[Caml-list] ANNOUNCE: OCaml in Fedora & Red Hat

Richard Jones

Feb 25, 2008, 7:49:13 AM2/25/08
to caml...@inria.fr
This is an update about the state of OCaml in Fedora, one of a very
occasional series (the last update that I posted here was over 6
months ago).

Fedora 8 was released at the end of last year with OCaml 3.10.0 and
support for half a dozen or so OCaml libraries.

Fedora releases happen about every 6 months. Fedora 9 will be
released in a few months, shipping with OCaml 3.10.1[1] and the
following packages:

ocaml base OCaml, ocamldoc, camlp4, etc.
ocaml-SDL SDL
ocaml-calendar Calendar (based on version 2.0)
ocaml-camlimages CAMLimages
ocaml-cryptokit Cryptokit
ocaml-csv CSV support
ocaml-curl ocurl
ocaml-curses Curses support
ocaml-dbus D-Bus (freedesktop.org)
ocaml-expat Expat (XML)
ocaml-extlib Extlib
ocaml-fileutils Fileutils
ocaml-findlib Findlib
ocaml-lablgl OpenGL
ocaml-lablgtk GTK2+
ocaml-libvirt Libvirt (virtualization)
ocaml-ocamlnet OCamlNet
ocaml-pcre Perl-compatible regular expressions
ocaml-ssl SSL
ocaml-ulex Ulex
ocaml-xml-light XML parsing
freetennis Game
emacs-common-tuareg tuareg-mode for emacs and xemacs

The following packages are also waiting to be accepted into Fedora 9,
so either they'll be in the basic version or will be available as
external packages and be pushed to Fedora 10:

cduce waiting for upstream release(?)
felix waiting for upstream release
mldonkey
ocaml-ast-analyze being rewritten(?)
ocaml-cairo
ocaml-camlidl
ocaml-camlp5
ocaml-camomile some license issues to resolve first
ocaml-cil
ocaml-gsl
ocaml-lacaml
ocaml-mysql
ocamldsort
ocamljava experimental, needs a user/champion before going in
ocaml-odbc experimental, only partially builds
ocaml-perl4caml
ocaml-pgocaml
ocaml-postgresql
ocaml-pxp
ocaml-sexplib
ocaml-sqlite
ocaml-type-conv
ocaml-xmlrpc-light
ocaml-zip

You can try out early versions of Fedora 9 right now:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide

As for Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL 5) we currently support OCaml
3.09.3 and a subset of the first list of packages above. As ever,
people interested in long-term (7 years!) stable commercial support
should contact me with their requirements.

Rich.

[1] Perhaps 3.10.2 if released in time and there are no major
incompatibilities with libraries.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

Damien Doligez

Feb 26, 2008, 10:54:30 AM2/26/08
to caml users

On 2008-02-25, at 13:48, Richard Jones wrote:

> [1] Perhaps 3.10.2 if released in time and there are no major
> incompatibilities with libraries.

I'm still waiting for someone to try the release candidate under Vista,
and for someone (else) to try it with MinGW. Or should I conclude that
Vista is so bad that nobody uses it?

-- Damien