[Caml-list] Bytecode run on AIX - "unknown C primitive" error

Dawid Toton

Jan 19, 2010, 3:30:35 PM1/19/10
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
I have installed part of this OCaml port
http://home.arcor.de/chr_bauer/ocaml-aix.html
on a computer running on AIX. It seems that everything built correctly
except ocamlopt. So I have ocamlrun and standard library and this should
be enough for bytecode to run.

I have to build the bytecode on a different machine (because it's
difficult to do on AIX). I believe this shouldn't induce any problems.

Trivial bytecode executes correctly regardless where it is created.

I set LIBPATH to point to ocaml/stublibs and try running some bytecode
uning Unix module. This results in:
Fatal error: unknown C primitive `unix_getsockopt_bool'

If I compile simple "let _ = Unix.sleep 1" on the target machine, I get
bytecode that causes ocamlrun to crash with:
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

Does anybody have an idea for workaround? Some understanding what's
going on?

I'm using AIX 5.3

Dawid

Christoph Bauer

Jan 20, 2010, 4:20:54 AM1/20/10
to Dawid Toton, caml...@yquem.inria.fr
unfortunatly I haven't a solution for the bytecode stuff. I only use
ocaml with native compiled code. This works very well.

Christoph Bauer

Sylvain Le Gall

Jan 20, 2010, 5:07:41 AM1/20/10
to caml...@inria.fr
On 20-01-2010, Christoph Bauer <christo...@lmsintl.com> wrote:
> unfortunatly I haven't a solution for the bytecode stuff. I only use
> ocaml with native compiled code. This works very well.

I confirm that ocamlopt/AIX works well (thanks to Christoph).

The best solution is maybe to understand why ocamlopt cannot be built ?

Regards
Sylvain Le Gall

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

Christoph Bauer

Jan 20, 2010, 5:37:04 AM1/20/10
to Sylvain Le Gall, caml...@inria.fr
> I confirm that ocamlopt/AIX works well (thanks to Christoph).
>
> The best solution is maybe to understand why ocamlopt cannot
> be built ?

It's a long time since I worked on that.

I suspected that ld, didn't export all needed symbols.
Playing with linker flags didn't help.

With an older version (3.09.3) I also cannot load unix.cma.
I get this error message:

Cannot load required shared library dllunix.
Reason: dynamic loading not supported on this platform.

So in config/s.h I defined for 3.11.0

#define SUPPORT_DYNAMIC_LINKING

and tried to fix the compiler/linker flags in config/Makefile.
The linker is called with -bexpall, but as you can see, it doesn't solve the
case.

Regards,
Christoph Bauer

Ceterum censeo Ocaml 3.11.2 Issue #4844, #4034 et #4644 includam esse

Dawid Toton

Jan 20, 2010, 1:16:46 PM1/20/10
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr

> unfortunatly I haven't a solution for the bytecode stuff. I only use
> ocaml with native compiled code. This works very well.

Native code would also be sufficient (to save me from translating lot of
code to C).

The problem is that the assembler available on AIX doesn't unserstand
power-aix.S:

as -o power-aix.o power-aix.S
Assembler:
power-aix.S: line 103: 1252-023 The symbol .caml_garbage_collection is
not defined.
power-aix.S: line 103: 1252-087 The target of the branch instruction
must be a relocatable or external expression.
power-aix.S: line 457: 1252-023 The symbol caml_young_limit is not defined.
power-aix.S: line 457: 1252-040 The specified expression is not valid.
Make sure that all symbols are defined.
Check the rules on symbols used in an arithmetic expression
concerning relocation.
..... (many similar messages)

How have you obtained running ocamlopt?

Christoph Bauer

Jan 22, 2010, 6:25:31 AM1/22/10
to Dawid Toton, caml...@yquem.inria.fr

> The problem is that the assembler available on AIX doesn't unserstand
> power-aix.S:
>
> as -o power-aix.o power-aix.S
> Assembler:
> power-aix.S: line 103: 1252-023 The symbol
> .caml_garbage_collection is not defined.
> power-aix.S: line 103: 1252-087 The target of the branch instruction
> must be a relocatable or external expression.
> power-aix.S: line 457: 1252-023 The symbol caml_young_limit
> is not defined.
> power-aix.S: line 457: 1252-040 The specified expression is not valid.
> Make sure that all symbols are defined.
> Check the rules on symbols used in an arithmetic expression
> concerning relocation.
> ...... (many similar messages)

Please try:

$ cd asmrun
$ cpp -DSYS_aix power-aix.S > power-aix.s
$ as -u power-aix.s
$ cd ..
$ make opt

Christoph Bauer

Dawid Toton

Jan 27, 2010, 10:08:26 AM1/27/10
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Christoph Bauer pisze:

> Please try:
>
> $ cd asmrun
> $ cpp -DSYS_aix power-aix.S > power-aix.s
> $ as -u power-aix.s
> $ cd ..
> $ make opt
>
> Christoph Bauer

Apparently I can go directly without preprocessor (and cpp I have on the
AIX machine doesn't like asm syntax):

$ cp power-aix.S power-aix.s
$ as -u -o power-aix.o power-aix.s
$ cd ..
$ gmake opt

So I get working native code.
The remaining problem is that camlp4 crashes on some Unix call when
preprocessing. I solved it by preprocessing all the code on another machine.

Thank you for your help.

Dawid

Christoph Bauer

Apr 19, 2010, 10:57:12 AM4/19/10
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr, Sylvain Le Gall, Dawid Toton, Slavcho Nikolov

Dawid wrote:

> So I get working native code.
> The remaining problem is that camlp4 crashes on some Unix call when preprocessing. I solved it by preprocessing all > the code on another machine.

I looked again into that problem. ocamlrun opens a DLL (dllunix.so)
and this dll trys to use symbols from ocamlrun (caml_alloc_string).
Unfortunatly this doesn't work.

The easiest solution is, to link ocamlrun agains libcamlrun_shared.so and to
set an internal libpath.

Download it from here: