There is at least one partial plplot (http://plplot.sourceforge.net/)
binding already in existence
(http://vityok.org.ua/cgi-bin/odd.cgi/Ocaml-plplot), and I'm working
on another one using camlidl rather than Swig.

I haven't put my code out yet because I'd like to finish up some of
the 3D plotting function wrappers first, but if you're interested in
having something sooner I could put out what I have currently. There
is enough there to do 2D plots, and the naming follows the C-library
quite closely.

The already-mentioned gnuplot binding seems to work reasonably as
well, though I've only made very basic 2D plots with it.

PsiLab (http://psilab.sourceforge.net/) is older, and based on OCaml
3.01 or 3.02 I think. But I've been able to get it to build on recent
Linux distributions. It has a fairly high-level binding to the plplot
libraries which is quite easy to use. I have dreams of some day
updating it to work with recent OCaml releases. It might also be a
decent start for a Mathematica-like toplevel with inline plots and so
on if the toplevel customizations could be tied in to labltk or
lablgtk. I don't know how possible this is though.

Hez

Peng Zang

Nov 8, 2007, 8:45:20 PM11/8/07
to caml...@inria.fr

Paul Pelzl

Nov 9, 2007, 1:36:43 AM11/9/07
to caml...@inria.fr
On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 08:44:35PM -0500, Peng Zang wrote:
> I've used mlgrace in the past:
>
> http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~pelzlpj/mlgrace/
>
> Although I've never tried labelled points before...

mlGrace does not currently expose an API to create point labels, but the
xmgrace GUI can do this (under Plot->Set Appearance->Ann. values). So
something similar to Jon's example plot could be generated using
grace_view#plot_many, with a small amount of touch-up work from the GUI.

Paul

Vu Ngoc San

Nov 10, 2007, 8:23:10 AM11/10/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Le Thursday 08 November 2007 04:53:37 Jon Harrop, vous avez écrit :
> I've been using Mathematica to render the graphs on our site, like the ray
> tracer language comparison:
>
> http://www.ffconsultancy.com/languages/ray_tracer/results.html
>
> What free OCaml software might I use to do the same thing?

I'd love to say: just write the following code, which produces the file
http://perso.univ-rennes1.fr/san.vu-ngoc/images/oplot.eps

But I can't, since I don't have any time to release "oplot" seriously before
at least 6 months. So, sorry for the spam, I just couldn't resist :)

San

open Oplot;;
open Oplotmain;;
open Renderinit;;

let dots () = let rec loop n l = if n = 0 then l else
loop (n-1) ((Random.float 1., Random.float 1.)::l) in
loop 50 [];;

let view = view 0. 0. 1. 1.;;

let a = axis 0. 0.;;

let dots_bla = List.rev_map (fun (x,y) -> (x,y,"blabla")) (dots ());;
let dots_foo = List.rev_map (fun (x,y) -> (x,y,"foofoo")) (dots ());;

let d1 = label_dot_plot ~dot:diamond ~view dots_bla;;
let d2 = label_dot_plot ~dot:diamond ~view dots_foo;;

display ([Color black;view;a;Color red] & d1 & [Color blue] & d2) ~dev:gv;;

Vityok

Nov 13, 2007, 5:02:30 AM11/13/07
On 8 , 18:06, "Hezekiah M. Carty" <hca...@atmos.umd.edu> wrote:
> I forgot to reply to the list, and to mention PsiLab
>
> On 11/7/07, Jon Harrop <j...@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
> > I've been using Mathematica to render the graphs on our site, like the ray
> > tracer language comparison:
>
> > http://www.ffconsultancy.com/languages/ray_tracer/results.html
>
> > What free OCaml software might I use to do the same thing?
>
> > --
> > Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy Ltd.
> >http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?e
>
> There is at least one partial plplot (http://plplot.sourceforge.net/)
> binding already in existence
> (http://vityok.org.ua/cgi-bin/odd.cgi/Ocaml-plplot), and I'm working
> on another one using camlidl rather than Swig.

The partial implementation you have pointed is really partial.
Unfortunately, I do
not have enough time to complete it now. If somebody would like to
overtake the
work, I will give my current sources.

With best regards,

Victor