[Caml-list] What are people using for linear algebra?

Erik de Castro Lopo

Apr 12, 2007, 6:41:55 PM4/12/07
to caml...@inria.fr
Hi all,

What libraries are people using for linear algebra? I currently only
need simple things like multiplication and addition for now but
probably also need other stuff at some point.

I'd prefer something under the same license as the standard Ocaml
libraries.

TIA,
Erik

Jon Harrop

Apr 12, 2007, 6:52:14 PM4/12/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
On Thursday 12 April 2007 23:38, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What libraries are people using for linear algebra? I currently only
> need simple things like multiplication and addition for now but
> probably also need other stuff at some point.

OCaml for Scientists describes the use of LACAML. See the eigenvalue example
here, for example:

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/complete/

OCaml for Scientists

Christophe TROESTLER

Apr 12, 2007, 7:04:22 PM4/12/07
to mle+...@mega-nerd.com
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+...@mega-nerd.com> wrote:

> What libraries are people using for linear algebra? I currently only
> need simple things like multiplication and addition for now but
> probably also need other stuff at some point.

Lacaml <http://www.ocaml.info/home/ocaml_sources.html#lacaml>.
There is unfortunately no debian package ATM.

Cheers,
ChriS

Erik de Castro Lopo

Apr 12, 2007, 9:26:20 PM4/12/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Jon Harrop wrote:

> OCaml for Scientists describes the use of LACAML. See the eigenvalue example
> here, for example:
>
> http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/complete/

Thanks Jon, I have it compiling.

You might hwoever want to fix the lacaml link on your page. The link
you have is broken but this one (from Christophe) works:

http://www.ocaml.info/home/ocaml_sources.html#lacaml

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo

>From Time magazine, "Numbers" section:
$5 million: Estimated annual cost for a 10-year program that
would identify large asteroids most threatening
to earth.
$75 million: Budget for "Deep Impact", a film about the
devastation caused when a comet hits earth.

Olivier Andrieu

Apr 13, 2007, 4:34:12 AM4/13/07
to Erik de Castro Lopo
On 4/13/07, Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+...@mega-nerd.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What libraries are people using for linear algebra? I currently only
> need simple things like multiplication and addition for now but
> probably also need other stuff at some point.
>
> I'd prefer something under the same license as the standard Ocaml
> libraries.

ocamlgsl, my bindings for the GSL library has some linear algebra too
: http://oandrieu.nerim.net/ocaml/gsl/
http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/

mind that GSL's license is GPL, not LGPL.