EVERYONE WHO RECEIVES THIS MESSAGE HAD BETTER READ IT THOROUGHLY.
Tru64-UNIX-Managers Information and Rules
This message is a summary of the Tru64-UNIX-managers charter and rules.
Failure to adhere to these guidelines may result in severe chastisement by
the list maintainer and other list participants. Retain a copy of this
statement and refer to it before submitting messages to the list or the list
Last modified: 2002-10-09 |
1. Send only HP Tru64 UNIX (formerly Compaq Tru64 UNIX (formerly |
Digital UNIX (formerly Digital OSF/1))) system management questions and |
summaries to tru64-unix-manag...@ornl.gov. Include your return address in
the body of your message so people can reply directly to you. Avoid MIME
and HTML--many people can't read them.
2. This list is not moderated! Every message that is sent to the list will
be passed on to every member of the list (with a few small exceptions).
3. This mailing list is managed by a utility called Majordomo. You can
subscribe to the list by sending a message like:
Likewise, if you want to remove yourself from the list, send the
to the same address. If that fails, examine the headers of a message
from the list. You should see something like:
From tru64-unix-managers-owner-you=your.dom...@sws1.ctd.ornl.gov Wed Dec 31 17:02:32 1997
Your subscription address is embedded in the return address after
"tru64-unix-managers-owner-" and before "@sws1.ctd.ornl.gov". Just
replace the "=" with an "@". Then send a message to majord...@ornl.gov
unsubscribe tru64-unix-managers y...@your.domain
If you don't see anything like this, let me know and I'll see if I can
find you on the list.
For a complete list of Majordomo commands, use the command:
4. This list is intended to be a quick-turnaround troubleshooting aid for
those who administer and manage Alpha AXP systems running Tru64 UNIX. |
Its primary purpose is to provide the Tru64 UNIX manager with a quick
source of information for time-critical system management problems.
5. This list is not available as a digest. If you don't want a bunch of
list messages cluttering your mailbox, use procmail, deliver, or some
other filtering mechanism to file list messages in a separate folder.
You can also unsubscribe from the list and read it via the web
6. Answers to questions are to be mailed back to the questioner and are
not to be sent to the entire list. Before responding, please make sure
the questioner hasn't already posted a summary. People often respond
very quickly to messages posted to the list and it's not unusual for a
summary to be posted within an hour of the original question. This is
especially important if you only read list messages periodically.
7. The person who originally asked the question has the responsibility of
summarizing the answers and sending the entire summary back to the
list. Consider this the price you pay for the advice you receive. When
a summary is sent back to the list, it should contain the word
"SUMMARY" as the first word of the "Subject" line. The summary should
include a brief description of the original question and a short
synopsis of each of the unique responses. Don't just list the
respondents or say the problem is fixed, and don't just include a copy
of all of the responses.
8. Discussions on any topic are very strongly discouraged and will not
normally be tolerated.
9. Unsolicited Commercial E-mail (UCE), also known as "SPAM", is, of
course, not allowed. If you receive an inappropriate message via the
list, feel free to complain to the originator or the originator's
service provider. Do not post complaints to the list.
10. If it is not technical and specifically related to Tru64 UNIX
management, then it does not belong on this list. Requests for vendor
recommendations are tolerated, provided that the hardware in question
is something that system managers normally purchase.
11. Requests for software (free or otherwise) should be limited to software
that is directly related to Tru64 UNIX management.
12. Tru64 UNIX-related job offers must be submitted for posting to the list |
owner at tru64-unix-managers-ow...@ornl.gov. Resumes should be posted |
to the relevant *.resumes newsgroups. |
13. Please...Think before you send a message! Ask yourself "Is this really
appropriate?" There are enough other newsgroups and mailing lists
around to cover the marginal topics. Perhaps there is another forum
that is more appropriate.
14. Tru64-UNIX-Managers messages are archived and available via the World
Wide Web (WWW):
A European web archive is also available:
15. Similar lists for non-Tru64 UNIX platforms are:
Vendor List Name How to Subscribe
====== ========= ================
Cray unicos-l ask unicos-l-requ...@cug.org
(CUG members only)
DEC AlphaNT send "subscribe alphant" to
DEC decstation-managers send "subscribe decstation-managers"
HP hpux-admin send "subscribe hpux-admin" to
IBM AIX-L send "subscribe aix-l your name" to
Red Hat axp-list send "subscribe" to |
SGI info-iris ask info-iris-requ...@arl.mil
(high volume: duplicates
Sun sunmanagers http://www.sunmanagers.org/ |
16. Other forums that relate to DEC Alpha systems:
comp.sys.dec includes all DEC hardware and software
comp.unix.tru64 Tru64 UNIX on the Alpha platform
comp.os.vms VMS issues for VAX and Alpha platforms
vmsnet.alpha VMS on Alpha platforms
Oak Ridge National Laboratory