[Caml-list] Teaching bottomline, part 1

David Teller

May 22, 2007, 5:40:54 PM5/22/07
to OCaml
Hi everyone,

About six months ago, I sent a mail to this list asking for ideas and
suggestions regarding teaching OCaml. Well, the term is over, except for
a few students who're going to get a second chance at their exams, so I
guess now is the time for a bottom line.

All in all, I consider this a success. In the following mails, I'll
detail the successes and problems me and my students have met during the
term.

= Program of the term =

* Lectures (available in French from my webpage).
* Short exercices during lab courses (also available on my page).
* Short homework (also available on my page).
* Term-long project on a subject selected by the students.
-- Pacman (complete success)
-- RSA Cryptography(success, despite ugly code)
-- Connect 4 (mostly success)
-- Sliding puzzle (complete failure)
-- Sudoku (complete failure)
-- Another Sudoku (mostly success)
-- File explorer (half-success).
* Day-long project on Othello/Reversi. I wrote the complete software,
gave them only the .mli and a pseudo-Makefile and 10 hours to
reimplement the modules of their choice.
-- Rules (complete success)
-- Graphics-based UI (complete failure)
-- LablTk-based UI (mostly failure)
-- AI (mostly failure)