bzr failures

Johannes Sasongko

Mar 30, 2010, 8:34:01 PM3/30/10
to exaile...@googlegroups.com
(Cross-posting from -devel with a bit more info.)

Hi all,

We've just upgraded most of Exaile's bzr repositories to format 2a
(the default since bzr 2.0). You may need to run `bzr upgrade` on your
branch location to do further bzr operations. If you are using a
shared repository (bzr init-repo), you need to upgrade the repository
and the branch.

What we didn't know was that bzr has an obscure bug [1] which may
cause old branches/checkouts to no longer able to communicate with the
upgraded remote branch. There is some indication that it may be
because--a long time ago--we migrated our code from svn; it's not a
confirmed cause, though.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/522637

You may or may not experience this. If you do, you will have to
re-branch / re-checkout. Make sure to backup any changes that you
have. If you are using a shared repository and getting this error,
your whole repository may be affected now, and the best course is to
completely create a new repository and migrate your branches manually.
At the moment we don't know what happens if your shared repository
also contains branches from other projects.

Sorry for the inconvenience, especially if you have a branch with lots
of changes. If you have insights/solutions, feel free to share. You
can also contribute to the bzr bug report if you have any new
information.

Regards,
Johannes