consciousness

selva kumar

Jul 1, 2011, 7:23:09 AM7/1/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Is consciousness causally effective ?

I found this question in previous threads,but I didn't find a answer.

Bruno Marchal

Jul 2, 2011, 7:27:35 AM7/2/11

On 01 Jul 2011, at 13:23, selva kumar wrote:

> Is consciousness causally effective ?
>
> I found this question in previous threads,but I didn't find a answer.

Was it in the FOR list (on the book Fabric of reality by David
Deutsch) ? I thought I did answer this question, which is a very
imprtant and fundamental question.

It is also a tricky question, which is very similar or related to the
question of free-will, and it can lead to vocabulary issue. I often
defend the idea that consciousness is effective. Indeed the role I
usually defend for consciousness is a relative self-speeding up
ability. Yet the question is tricky, especially due to the presence of
the "causally", which is harder to grasp or define than
"consciousness" itself.

Let me try to explain. For this I need some definition, and I hope for
some understanding of the UDA and a bit of AUDA. Ask precision if
needed.

The main ingredient for the explanation are three theorems due to Gödel:

- the Gödel completeness theorem (available for machine talking first
order logic or a sufficiently effective higher order logic). The
theorem says that a theory or machine is consistent (syntactical
notion, = ~Bf) iff the theory has a model (a mathematical structure in
which it makes sense to say that a proposition is true). I will
rephrase this by saying that a machine is consistent if and only if
the machine's beliefs make sense in some reality.

- the Gödel second incompleteness theorem ~Bf -> ~B(~Bf): if the
machine is consistent, then this is not provable by the machine. So if
the beliefs are real in some reality, the machine cannot prove the
existence of that reality. This is used in some strict way, because we
don't assume the machine can prove its completeness (despite this has
shown to be the case by Orey). This entails that eventually, the
machine can add as new axiom its own consistency, but this leads to a
new machine, for which a novel notion of consistency appears, and the
'new' machine can still not prove the existence of a reality
"satisfying its beliefs. yet that machine can easily prove the
consistency of the machine she was. This can be reitered as many times
as their are (constructive) ordinals, and this is what I describe as a
climbing from G to G*. The modal logic of self-reference remains
unchanged, but the arithmetical interpretation of it expands. An
infinity of previously undecidable propositions become decidable,
and ... another phenomenon occurs:

- Gödel length of proof theorem. Once a machine adds an undecidable
proposition, like its own consistency, as a new axiom/belief, not only
an infinity of (arithmetical) propositions become decidable, but an
infinity of already provable propositions get shorter proofs. Indeed,
and amazingly enough, for any number x, we can find a proposition
which proofs will be x times shorter than its shorter proof in the
beliefs system without the undecidable proposition. A similar, but not
entirely equivalent theorem is true for universal computation ability,
showing in particular that there is no bound to the rapidity of
computers, and this just by change of the software (alas, with finite
numbers of exceptions in the *effective* self-speeding up: but
evolution of species needs not to be effective or programmable in
advance).

Now I suggest to (re)define consciousness as a machine (instinctive,
preprogrammed) ability to bet on a reality. This is equivalent
(stricto sensu: the machine does not need to know this) to an ability
of betting its own consistency (excluding that very new axiom to avoid
inconsistency). As a universal system, this will speed-up the machine
relatively to the probable local universal system(s) and will in that
way augment its freedom degree. If two machines play ping-pong, the
machine which is quicker has a greater range of possible moves/
strategy than its opponent.

So the answer to the question "is consciousness effective" would be
yes, if you accept such definition.

Is that consciousness *causally* effective? That is the tricky part
related to free will. If you accept the definition of free will that I
often suggested, then the answer is yes. Causality will have its
normal "physical definition", except that with comp such physicalness
is given by an arithmetical quantization (based on the material
hypostase defined by Bp & Dp): p physically causes q, iff something
like BD(BDp -> BDq). I recall Dp = ~B ~p. But of course, in God eyes,
there is only true (and false) number relations. The löbian phenomenon
then shows that the consciousness self-speeding up is coupled with the
building of the reality that the machine bet on. At that level, it is
like if consciousness is the main force, perhaps the only original
one, in the physical universe! This needs still more work to make
precise enough. There is a complex tradeoff in between the "causally"
and the "effective" at play, I think.

I hope this was not too technical. The work of Gödel plays a
fundamental role. This explanation is detailed in "Conscience et
Mécanisme", and related more precisely to the inference inductive frame.

To sum up: machine consciousness, in the theory, confers self-speeding
up abilities to the machine with respect to the most probable
continuation/universal-machine. It is obviously something useful for
self-moving creature: to make them able to anticipate and avoid
obstacles, which would explain why the self-moving creatures have
developed self-reflexive brains, and become Löbian (self-conscious).
Note that here the role is attributed to self-consciousness, and not
really to consciousness. But you need consciousness to have self-
consciousness. Consciousness per se has no role, like in pure
contemplation, but once reflected in the Löbian way, it might be the
stronger causally effective force operating in the 'arithmetical
truth', the very origin of the (self) acceleration/force.

Note that the Gödel speed-up theorem is not hard to prove. There is a
simple proof of it in the excellent book by Torkel Franzen "Gödel's
theorem An Incomplete Guide To Its Use and Abuse" which I recommend
the reading (despite it is more on the abuses than the uses). The
original paper is in the book by Davis: the undecidable (republished
in Dover), and which I consider as a bible for "machine's theology".

Bruno

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/

Stephen Paul King

Jul 2, 2011, 10:53:32 AM7/2/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruno,

    Pretty freaking cool post! A few comments...

On 01 Jul 2011, at 13:23, selva kumar wrote:

> Is consciousness causally effective ?
>
> I found this question in previous threads,but I didn't find a answer.

[Bruno Marchal]
Was it in the FOR list (on the book Fabric of reality by David
Deutsch) ? I thought I did answer this question, which is a very
important and fundamental question.
***
[SPK]

    The "machine can easily prove the consistency of the machine she was"! Woooo! "Cogito ergo sum" - I think therefore I was, just as Pratt explained in his paper and another author explains here.
***

[Bruno Marchal]
[...]

    What would prevent this speed-up from going to infinitely fast? In my idea the speed up (and regress) is limited by the quantity of physical resource that is available to the machine, so the existence of a physical world – even if it is emergent and not primitive – is necessary. I suspect that the Stone spaces – dual to the logical algebras (which I am identifying with your notion of machine)- will have the necessary concreteness to met this requirement but this remains to be proven.
***

[Bruno Marchal]
**
[SPK]
    From what I have studied so far the löbian phenomenon is captured well in my bisimulation algebra, but there is no notion of box or diamond in it that I can find in the expressions of relations “between” machines. It could be that we can only bet on the reality of others in terms of our own internal notion of reality, as in the case of, informally stated, “I bet that your reality is similar to mine”. If it is true then the appearance of an interaction will occur. If it is false no appearance will obtain. So only the successful bets will yield realities that have a continuance in the “time” sense of an arbitrarily long sequence of realities.
    This line of thinking dovetails nicely with the Observer Moment idea as has been discussed and seems to be remarkably free of White Rabbits and other Harry Potterisms because sequences could only continue if the new reality does not introduce any new aspect that contradicts content of the prior machines. It is like an endless Surprise 20 Questions game where “all answers are allowed except those that would produce a contradiction” is the rule. it is similar to the notion of stare decisis in jurisprudence.
**

[Bruno Marchal]
I hope this was not too technical. The work of Gödel plays a
fundamental role. This explanation is detailed in "Conscience et
Mécanisme", and related more precisely to the inference inductive frame.

**
[SPK]
    It is the best post that I have seen on this subject from you. Thank you for it!
***

[Bruno Marchal]
To sum up: machine consciousness, in the theory, confers self-speeding
up abilities to the machine with respect to the most probable
continuation/universal-machine.

**
[SPK]
    Could you elaborate a bit more on the part where you say "...self-speeding up abilities to the machine with respect to the most probable continuation/universal-machine"? What defines the "most probable"? From what I can tell from my analysis using the bisimulation idea, there is no notion of "most probable" in a strict sense but we obtain something like it my using the bisimularity relation as a metric of sorts. One would  take the “I bet that your reality is similar to mine” idea and sums over (not sure if that is the proper operator) all of the simulations of one system/machine of some other. The ones that are most similar would add and the ones that are more different would subtract, like waves interfering.
    This new twist of a speed-up is something that I have to account for... But it seems similar to the telescope property where:

A = A~A and ~ is the bisimulation relation.

A ~B~C~B~A = A~B~A = A;

    The telescope can start off arbitrarily large (but finite AFAIK) but will still collapse to the singleton iff the bisimularity of the sequent exist. This property looks exactly like the shortening of the proofs that you mentioned previously if one considers the equivalent of the symbols making up the proof as being capable of being machines themselves.
    BTW, I use the term “monad”, as per Leibniz’ idea, instead of Machine because it seems to me that these entities are far more like Leibniz’ Monads than the idea of a machine that most people have. One thing though: Leibniz’ postulate of a “pre-ordained harmony” is impossible because for it to exist it will require the solving of an uncountable infinite NP-Hard problem in less than 1 step. Even with infinite computational resources this is impossible! I solve that fatality by not requiring the Harmony to be computed in advance. Instead it is proposed that the computation is perpetual and ongoing, ala your UD.

**

[Bruno Marchal]
[...]

    This is beautiful stuff Bruno! Bravo, Bravo! Now if I could learn enough of the math to write up the Stone duality aspect of this! Working on it! ;-)

Onward,

Stephen

Pzomby

Jul 2, 2011, 2:22:42 PM7/2/11
to Everything List

On Jul 1, 4:23 am, selva kumar <selvakr1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is consciousness causally effective ?

In my opinion, yes, if in simple terms, it is logically correct to
state: A property of consciousness is….the capacity and ability of
individual human consciousness to create intentionally desired
physical and mental effects.

Bruno Marchal

Jul 2, 2011, 3:24:02 PM7/2/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephen,

On 02 Jul 2011, at 16:53, Stephen Paul King wrote:

[SPK]
    Could you elaborate a bit more on the part where you say "...self-speeding up abilities to the machine with respect to the most probable continuation/universal-machine"? What defines the "most probable"?

The universal dovetailing, or equivalently the true sigma_ sentences and their proofs, and relative proof. This follows from the UD argument.
The logic of "probability one" can already be characterized by the logic of the "arithmetical quantization" BDp with p a Sigma_1 propositions. It gives an arithmetical non boolean sort of quantum logic.I think that if you search on the name of "Goldblatt" in the archive you might find longer explanation that I have already given to you on this, if I remember well.

I am just translating a problem in philosophy/theology into a problem in math by using the comp hypothesis to justify the use of computer science and mathematical logic.

I have taken a look at the Steve Vickers slides you pointed too. It is rather complex and does not seem related to comp in an easy way. It it can be related at all, it has to be related through the S4Grz1 ("universal soul, the "pure" first person") and X1* ("universal feeler") arithmetical points of view.

Bruno

B Soroud

Jul 2, 2011, 3:24:18 PM7/2/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
"A property of consciousness is"

it sounds like you are reifying "consciousness"... consciousness is not a thing in itself, consciousness does not exist in and of itself... it can only be understood within the interdependent and complex framework of sensation, bodies, space.... consciousness of something, in and through something.... inseparable from the system of space, energy, matter and motion... and essential equal to it.... not something seperate and distinct from it that can exist independently of it....

consciousness is not something that exists in itself.... consciousness is always embodied consciousness of life.... in and through life and the complex instrument of form and the mystery of sensation and generation. Consciousness is a phenomena of the "body" and its natural system... and is equal to that "body" and "body system".

it sounds like you guys are reifing consciousness....

B Soroud

Jul 2, 2011, 3:25:03 PM7/2/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
furthermore you seem to conceive of a consciousness apart from its properties... you are making the erroneous distinction of attribute and essence.... you sound much like Descartes.

Pzomby

Jul 2, 2011, 3:36:43 PM7/2/11
to Everything List
Perhaps if I restate my opinion as:

In my opinion, yes, if in simple terms it is logically correct to
state: A property of “human embodied’ consciousness is….the capacity
and ability of individual ‘human embodied’ consciousness to create
intentionally desired physical and mental effects.

Stephen Paul King

Jul 2, 2011, 4:05:14 PM7/2/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruno,
Hi Stephen,
[SPK]

    OK. I was just wanting to be clear in my understanding. I am studying Vickers’ book and several other that you recommended. Thank you for your quick reply.

One other question: could you say that X1* is like a universal attributor, in the sense of assignation or defining all maps of 1p “feelings” to 3p ....?

Onward!

Stephen

Stephen Paul King

Jul 2, 2011, 4:23:46 PM7/2/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Hi B,

    Speaking only for myself, I do believe that consciousness is causally effective, in the sense that if it did not exist then certain other features of the world would not exist and that my belief that I (an indicator for inner subjective experience of “being in the world”) is not just an illusion.
    Is this belief justified? Hard to say, but so far I have not found that the materialist, physicalist, etc. have successfully given me unassailable reasons to believe that by experience of “being in the world” is just some kind of nonsense that we lie to ourselves about., pace Dennett, Churchland, etc.
    I supposed that I might be considered a dualist, but unlike Descartes, I argue against the notion of substance as an ontological primitive; instead it is proposed that all properties emerge from process ala Bergson and Heraclitus. I see mind and body as a specific instantiations of the Stone duality and the relation between them is an isomorphism. There is no “causal link” between the two, in the Humean sense, needed. For an elaboration of this view see: http://boole.stanford.edu/pub/ratmech.pdf
    AFAIK, Bruno adheres to an Idealist version of Platonism. We welcome your thoughts and comments.

Onward!

Stephen

Jul 2, 2011, 5:08:42 PM7/2/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
it just seems to me that mentality might be a better term to use then consciousness...

this is a notoriously difficult problem....

B Soroud

Jul 2, 2011, 5:10:59 PM7/2/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
a question I want to pose to the community as well as Bruno is:

Bruno, have you ever seriously studied Nietzsche... he is probably the single most persuasive critic of Platonism that has ever existed.

B Soroud

Jul 2, 2011, 5:25:43 PM7/2/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
it just occurred to me that some of these theory of everything people might find a little story of Voltaire's called Micromegas interesting...

http://www.wondersmith.com/scifi/micro.htm

"He promised to give them a rare book of philosophy, written in minute characters, for their special use, telling all that can be known of the ultimate essence of things, and he actually gave them the volume ere his departure. It was carried to Paris and laid before the Academy of Sciences; but when the old secretary came to open it, the pages were blank.

'Ah!' said he. 'Just as I expected." (Micromegas)

John Mikes

Jul 2, 2011, 6:55:13 PM7/2/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bruno, here we go again....

A very colorful discussion about that darn consciousness, indeed, as it develops. I find YOUR scholarly text a bit skewed (Goedel and Goedel) since math logic is IMO a product of human(!) consciousness. I do not comment on your "MACHINE" consciousness, since I don't feel comfortable as a machine with set inventory/design, even a universal one - IF IT IS a machine. The human intellect (another unknown! - not sarcastically said) has no borders or inventory, at least we have not experienced such so far.

A "causally effective" Ccness? I wrote already my 'causality' deviation as considered within the 'model' of our so far acquired knowledge and the deterministic 'reasons' considered only by factors 'within', while the still unknown factors (maybe lots of such) also influence all that happens assigned to 'causality' of the partial listing. (This is the reason why our terms are not 'absolute' and "The Truth".) We may 'list' EFFECTIVE causes, but maybe not all.
<I would not like to offend you with my hint to 'the world beyond arithmetical truth (logic).>
------------------------
 Soroud's expression: "consciousness is always embodied consciousness of life..."
begs the question: what is life? how different is it from Ccness, if I identify the latter as
'response to relations' (information)? what else is life?
They  seem to be close in such formulation. None of them "human" or even "terrestrial".
Not even 'bodily ascertainable' which is a part of the figment "physical world".
The JCS-online list has a long discussion about structured and unstructured dualism.
I think Descartes HAD to include the soul into his 'human' unit to escape from Inquisition and that is why he anticipated the "complexity" in our time's idea - that includes the body and mind with its bi sided influences as a body-soul dualism. (I don't want to start a battle on this).

Consciousness - as the process of responding to relations is universal, human and terrestrial concepts are includable, it is independent of our so far acquired knowledge and does not restrict the application to the physical world and so the domains developed by the human  mind. I have no theory to that, am insecure about the deterministic 'happening' - a term that requires 'time' - for a system where there is no time-factor identified as we know it. The so far perceived reality I know of did not give me(!) answers to a lot of questions.
That's why I say I am agnostic.

John Mikes

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 7:27 AM, Bruno Marchal <mar...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

[...]

B Soroud

Jul 2, 2011, 9:56:01 PM7/2/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Mikes, I like your definition of consciousness as "the phenomena of
responding to relations".... note a critical change.

I think that is the most excellent working definition of consciousness
I've come across.

What is life? That is one of those what ifs.... you know the one in a trillion.

But his has something to do with being entangled in a web of relations.

I like how you do out with time.... I like to talk about space and
motion but not time.... There is too much humaneness and analogy to
time to time... Time is too abstract and arbitrary and convenient.

But why do you say "figment physical word", do you deny the brute
existential facts of corporeality upon which you stand..... such as
the fact that you come out of your mother womb and were sheltered,
instructed, and fed by that mother.

Constantine Pseudonymous

Jul 2, 2011, 10:56:50 PM7/2/11
to Everything List

> I think Descartes HAD to include the soul into his 'human' unit to escape
> from Inquisition and that is why he anticipated the "complexity" in our
> time's idea - that includes the body and *mind* with its bi sided influences
> as a body-soul dualism. (I don't want to start a battle on this).

re-read Descartes.... (no not on wikipedia)

> Consciousness - as the process of responding to relations is universal,

that is a third-person view of consciousness.... an outside view of
consciousness rotted in a first-person consciousness.... you don't
have to study phenomenology to understand or describe that first-
person.... it is brute fact, bare perception, albeit of a
spiritualized nature and conditioned not only by body but also by
mind...... hence elusive, mutable, and temporal as-it-is.... it would
be ridiculous to conceive of post-mortem consciousness.... if you ask
me.... unless you want to assert that we are like babies being carried
around by mother nature for some ultimate goal and through some
unknown and unaccounted for mechanism.... and you would have to
advance a world-view of a more spiritualized system of nature
overlapping it all... this would be a futile endeavor.

if you ask me, there really isn't something called consciousness.....
there is only imagination..... and whatever else there is besides
imagination can only be known through imagination and in the distorted
and abstracted terms of imagination.... what ever else exists besides
imagination is a x.... back to Kant.

B Soroud

Jul 3, 2011, 12:44:30 AM7/3/11
to Everything List
Yes indeed, the notion of consciousness, perception, primary
sensation, or experience without or independent of phenomena... Is
simply ridiculous.... The notion of absolute subjective consciousness
devoid of either phenomena or a body? Simply ridiculous.

There is no consciousness without phenomena and there is no
consciousness without a body.... The trick here is that the notion
"body" may be much more complex and multilayered then we presently
know or think.

On Saturday, July 2, 2011, Constantine Pseudonymous <bso...@gmail.com> wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; I think Descartes HAD to include the soul into his 'human'
unit to escape
&gt;&gt; from Inquisition and that is why he anticipated the
&quot;complexity&quot; in our
&gt;&gt; time's idea - that includes the body and *mind* with its bi
sided influences
&gt;&gt; as a body-soul dualism. (I don't want to start a battle on this).
&gt;
&gt; re-read Descartes.... (no not on wikipedia)
&gt;
&gt;&gt; Consciousness - as the process of responding to relations is universal,
&gt;
&gt; that is a third-person view of consciousness.... an outside view of
&gt; consciousness rotted in a first-person consciousness.... you don't
&gt; have to study phenomenology to understand or describe that first-
&gt; person.... it is brute fact, bare perception, albeit of a
&gt; spiritualized nature and conditioned not only by body but also by
&gt; mind...... hence elusive, mutable, and temporal as-it-is.... it would
&gt; be ridiculous to conceive of post-mortem consciousness.... if you ask
&gt; me.... unless you want to assert that we are like babies being carried
&gt; around by mother nature for some ultimate goal and through some
&gt; unknown  and unaccounted for mechanism.... and you would have to
&gt; advance a world-view of a more spiritualized system of nature
&gt; overlapping it all... this would be a futile endeavor.
&gt;
&gt; if you ask me, there really isn't something called consciousness.....
&gt; there is only imagination..... and whatever else there is besides
&gt; imagination can only be known through imagination and in the distorted
&gt; and abstracted terms of imagination.... what ever else exists besides
&gt; imagination is a x.... back to Kant.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; --
&gt; You received this message because you are subscribed to the
Google Groups &quot;Everything List&quot; group.
&gt; To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
everything-li...@googlegroups.com.
&gt; For more options, visit this group at
&gt;
&gt;

B Soroud

Jul 3, 2011, 12:49:17 AM7/3/11
to Everything List
Yes yes... There is no consciousness without phenomena because there
would be nothing to be conscious of. Also, the notion that there is
something (a subject) that is conscious of phenomena is a
presupposition, something merely concluded for conveniences sake....
But inherently and eternally unprovable.

On Saturday, July 2, 2011, B Soroud <bso...@gmail.com> wrote:
&gt; Yes indeed, the notion of consciousness, perception, primary
&gt; sensation, or experience without or independent of phenomena... Is
&gt; simply ridiculous.... The notion of absolute subjective consciousness
&gt; devoid of either phenomena or a body? Simply ridiculous.
&gt;
&gt; There is no consciousness without phenomena and there is no
&gt; consciousness without a body.... The trick here is that the notion
&gt; &quot;body&quot; may be much more complex and multilayered then
we presently
&gt; know or think.
&gt;
&gt; On Saturday, July 2, 2011, Constantine Pseudonymous
&lt;bso...@gmail.com&gt; wrote:
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;&amp;gt; I think Descartes HAD to include the soul into his 'human'
&gt; unit to escape
&gt; &amp;gt;&amp;gt; from Inquisition and that is why he anticipated the
&gt; &amp;quot;complexity&amp;quot; in our
&gt; &amp;gt;&amp;gt; time's idea - that includes the body and *mind*
with its bi
&gt; sided influences
&gt; &amp;gt;&amp;gt; as a body-soul dualism. (I don't want to start a
battle on this).
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; re-read Descartes.... (no not on wikipedia)
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;&amp;gt; Consciousness - as the process of responding to
relations is universal,
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; that is a third-person view of consciousness.... an
outside view of
&gt; &amp;gt; consciousness rotted in a first-person consciousness.... you don't
&gt; &amp;gt; have to study phenomenology to understand or describe that first-
&gt; &amp;gt; person.... it is brute fact, bare perception, albeit of a
&gt; &amp;gt; spiritualized nature and conditioned not only by body but also by
&gt; &amp;gt; mind...... hence elusive, mutable, and temporal
as-it-is.... it would
&gt; &amp;gt; be ridiculous to conceive of post-mortem
consciousness.... if you ask
&gt; &amp;gt; me.... unless you want to assert that we are like babies
being carried
&gt; &amp;gt; around by mother nature for some ultimate goal and through some
&gt; &amp;gt; unknown  and unaccounted for mechanism.... and you would have to
&gt; &amp;gt; advance a world-view of a more spiritualized system of nature
&gt; &amp;gt; overlapping it all... this would be a futile endeavor.
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; if you ask me, there really isn't something called
consciousness.....
&gt; &amp;gt; there is only imagination..... and whatever else there is besides
&gt; &amp;gt; imagination can only be known through imagination and in
the distorted
&gt; &amp;gt; and abstracted terms of imagination.... what ever else
exists besides
&gt; &amp;gt; imagination is a x.... back to Kant.
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; --
&gt; &amp;gt; You received this message because you are subscribed to the
&gt; Google Groups &amp;quot;Everything List&amp;quot; group.
&gt; &amp;gt; To post to this group, send email to
everyth...@googlegroups.com.
&gt; &amp;gt; To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
&gt; everything-li...@googlegroups.com.
&gt; &amp;gt; For more options, visit this group at
&gt; http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt;

B Soroud

Jul 3, 2011, 1:02:45 AM7/3/11
to Everything List
Yes, restated... There us no experience in the absence of phenomenal
consciousness, no experience without phenomena.... Unless of course
there is a subtler field of luminous forces... And it has become clear
that the notion of an experiencer is absolutely ungrounded and
unprovable....

On Saturday, July 2, 2011, B Soroud <bso...@gmail.com> wrote:

&gt; Yes yes... There is no consciousness without phenomena  because there
&gt; would be nothing to be conscious of. Also, the notion that there is
&gt; something (a subject) that is conscious of phenomena is a
&gt; presupposition, something merely concluded for conveniences sake....
&gt; But inherently and eternally unprovable.
&gt;
&gt; On Saturday, July 2, 2011, B Soroud &lt;bso...@gmail.com&gt; wrote:
&gt; &amp;gt; Yes indeed, the notion of consciousness, perception, primary
&gt; &amp;gt; sensation, or experience without or independent of phenomena... Is
&gt; &amp;gt; simply ridiculous.... The notion of absolute subjective
consciousness
&gt; &amp;gt; devoid of either phenomena or a body? Simply ridiculous.
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; There is no consciousness without phenomena and there is no
&gt; &amp;gt; consciousness without a body.... The trick here is that the notion
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;quot;body&amp;quot; may be much more complex and
multilayered then
&gt; we presently
&gt; &amp;gt; know or think.
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; On Saturday, July 2, 2011, Constantine Pseudonymous
&gt; &amp;lt;bso...@gmail.com&amp;gt; wrote:
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;gt; I think Descartes HAD to

include the soul into his 'human'

&gt; &amp;gt; unit to escape
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;gt; from Inquisition and that is
why he anticipated the
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;quot;complexity&amp;amp;quot; in our
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;gt; time's idea - that includes the
body and *mind*
&gt; with its bi
&gt; &amp;gt; sided influences
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;gt; as a body-soul dualism. (I

don't want to start a

&gt; battle on this).
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; re-read Descartes.... (no not on wikipedia)
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;gt; Consciousness - as the process
of responding to
&gt; relations is universal,
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; that is a third-person view of consciousness.... an
&gt; outside view of
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; consciousness rotted in a first-person
consciousness.... you don't
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; have to study phenomenology to understand
or describe that first-
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; person.... it is brute fact, bare
perception, albeit of a
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; spiritualized nature and conditioned not

only by body but also by

&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; mind...... hence elusive, mutable, and temporal
&gt; as-it-is.... it would
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; be ridiculous to conceive of post-mortem
&gt; consciousness.... if you ask
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; me.... unless you want to assert that we
are like babies
&gt; being carried
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; around by mother nature for some ultimate
goal and through some
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; unknown  and unaccounted for mechanism....

and you would have to

&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; advance a world-view of a more
spiritualized system of nature
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; overlapping it all... this would be a
futile endeavor.
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; if you ask me, there really isn't something called
&gt; consciousness.....
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; there is only imagination..... and whatever
else there is besides
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; imagination can only be known through
imagination and in
&gt; the distorted
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; and abstracted terms of imagination....
what ever else
&gt; exists besides
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; imagination is a x.... back to Kant.
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; --
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; You received this message because you are
subscribed to the
&gt; &amp;gt; Google Groups &amp;amp;quot;Everything List&amp;amp;quot; group.
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; To post to this group, send email to
&gt; everyth...@googlegroups.com.
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
&gt; &amp;gt; everything-li...@googlegroups.com.
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; For more options, visit this group at
&gt; &amp;gt; http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt;
&gt; &amp;gt;
&gt;

Stephen Paul King

Jul 3, 2011, 1:33:44 AM7/3/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
This is weird! Two people with the same email address talking to each other
or one person talking to himself?!

Stephen

everything-li...@googlegroups.com.

B Soroud

Jul 3, 2011, 1:54:59 AM7/3/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
That's how my mind works... Lol.

On Saturday, July 2, 2011, Stephen Paul King <step...@charter.net> wrote:
&gt; This is weird! Two people with the same email address talking to

each other or one person talking to himself?!

&gt;
&gt; Stephen
&gt;
&gt; -----Original Message----- From: B Soroud
&gt; Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2011 12:44 AM
&gt; To: Everything List
&gt; Subject: Re: consciousness
&gt;

&lt;bso...@gmail.com&gt; wrote:
[...]

Jason Resch

Jul 3, 2011, 3:29:12 AM7/3/11
On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 6:23 AM, selva kumar <selva...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is consciousness causally effective ?

If it is not causally effective, then you must explain what caused the word "consciousness" to enter our
 lexicon and what caused the field of pihlosophy of mind, and all the various books on the subject of consciousness.  The dirty secret of epiphenominalism (the theory that consciousness is casually inert) is that if it were a true theory, the theory of epiphenominalism would be entirely private and unsharable.  The fact that a theory was generated and shared to explain consciousness proves consciousness has effects.  Even the fact that we are discussing it now in this thread can be taken as evidence of its causal effects.

Jason

selva kumar

Jul 3, 2011, 3:35:33 AM7/3/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com

Then by your definition..Consciousness is our ability to think ?

selva kumar

Jul 3, 2011, 3:51:21 AM7/3/11
On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Bruno Marchal <mar...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

[...]

Extrapolating this and working this on human-machine,consider this..
If we firmly believe that all our proofs and instincts on mathematical truths are correct,will we get shorter proofs ? Now, this turns into a proof for existence of power of belief..(?).
Also,speaking in a strict way,it means If you believe you are intelligent,then you become more intelligent (which is in immediate contracdiction with godel's second incompleteness theorem and your smallest theory on intelligence )
[...]

Why do you always limit the definition of consciousness(atleast machine consciousness) to its ability to learn alone ?
why shouldn't free-will and sensory experiences(qualia,if you believe in it)be part (rather than being a consequence or precondition) of consciousness itself ? In the absence of consciousness,there is indeed absence of free-will and experiencing qualia.
In that case,we can't prove that a universal machine is conscious.

Note that the Gödel speed-up theorem is not hard to prove. There is a simple proof of it in the excellent book by Torkel Franzen "Gödel's theorem An Incomplete Guide To Its Use and Abuse" which I recommend the reading (despite it is more on the abuses than the uses). The original paper is in the book by Davis: the undecidable (republished in Dover), and which I consider as a bible for "machine's theology".

Bruno

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/

selva

Jul 3, 2011, 4:36:18 AM7/3/11
to Everything List

On Jul 1, 4:23 pm, selva kumar <selvakr1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is consciousness causally effective ?
>
> I found this question in previous threads,but I didn't find a answer.

I believe consciousness is a monitoring system (aka awareness)

When our hand is moved obeying some computations,there is a ON-SCREEN
DISPLAY going on in the brain: " my hand is moving "

When we are learning something ,DISPLAY : "your are learning this and
this " and saves it with a lot of tags in it,so that when you learn
something new which includes a tagged word,it opens the old saved data
and updates it.
Without this monitoring and liaison system our brain stumbles.

And this monitoring system is acts only when the actions are related
to the cerebrum of the brain and not to cerebellum where primary motor
functions are saved.
This is why we are not concentrating on our speech while we are
speaking.

Thus,in my belief, in the absence of this monitoring system,the
functions of cerebrum gets affected but not that of cerebellum.
Thats why we can speak even while we are asleep. so,casually effective
in case of cerebrum but not in case of cerebellum.

selva kumar

Jul 3, 2011, 5:13:19 AM7/3/11
to Everything List
I believe I oversimplified things in my previous post.But it is sort of what I believe in.

m.a.

Jul 3, 2011, 9:49:29 AM7/3/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
I believe consciousness is a carrier signal like the faint hum we hear when
a radio station is on but silent. It is modulated like a radio signal by
sensory input from external and internal sources. All animals have it but
only man with his abstract reasoning ability is able to theorize its
existence. Modern man experiences as many inputs from the speech and
conceptual centers of his mind as he does from the world outside. We can
never experience pure consciousness because we can never silence the
continuous influx of sensory data; but we intuit its existence so strongly
that we speak of it with absolute confidence in its facticity. m.a.

Bruno Marchal

Jul 3, 2011, 10:34:59 AM7/3/11
On 02 Jul 2011, at 21:24, B Soroud wrote:

[...]

It sound more like you are reifing body and system.

Consciousness here and now is accepted by many as the most undoubtable truth, even if unprovable to a pair.
Body and system are rather clearly mind constructions to organize experience.

Anyway, my point is logical. If the brain works at some level like a digital machine, then physics emerge from arithmetic (or any universal system (in the Post Church Turing sense).

Computationalism makes the mind body problem into a math problem, sometimes called the "measure problem" in this list.

In the theory of digital machines (theoretical computer science) consciousness appears like a word used by machines to refer to something they want consider as true, even undoubtable, yet incommunicable/unprovable. It has a role, including a role in the origin and stability of the material observable.

I can only refer you to my papers (see my url). My goal is not to argue on the truth, nor even the plausibility that the brain act as a Turing machine, but that IF that is true then Plato's theology is more correct than Aristotle, in a way which is empirically testable. Just to be short and clear. Comp makes theology a science. In all case, even if comp is false, it happens that machines have an interesting theology, where theology is defined as the set of propositions true *about* a machine (as opposed to science, which is what machine can prove).

To oppose theology and science makes both theology and science into a pseudo-theology.
Everything I say is just consequences of taking seriously the idea that we might survive with an artificial digital brain. If we get a contradiction (not weirdness) then we refute comp. If we get only weirdness, then we can compare it to the weirdness around you and see if the theory shed some light.

You seem to assume some Aristotelian notion of matter (system, body, energy, ...). Well, that just cannot work unless you postulate a special type of non computationalist theory of mind. That is all my point. I do not pretend this is entirely obvious.

Bruno

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Pzomby <htr...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Jul 1, 4:23 am, selva kumar <selvakr1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is consciousness causally effective ?

In my opinion, yes, if in simple terms, it is logically correct to
state:  A property of consciousness is….the capacity and ability of
individual human consciousness to create intentionally desired
physical and mental effects.

Bruno Marchal

Jul 3, 2011, 10:45:01 AM7/3/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
My option is to introduce as few new vocabulary as possible. In the interdisciplinary field, we have to use the term on which the majority in each field are accustom to, when possible (some terms, like 'model' are used by different field with different meaning, so it is not simple).

X1* is just a precise modal logic which provably axiomatizes what is true about the machine observable/feelable (Bp & Dt & p) from the states accessed by the universal dovetailing. Topologies and algebra have to be related to reasonable semantics for the logic. It is the logic suggested by the Löbian machine for the qualia (including the quanta).

Bruno

Bruno Marchal

Jul 3, 2011, 11:22:06 AM7/3/11
On 02 Jul 2011, at 23:10, B Soroud wrote:

a question I want to pose to the community as well as Bruno is:

Bruno, have you ever seriously studied Nietzsche... he is probably the single most persuasive critic of Platonism that has ever existed.

By platonism I just mean the idea that ideas are primary and matter is generated by the ideas. With comp it can be shown we need only two ideas: addition and multiplication of natural numbers (together with some tiny amount of classical logic).
If you get the point you can understand how this is completely testable. Meanwhile it explains tha quantum appearance of nature, the non booleanity of the observable, etc. I mean the facts seems to favor comp and Platonism, and in my opinion, materialism will disappear, and taken as a very deeply "Darwinianly" preprogrammed sort of superstition. The greek and Indian mystics and rationalist might be right, with respect of the coherent mechanist theology.

I read Nietzsche a long time ago, I loved Zarathustra, but find his text on Plato non convincing, but I might have been too young.
I tend to think that many philosophers confuse or are unclear about first person truth (Bp & p) and third person communicable truth (Bp).  Don't mind too much the modal operator, until you read and grasp (hopefully) the consequences of comp in the "classical machine theology".

You might try to sum up Nietzsche argument against "platonism" so that can we see if it is relevant. If it does not appear as an argulment against comp, then it might point on a flaw in the UD reasoning, which could be something interesting. To be honest I have some doubt because, like many, Nietzsche confuses mechanism and materialism.

Note also that comp contradicts Plato's *politics*, but not Plato's theology, especially as understood by the neoplatonist and neoPythagorean, and then the machines.

Bruno

Jason Resch

Jul 3, 2011, 11:56:21 AM7/3/11
On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 2:35 AM, selva kumar <selva...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Jason Resch <jason...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 6:23 AM, selva kumar <selva...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is consciousness causally effective ?

If it is not causally effective, then you must explain what caused the word "consciousness" to enter our
 lexicon and what caused the field of pihlosophy of mind, and all the various books on the subject of consciousness.  The dirty secret of epiphenominalism (the theory that consciousness is casually inert) is that if it were a true theory, the theory of epiphenominalism would be entirely private and unsharable.  The fact that a theory was generated and shared to explain consciousness proves consciousness has effects.  Even the fact that we are discussing it now in this thread can be taken as evidence of its causal effects.

Jason

Then by your definition..Consciousness is our ability to think ?

No, my point is that if you are thinking about consciousness, then what else could it have been but consciousness that caused you to think about it?  If  consciousness had no effects, then we would not think about it, talk about it, or write e-mails about it.

Jason

Bruno Marchal

Jul 3, 2011, 12:37:56 PM7/3/11
On 03 Jul 2011, at 00:55, John Mikes wrote:

Dear Bruno, here we go again....

A very colorful discussion about that darn consciousness, indeed, as it develops. I find YOUR scholarly text a bit skewed (Goedel and Goedel) since math logic is IMO a product of human(!) consciousness.

This is either self-defeating, or universal and empty. Would you say "no" to the digitalist doctor because the artificial brain is a human construct?

I do not comment on your "MACHINE" consciousness, since I don't feel comfortable as a machine with set inventory/design,

I don't argue that we are machine. I argue that if we are machine, the entire Aristotelian conception of reality has to be revised.

even a universal one - IF IT IS a machine.

The universal machine is a machine. I have no clue to what other universal thing you are alluding too.

The human intellect (another unknown! - not sarcastically said) has no borders or inventory, at least we have not experienced such so far.

Yes. And the assumption that we are machine does explain that fact. Today, assuming we are machine, we know that we know nothing even in the apparently restricted field of what machine can do. No borders or inventory for the machine abilities.

A "causally effective" Ccness? I wrote already my 'causality' deviation as considered within the 'model' of our so far acquired knowledge and the deterministic 'reasons' considered only by factors 'within', while the still unknown factors (maybe lots of such) also influence all that happens assigned to 'causality' of the partial listing.

When you say yes to the doctor, you don't pray for a model, but for the real thing.

(This is the reason why our terms are not 'absolute' and "The Truth".)

Of course. But they might be fact under an assumption, or theorem in a theory.

We may 'list' EFFECTIVE causes, but maybe not all.

Sure. Actually we can prove that they are not listable.

<I would not like to offend you with my hint to 'the world beyond arithmetical truth (logic).>

The point is that the inside machine's view of arithmetic is already beyond arithmetical truth (which is far beyond logic).

------------------------
[...]

All scientists are agnostic. But we can put theories and reason in the theories. No scientist will ever pretend it has the true theory. Those who does are pseudo-priesters in disguise.

Bruno

Bruno Marchal

Jul 3, 2011, 12:50:59 PM7/3/11
On 03 Jul 2011, at 09:51, selva kumar wrote:

[...]

Not really. We will become inconsistent. But actually we can not even define "being correct" as applying to ourselves. But a machine with stronger provability ability can study a the theology of a machine with weaker abilities. And if we lift that theology on ourselves, we transform into another machine (more powerful indeed) or into an inconsistent machine (if we lift the notion of truth itself).

Now, this turns into a proof for existence of power of belief..(?).

But belief has power. That is a bit what the Löb formula shows. Sentences or machines asserting their own provability (not consistency!) are true and provable.

Also,speaking in a strict way,it means If you believe you are intelligent,then you become more intelligent (which is in immediate contracdiction with godel's second incompleteness theorem and your smallest theory on intelligence )

Indeed. So better not to believe/prove that we are intelligent (in the large sense).

[...]

I don't rememeber having done that. For reason of simplicity I study the consciousness of the simple correct self-introspecting machine. That is already very complex and enough to get the qualia and the quanta. A solution of the measure problem should account for the other minds and the gluing of the computations (if not then we get the result that comp is false).

why shouldn't free-will and sensory experiences(qualia,if you believe in it)be part (rather than being a consequence or precondition) of consciousness itself ? In the absence of consciousness,there is indeed absence of free-will and experiencing qualia.
In that case,we can't prove that a universal machine is conscious.

Right. But I took as obvious that nobody can prove than even himself is conscious. We can never proof that anything is conscious.

Bruno

Note that the Gödel speed-up theorem is not hard to prove. There is a simple proof of it in the excellent book by Torkel Franzen "Gödel's theorem An Incomplete Guide To Its Use and Abuse" which I recommend the reading (despite it is more on the abuses than the uses). The original paper is in the book by Davis: the undecidable (republished in Dover), and which I consider as a bible for "machine's theology".

Bruno

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/

Bruno Marchal

Jul 3, 2011, 12:54:44 PM7/3/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
I have no problem with that theory. It seems to assume comp, and so yopu still have to explain matter from the number. But consciousness can perhaps be implemented in the human brain in the way you describe. The advantage of taking the machine discourse on itself is that it explains the why and how of qualia. That nature did take the logic into account can explain localization and specialization of different parts of the brain.

Bruno

meekerdb

Jul 3, 2011, 5:46:24 PM7/3/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
That would be the material cause in Aristotles sense.  But material causes don't form causal chains.

Brent

If  consciousness had no effects, then we would not think about it, talk about it, or write e-mails about it.

Jason

meekerdb

Jul 3, 2011, 6:08:58 PM7/3/11
On 7/3/2011 1:36 AM, selva wrote:

> On Jul 1, 4:23 pm, selva kumar<selvakr1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is consciousness causally effective ?
>>
>> I found this question in previous threads,but I didn't find a answer.
>>
> I believe consciousness is a monitoring system (aka awareness)
>
> When our hand is moved obeying some computations,there is a ON-SCREEN
> DISPLAY going on in the brain: " my hand is moving "
>
> When we are learning something ,DISPLAY : "your are learning this and
> this " and saves it with a lot of tags in it,so that when you learn
> something new which includes a tagged word,it opens the old saved data
> and updates it.
> Without this monitoring and liaison system our brain stumbles.

I mostly agree with this theory. I'm not sure I would call it
"monitoring" since once you learn to do something, like ride a bicycle
or apply modus pollens, you do it without consciously thinking about
it. So in a sense you stumble *less* when not being "monitored". But I
agree that consciousness has something to do with learning; with
selecting what is important enough to pay attention to and to put into
memory. It's not just passive recording; it's constructing a
narrative. Which is one reason human memory is unreliable. It may also
be why we have few memories before learning to talk.

Brent

B Soroud

Jul 3, 2011, 7:02:29 PM7/3/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Are you guys joking.... Other beings then humans have consciousness
and they dint philosophize about it.... It is some other principle
that is the "cause".

On Sunday, July 3, 2011, meekerdb <meek...@verizon.net> wrote:
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; On 7/3/2011 8:56 AM, Jason Resch wrote:
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 2:35 AM, selva kumar &lt;selva...@gmail.com&gt;
&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Jason Resch
&lt;jason...@gmail.com&gt;
&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 6:23 AM, selva kumar
&lt;selva...@gmail.com&gt; wrote:
&gt; Is
&gt; consciousness causally effective ?
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; If it is not causally effective, then you must explain what caused the
&gt; word &quot;consciousness&quot; to enter our  lexicon and what caused the
&gt; field of pihlosophy of mind, and all the various books on the subject
&gt; of consciousness.  The dirty secret of epiphenominalism (the theory
&gt; that consciousness is casually inert) is that if it were a true theory,
&gt; the theory of epiphenominalism would be entirely private and
&gt; unsharable.  The fact that a theory was generated and shared to explain
&gt; consciousness proves consciousness has effects.  Even the fact that we
&gt; are discussing it now in this thread can be taken as evidence of its
&gt; causal effects.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Jason
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Then by your definition..Consciousness is our ability to think ?
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; No, my point is that if you are thinking about consciousness, then what
&gt; else could it have been but consciousness that caused you to think
&gt; about it?
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; That would be the material cause in Aristotles sense.  But material
&gt; causes don't form causal chains.
&gt;
&gt; Brent
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; If  consciousness had no effects, then we would not think about
&gt; it, talk about it, or write e-mails about it.
&gt;
&gt; Jason
&gt;
&gt; --
&gt; You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
&gt; Groups &quot;Everything List&quot; group.
&gt; To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
&gt; everything-li...@googlegroups.com.
&gt; For more options, visit this group at
&gt; http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; --

&gt; You received this message because you are subscribed to the
Google Groups &quot;Everything List&quot; group.

&gt; To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
everything-li...@googlegroups.com.
&gt; For more options, visit this group at
&gt;

Jason Resch

Jul 3, 2011, 10:45:46 PM7/3/11

On Jul 3, 2011, at 4:46 PM, meekerdb <meek...@verizon.net> wrote:

[...]

If consciousness is causually inert then history would be the same even if it were abolished throughout the universe.

To me it seems absurd that we would be endlessly debating some nonexistent thing which none of us has ever experienced, yet that is exactly the conclusion that comes from assuming consciousness has no effects.

Jason

B Soroud

Jul 3, 2011, 11:32:16 PM7/3/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
"if you are thinking about consciousness, then what else could it have been but consciousness that caused you to think about it"

Are you saying consciousness literally causes you to objectify consciousness? Consciousness as a base is required to reflect on consciousness... the question is whether consciousness can truly be objectified or only falsely so.

You could similarly differentiate consciousness from existence and say that existence as a base is required in order to "talk about consciousness".... you can go on to enumerate many things in such order. But nothing deterministically causes you to reflect on the notion of consciousness abstracted and objectified as such without direct reflection but imagined supposition...... are in so far as something does cause you to reflect on the figment consciousness... will to knowledge, will to power etc.... we haven't determined it.

"If consciousness is causually inert then history would be the same even if it were abolished throughout the universe.

can you please define consciousness here? what would be the same if what was abolished from the universe?

You can't really define consciousness, consciousness is essentially indefinable, therefore "it" doesn't exist... it is a merely inferred supposition.... if you think that doesn't make sense, just cause it doesn't make sense doesn't mean its not true.... just as, just because something makes sense doesn't mean its true..... similarly, just because something seems to make sense doesn't mean it actually makes sense, furthermore, just because something doesn't make sense doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

"To me it seems absurd that we would be endlessly debating some nonexistent thing which none of us has ever experienced, yet that is exactly the conclusion that comes from assuming consciousness has no effects."

First off, what is wrong with absurd... existence is absurd, should we abolish it?

"nonexistent thing which none of us has ever experienced"

is there a such thing as a nonexistent thing that none of us has ever experienced? read Parmenides.

Is it consciousness that is causally effective or is it the will that is causally effective........ perhaps we can make a distinction between consciousness and the will.... the will guided by the imagination as the basis of action.

B Soroud

Jul 3, 2011, 11:37:53 PM7/3/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
correction, "or in so far as something does cause you to reflect on the figment consciousness" not  "are in so far as something does cause you to reflect on the figment consciousness"

meekerdb

Jul 4, 2011, 12:16:29 AM7/4/11
On 7/3/2011 7:45 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

[...]

You are making a leap of inference from causally inert to nonexistent.  Mathematics is causally inert.  Yet it's existence is debatable and it's certainly interesting to discuss.  And in any case, the elan vital was endlessly debate for centuries and was eventually discarded as nonexistent.

Brent

Constantine Pseudonymous

Jul 4, 2011, 12:37:11 AM7/4/11
to Everything List
I just realized that for some reason only half of these posts show up
in my e-mail…
Bruno, you speak of self-consciousness… do you mean body-image? Or do
you mean abstract self-recognition? Or the tendency towards false
identification? Or body relation/identification in a combative
framework?
It seems like your notion of self-acceleration or self-speeding is
what some people call psycho-active or psychedelic …. Or what others
call meditative metamorphoses through concentration. Concentration or
the will to power in the Spinoza and Nietzschean sense as self-
speeding. The lack of this concentration of the will or self-
intensification/force equated to what Kierkegaard called
spiritlessness… a symptom of modernity.

On Jul 2, 4:27 am, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
> On 01 Jul 2011, at 13:23, selva kumar wrote:
>
> > Is consciousness causally effective ?
>
> > I found this question in previous threads,but I didn't find a answer.

Constantine Pseudonymous

Jul 4, 2011, 1:09:53 AM7/4/11
to Everything List
"We can never experience pure consciousness because we can never
silence the
continuous influx of sensory data;" This is debatable, I have heard of
a certain toxic substance extracted from fogs in Haiti, that if
administered, results in a effect that is said to be a total
dislocation and abstraction from the senses, a pure abstraction of
consciousness from the senses in the zone of a absolute
subjectivity.... it is administered as a grave and extreme punishment.
But who knows what the "individual" actually experiences. Also I have
heard that there are highly abstract states of meditation or
hallucination that can effectively constitute a more or less complete
abstraction from the senses and a feeling of a "out of body
experience".... but who knows...

"but we intuit its existence so strongly
that we speak of it with absolute confidence in its facticity."

what is this "it" that "you" speak of with such confidence? If you
have any perception of this it, then it is an object of perception,
clear and distinct, and separate from any coherent notion of "you".
There is always dualism in perception, and by definition a postulated
subject can never become the object of perception.... this is why
Schopenhauer postulated that we are the Kantian thing-in-itself....
but not quite.

And just because we infer something with confidence doesn't mean its a
coherent object of knowledge or that it actually exists.

Constantine Pseudonymous

Jul 4, 2011, 1:25:56 AM7/4/11
to Everything List
“It sound more like you are reifing body and system.”
Would you rather me rarefy it?
“Consciousness here and now is accepted by many as the most
undoubtable
truth”
That to which you point by the indicator consciousness, observe that…
it is not a clear and defined perception, it is not a clearly
delineated “thing”… it is a obscure and indefinite I-don’t-know-
whatness, an unknown unknown… something that cannot be clearly stated
or comprehended or defined… so you cannot say what it is… By calling
it consciousness you trick us… because you give us the impression we
know what it is or that it is, that we have some grip or handle on it
or that it is an object of knowledge. Buddhists have been grappling
with the problem of so called consciousness for millennia… where have
they gotten? They either b.s. or they claim that it is not what it
appears to be, that it is not a definitive thing, that it is
unrealized, and that its “essential nature” is something other then
what it appears to be… blah blah blah… they claim it is this or that….
the “primordial ground of reality” or “pure subtle energy” and other
fantastical notions…. So who knows what consciousness is?
“Body and system are rather clearly mind constructions to organize
experience.”
But so is mind and mind-construction a mind-construction. Do you
distinguish between consciousness and experience?
I think your choice in the usage of the term theology is not very
insightful. What etymological grounds and logic do you have for this?

Jason Resch

Jul 4, 2011, 1:30:21 AM7/4/11
On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 10:32 PM, B Soroud <bso...@gmail.com> wrote:
"if you are thinking about consciousness, then what else could it have been but consciousness that caused you to think about it"

Are you saying consciousness literally causes you to objectify consciousness? Consciousness as a base is required to reflect on consciousness... the question is whether consciousness can truly be objectified or only falsely so.

There appears to be some confusion.  This is what I am saying:

Selva asked if consciousness is causally effective.  My response is a thought experiment designed to show that it is:

1. Assume consciousness is not causally effective
2. It follows that consciousness has no effects
3. If consciousness has no effects, then whether present or not it makes do difference in what happens
4. Consider a universe identical to this one only without any consciousness (this is possible only in the case where consciousness is causally inert)
5. This universe would have zombie humans that talk about consciousness, that appear to wonder about consciousness, that write e-mail threads about consciousness, and so on, yet all this is happening in a universe where consciousness does not exist.
6. It seems odd that there would be zombies talking and wondering about consciousness in a universe where there is no such thing as consciousness.

If on the other hand, consciousness is causally effective, as I believe it is, then zombie universes cannot be identical to our own.  Perhaps you see nothing wrong with a zombie universe with beings wondering about consciousness, but if you do, then you should doubt the assumption made at step 1.

Jason

Constantine Pseudonymous

Jul 4, 2011, 1:37:41 AM7/4/11
to Everything List
“By platonism I just mean the idea that ideas are primary and matter
is
generated by the ideas.”
So rather than ideas being generated by some deterministic and
mechanical materialism… which would be absurd…. You invert the
proposition? Do you literally mean matter is generated by ideas? In
some direct, deterministic and mechanical way?
It is clear to me that there is a sense in which the corporeal
conditions the ideal, and the ideal conditions the corporeal…. Art
imitates life and life imitates art and the fundamentals of our
intellectual forms are empirically but mysteriously derived from
nature as it is presented to us, but vice versa, the human world we
live in is entirely envisioned and transformed on the basis of the
mental forms. But I see not direct intersecting connection… nor do I
see how the material can be actually derived from the ideal and how
the subject is independent from both. What is the supposed subject
derived from?
“with comp it can be shown we need only two
ideas: addition and multiplication of natural numbers (together
with
some tiny amount of classical logic).” What do you think about
Plotinus’s assertion that the “descent into multiplicity and number”
is a undesirable phenomena?
“The greek and Indian mystics and rationalist might be
right, with respect of the coherent mechanist theology.”
Hey man, they don’t all agree with one another… they are highly
contentious… have you ever heard of “the argumentative Indian?” You
should read Hegel to see how all these guys fit into the successive
stages of a dialectical unfoldment…. History is a dialectical and
alchemical process… these old fixed forms don’t stand as absolutes on
their own… they are infinitely permutable and engaged in a unending
dialectical process, perhaps a circular one.
“You might try to sum up Nietzsche argument against "platonism"”
I really wish you would re-read Nietzsche…. His critique of Plato is
brutal and far-reaching… I don’t know if I can sum it up easily…. I
highly recommend you re-read him…. Check out Twilight of the Idols,
the Will to Power, Beyond Good and Evil, etc. His critique of Plato is
utterly devastating and so elaborated.
> > On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Stephen Paul King <stephe...@charter.net
> > On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 12:24 PM, B Soroud <bsor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "A property of consciousness is"
>
> > it sounds like you are reifying "consciousness"... consciousness is
> > not a thing in itself, consciousness does not exist in and of
> > itself... it can only be understood within the interdependent and
> > complex framework of sensation, bodies, space.... consciousness of
> > something, in and through something.... inseparable from the system
> > of space, energy, matter and motion... and essential equal to it....
> > not something seperate and distinct from it that can exist
> > independently of it....
>
> > consciousness is not something that exists in itself....
> > consciousness is always embodied consciousness of life.... in and
> > through life and the complex instrument of form and the mystery of
> > sensation and generation. Consciousness is a phenomena of the "body"
> > and its natural system... and is equal to that "body" and "body
> > system".
>
> > it sounds like you guys are reifing consciousness....
>
> > On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Pzomby <htra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 1, 4:23 am, selva kumar <selvakr1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Is consciousness causally effective ?
>
> > In my opinion, yes, if in simple terms, it is logically correct to
> > state:  A property of consciousness is….the capacity and ability of
> > individual human consciousness to create intentionally desired
> > physical and mental effects.
>
> > --
> > .
>
> > --
> > .

Constantine Pseudonymous

Jul 4, 2011, 1:42:40 AM7/4/11
to Everything List
this might arouse your interest a bit.... but remember Nietzsche's
critique of Plato is comprehensive and voluminous, utterly
unprecedented in its breath and depth:

How the True WorldFinally Became An Fable:
The History of an Error

1. The true world -- attainable for the sage, the pious, the virtuous
man; he lives in it, he is it.
(The oldest form of the idea, relatively sensible, simple, and
persuasive. A circumlocution for the sentence, "I, Plato, am the
truth.")

2. The true world -- unattainable for now, but promised for the sage,
the pious, the virtuous man ("for the sinner who repents").
(Progress of the idea: it becomes more subtle, insidious,
incomprehensible -- it becomes female, it becomes Christian.)

3. The true world -- unattainable, indemonstrable, unpromisable; but
the very thought of it -- a consolation, an obligation, an imperative.
(At bottom, the old sun, but seen through mist and skepticism. The
idea has become elusive, pale, Nordic, K�nigsbergian [i.e., Kantian].)

4. The true world -- unattainable? At any rate, unattained. And being
unattained, also unknown. Consequently, not consoling, redeeming, or
obligating: how could something unknown obligate us?
(Gray morning. The first yawn of reason. The cockcrow of positivism.)

5. The "true" world -- an idea which is no longer good for anything,
not even obligating -- an idea which has become useless and
superfluous -- consequently, a refuted idea: let us abolish it!
(Bright day; breakfast; return of bon sens [�good sense�] and
cheerfulness; Plato's embarrassed blush; pandemonium of all free
spirits.)

6. The true world -- we have abolished. What world has remained? The
apparent one perhaps? But no! With the true world we have also
abolished the apparent one.
(Noon; moment of the briefest shadow; end of the longest error; high
point of humanity; INCIPIT ZARATHUSTRA. [�Zarathustra begins�])

On Jul 3, 8:22 am, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Stephen Paul King <stephe...@charter.net
> > On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 12:24 PM, B Soroud <bsor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "A property of consciousness is"
>
> > it sounds like you are reifying "consciousness"... consciousness is
> > not a thing in itself, consciousness does not exist in and of
> > itself... it can only be understood within the interdependent and
> > complex framework of sensation, bodies, space.... consciousness of
> > something, in and through something.... inseparable from the system
> > of space, energy, matter and motion... and essential equal to it....
> > not something seperate and distinct from it that can exist
> > independently of it....
>
> > consciousness is not something that exists in itself....
> > consciousness is always embodied consciousness of life.... in and
> > through life and the complex instrument of form and the mystery of
> > sensation and generation. Consciousness is a phenomena of the "body"
> > and its natural system... and is equal to that "body" and "body
> > system".
>
> > it sounds like you guys are reifing consciousness....
>
> > On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Pzomby <htra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 1, 4:23 am, selva kumar <selvakr1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Is consciousness causally effective ?
>
> > In my opinion, yes, if in simple terms, it is logically correct to
> > state:  A property of consciousness is….the capacity and ability of
> > individual human consciousness to create intentionally desired
> > physical and mental effects.
>
> > --
> > .
>
> > --
> > .

Constantine Pseudonymous

Jul 4, 2011, 1:57:20 AM7/4/11
to Everything List
Bruno, what makes you think that mathematics can apply to anything
beyond the physical world, is not mathematics restricted to the domain
of the physical world....

it doesn't apply to the qualitative metaphysical domain of anima-
psyche.

On Jul 3, 9:54 am, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
> I have no problem with that theory. It seems to assume comp, and so
> yopu still have to explain matter from the number. But consciousness
> can perhaps be implemented in the human brain in the way you describe.
> The advantage of taking the machine discourse on itself is that it
> explains the why and how of qualia. That nature did take the logic
> into account can explain localization and specialization of different
> parts of the brain.
>
> Bruno
>
> On 03 Jul 2011, at 11:13, selva kumar wrote:
>

> > I believe I oversimplified things in my previous post.But it is sort
> > of what I believe in.

Constantine Pseudonymous

Jul 4, 2011, 2:01:11 AM7/4/11
to Everything List
"And in any case, the elan vital was
endlessly debate for centuries and was eventually discarded as
nonexistent."
perhaps erroneously... such as perhaps "ether" was erroneously
discarded. Perhaps many things were erroneously negated.... Jung talks
of "psychic forces" it seems like a evocative and persuasive concept
to me

On Jul 3, 9:16 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 7/3/2011 7:45 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

> > On Jul 3, 2011, at 4:46 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net

Constantine Pseudonymous

Jul 4, 2011, 2:03:55 AM7/4/11
to Everything List
"Mathematics is causally inert. Yet it's existence is debatable and
it's
certainly interesting to discuss."

the problem with mathematics is that it lacks potency, in actuality,
in and of itself. Sound exhibits tremendous potency. Do you think of
mathematics as a subset of thought/language?

On Jul 3, 9:16 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 7/3/2011 7:45 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

> > On Jul 3, 2011, at 4:46 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net

Constantine Pseudonymous

Jul 4, 2011, 2:09:47 AM7/4/11
to Everything List
how do you leap from non-doer to non-doing and unconsciousness?

B Soroud

Jul 4, 2011, 2:23:14 AM7/4/11
to Everything List
Oh yeah and in response to Bruno's supposed apriori platonic forms... a doctrine that Plato himself probably didn't believe in..... I want to assert that all mathematics is based on linguistical operations dependent on the social context of thinking minds and self-constructed extensions/glyphs abstracted from physical/geometric/terrestial perceptions.

I want to assert that if you read Plato and the Neo-Platonists.... including Proclus... there is no coherent Platonic Theology.... There is no actual  and completed Platonic Theology to which you can refer. There are multiple interpretations and multiple construction-experiments. Plato's Theology was simply a basic intuition dimly articulated with difficulty.

meekerdb

Jul 4, 2011, 3:27:39 AM7/4/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
You can make the parallel argument to show that the elan vital must be causally effective too.  It's like reifying "the weather" and then asking can there be wind and rain and sunshine without "the weather".

Brent

Jason Resch

Jul 4, 2011, 3:53:30 AM7/4/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com

Please explain what steps 5 and 6 would be for an argument showing the causal effectiveness of a vital force, I was not able to come up with one that fit.

It's like reifying "the weather" and then asking can there be wind and rain and sunshine without "the weather".

I think one of us is missing the other's point, but I am not sure who.

Do you think epiphenominalism is a consistent and valid possibility?  And if not, what led you to that conclusion?  If you do, why do you think we evolved consciousness in the first place (if it has no effects), why do we feel thirst if it has no bearing (according to epiphenominalism) on whether or not we decide to get water?

Thanks,

Jason

Stephen Paul King

Jul 4, 2011, 12:17:14 PM7/4/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com

Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 1:30 AM
--

Hi Jason,
My only difficulty with this reasoning is the treatment of consciousness as if it is an object/property. It seems to me that consciousness is a process that should not be treated as other qualia. It is what generates the qualia. Yes it can represent itself to itself, ala self-awareness but is it an object per say? Maybe not.

meekerdb

Jul 4, 2011, 2:36:18 PM7/4/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
I you're thirsty you have a feeling that will be relieved by getting a drink.  If you sleepy you'll want to take nap.  But what is added to this by collecting thirst and sleepiness into a category called "be conscious of..."?  I think consciousness is the selection of experiences for inclusion in an inner narrative for the purpose of forming memories.  We have this inner narrative because for evolutionary reasons (and perhaps for technical ones we don't yet understand) the formation of the narrative into language and symbols uses the same brain structures and processes as used for perception.  This selective memorization of what seems important is essential to learning.  Whether it's use of the same processes as perception is essential I don't know.

Brent

B Soroud

Jul 4, 2011, 2:42:02 PM7/4/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
anytime someone invokes "for evolutionary reasons"... you know its a cop-out... that is like invoking God to explain everything... in some instances it works,  its clear, it makes sense.... but not in all.

rather then "for evolutionary reasons"... you could equally say "for some reason". Apparently you presuppose the principle of sufficient reason.

Bruno Marchal

Jul 4, 2011, 3:38:08 PM7/4/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
The mathematical science is certainly not causally inert. Without math, no chips, no internet, no man on the moon, etc.
And from inside the computationalist mindscape, the dynamics emerge as internal (arithmetical) indexicals. But this is the fate of any TOE, or better ROE (realm of everything, the theories themselves only scratches the surface).

Yet it's existence is debatable and it's certainly interesting to discuss.  And in any case, the elan vital was endlessly debate for centuries and was eventually discarded as nonexistent.

Like mechanism justifies that the "material force" will be discarded as non existent, but explainable in term of number theoretical relations (coherent number's beliefs). Here the numbers are "Gödel number" of machine with respect to some set of universal machines. I don't know if this is true, but I am pretty sure it follows from the indexical assumption "My 3-I (body) is Turing emulable at a level sustaining my consciousness".

meekerdb

Jul 4, 2011, 3:38:29 PM7/4/11
On 7/4/2011 11:42 AM, B Soroud wrote:
> anytime someone invokes "for evolutionary reasons"... you know its a
> cop-out... that is like invoking God to explain everything... in some
> instances it works, its clear, it makes sense.... but not in all.
>
> rather then "for evolutionary reasons"... you could equally say "for
> some reason". Apparently you presuppose the principle of sufficient
> reason.

No. I suppose that evolution tends to adapt existing structures and so
a memory recorded in words would make use of the same part of the brain
as hearing which would result in an inner narrative something like the
theory of Julian Jaynes.

Brent

Bruno Marchal

Jul 4, 2011, 3:51:54 PM7/4/11

On 04 Jul 2011, at 06:37, Constantine Pseudonymous wrote:

> I just realized that for some reason only half of these posts show up
> in my e-mail…
> Bruno, you speak of self-consciousness… do you mean body-image? Or do
> you mean abstract self-recognition? Or the tendency towards false
> identification? Or body relation/identification in a combative
> framework?

I never need to define consciousness in the reasoning. I just suppose
that you understand enough of it to ponder of the consequence of the
assumption that you might survive with a computer in place of your
brain, like you can survive with a pump in place of your heart.
Precisely, I assume that there is a level of description of the brain
which is Turing emulable. Then I show that the brain-mind identity
breaks down, and that consciousness is related to infinities of
computations, and that physics emerges from a competition between
infinities of universal machines/numbers. Using results by Gödel, Löb,
Solovay, I can use the logic of self-reference in arithmetic to
translate the mind body problem into a body problem, expressible in
arithmetic.

I am a computer scientist, and by making clear all the assumption and
the definition, I show that the comp mind body problem is a
mathematical problem. Scientist understand, but don't really care, and
philosophers are often nervous and hot on this (like always when
philosophy is made into science, which is what is possible for the
comp philosophy.

But I don't need to define consciousness. I bet you know enough to
follow the reasoning. Eventually you can understand why consciousness
is indeed not definable.

> It seems like your notion of self-acceleration or self-speeding is
> what some people call psycho-active or psychedelic ….

I have no clue what you are talking about. Self-speeding is a property
of theories (in the mathematical technical sense) or of universal
machine (idem).

> Or what others
> call meditative metamorphoses through concentration. Concentration or
> the will to power in the Spinoza and Nietzschean sense as self-
> speeding. The lack of this concentration of the will or self-
> intensification/force equated to what Kierkegaard called
> spiritlessness… a symptom of modernity.

Modernity has disappeared in Occident since the roman closed Plato
academy. But let us say I am just provoking here.

Bruno

> --
> .

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/

meekerdb

Jul 4, 2011, 3:55:05 PM7/4/11
On 7/4/2011 12:38 PM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
> The mathematical science is certainly not causally inert. Without
> math, no chips, no internet, no man on the moon, etc.

But the form of argument, "Without X we wouldn't have Y, therefore X
caused Y." is invalid. Consider, without space we wouldn't have gone to
the Moon, therefore space caused us to go to the Moon. If you stretch
causes to include everything that must have been the case for Y to
happen then you end up with a meaningless plethora of causes: The
universe caused Y.

> And from inside the computationalist mindscape, the dynamics emerge as
> internal (arithmetical) indexicals. But this is the fate of any TOE,
> or better ROE (realm of everything, the theories themselves only
> scratches the surface).
>

>> Yet it's existence is debatable and it's certainly interesting to
>> discuss. And in any case, the elan vital was endlessly debate for
>> centuries and was eventually discarded as nonexistent.
>
> Like mechanism justifies that the "material force" will be discarded
> as non existent, but explainable in term of number theoretical
> relations (coherent number's beliefs).

Forces are explainable by many things. I'll be more impressed when you
predict one.

Brent

> Here the numbers are "G�del number" of machine with respect to some

B Soroud

Jul 4, 2011, 3:57:41 PM7/4/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
so there is hearing in the sense of speaking a word out loud. and there is hearing in the sense of speaking a word "in your mind".... and you think this inner hearing is..... what?

Brent

B Soroud

Jul 4, 2011, 4:02:27 PM7/4/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
lol, Bruno, your fictional Platonic Academy is sublimated Sun worshiping.

Bruno Marchal

Jul 4, 2011, 5:58:21 PM7/4/11

On 04 Jul 2011, at 07:25, Constantine Pseudonymous wrote:

> “It sound more like you are reifing body and system.”
> Would you rather me rarefy it?

Worst. I don't give you any choice, *in* the mechanist theory. But I
am talking on primitive bodies. They are so rare that they don't
exist. But beliefs in bodies exists, and I can explain why (or refer
to papers, because it is not so shortly explainable).

> “Consciousness here and now is accepted by many as the most
> undoubtable
> truth”
> That to which you point by the indicator consciousness, observe that…
> it is not a clear and defined perception,

OK. But neither is time.

> it is not a clearly
> delineated “thing”…

Not sure. You know what it is. Just now, you can hardlmy doubt you
are, even if you can doubt being awaken or dreaming, you know that you
are conscious. You know that you are not an instance of philosophical
zombie. All right? You can't prove it, nor even really express it, but
you know you are living it here and now.

> it is a obscure and indefinite I-don’t-know-
> whatness, an unknown unknown… something that cannot be clearly stated
> or comprehended or defined…

Yes! It is exactly that :)

> so you cannot say what it is…

You can approximate. It is in between believing and knowing there is
*some* reality.

> By calling
> it consciousness you trick us… because you give us the impression we
> know what it is or that it is, that we have some grip or handle on it
> or that it is an object of knowledge.

Once there is self-consciousness, it certainly is. You know that you
are conscious. You know perfectly what it is. It is what makes pain
painful. You can attribute it to others. In computer science there are
many object and properties which cannot be defined, yet can have a
role in providing solutions to combinatorial problems, and it can be
show that universal machine looking inward discover an ocean made of
those non nameable things. The comp theory of mind is 99,99999999...%
a theory of ignorance.

> Buddhists have been grappling
> with the problem of so called consciousness for millennia… where have
> they gotten?

At least they do not burn alive non buddhist, or very less often so.
What do you mean "where have they gotten"?

> They either b.s. or they claim that it is not what it
> appears to be, that it is not a definitive thing, that it is
> unrealized, and that its “essential nature” is something other then
> what it appears to be… blah blah blah… they claim it is this or that….
> the “primordial ground of reality” or “pure subtle energy” and other
> fantastical notions…. So who knows what consciousness is?

All Löbian machines. That is all universal machine who knows its own
universality. They have precise laws of thought (Boole) and laws of
mind (Gödel, Löb, Solovay, .... computer science. I explained this in
all detail in french, alas).

> “Body and system are rather clearly mind constructions to organize
> experience.”
> But so is mind and mind-construction a mind-construction.

I was alluding to a result that I have explain in this forum. I think
that you assume the existence of a physical primitive universe. I
don't. Mind construction are some definable, and some non definable
number relation (I do assume mechanism!).

> Do you
> distinguish between consciousness and experience?

Only if the context forces me to introduce nuances. I use at first the
term in the largest sense possible. So consciousness and subjective
experience, and first person experience are basically the same things.
Now, I can give restricted definition, like accessible personal
memories, to reason and prove things about those notion.

> I think your choice in the usage of the term theology is not very
> insightful. What etymological grounds and logic do you have for this?

Many reasons:
Computationalism, alias digital mechanism, is a theological
hypothesis. It is the belief in a form of technologically possible
reincarnation, (cf the "yes doctor" in the sane04 paper), and once you
grasp the Universal Dovetailer argument, it is more than that (comp
immortality, quantum immortality, consciousness becoming a prison
(Rossler), etc.
Then in arithmetic I define the theology of a machine/number as the
set of arithmetical proposition true about that machines. I limit
myself to "sound" machines (they prove only true sentences), and the
incompleteness phenomenon splits the truth into the provable and
unprovable part. Yet a lot of unprovable truth are still accessible,
by betting for example, by the machine, despite being non provable.
And then the theology of the correct self-introspecting machine offers
an arithmetical interpretation of Plotinus, but also of some text by
Lao-Tse, and give a light on some mystical discourse which reverse the
usual idea mind-matter.

Another reason is strategical and concern the long term. We will not
win again the fairy-tales theologies, which maintains the humans in
the age of irresponsibility (let daddy think for you), without
tolerating the doubt (that is the scientific method) in the field.
In that vein, it is a way to suggest that the debate between atheists
and christians is really a dispute between two variants of Aristotle
theology, and to mention that things like QM (perhaps) and DM
(certainly) point on possible different sort of theology.

I answer you other post hereby:

On 04 Jul 2011, at 07:57, Constantine Pseudonymous wrote:

> Bruno, what makes you think that mathematics can apply to anything
> beyond the physical world, is not mathematics restricted to the domain
> of the physical world....

Why? And what do you mean by "physical world". This is plausibly just
the inside view of arithmetical reality (provably so with the digital
mechanist assumption). Just ask, and I can explain the proof, or I
will refer to a link where I am going to explain it, because, I have
already explain this more than one times on this list. It is not
difficult at all, except for *some* point. Anyway, I have never really
believe in a *primitive* physical universe. But I do believe in the
physical reality, and the local stability of natural laws. I give an
explanation why the appearance of this are unavoidable for a vast
class of machine's points of view.

> it doesn't apply to the qualitative metaphysical domain of anima-
> psyche.

In which theory? What are your assumption?
The fact are that the modal logic of universal machine self-reference,
which are there (those have been discovered, not invented) on the
contrary provides an explanation of the quality and the quantity in
the domain of mind. You can take this as a toy psychology, or a toy
theology, because it is limited to the case of ideal machine. But the
result are negative; the ideal machine's soul falls apparently and
generate matter almost exactly like Plotinus explains, when he recast
Aristotle theory of matter in the Platonic realm. The toy theory of
the ideal machine shows her already unable to close the gap for many
qualitative aspect of their experiences, but the machines can already
explain why it has to be so, if they are correct machines. That is not
obvious. Gödel mentioned the staring idea, and later Hilbert and
Bernays made the hard work, and later Löb simplify it
considerably, ... eventually Solovay closes the propositional part of
the "machine's theology" by axiomatized them in the logic G (what the
machine can really say on its possibilities) and G* (what is true on
its possibilities).

> Bruno is totally misrepresenting and inverting Plato..... he is trying
> to reduce something complex, conflicted, and ambiguous to his strange
> and odd system.

Not at all. I don't care about Plato. I follow a pedagogical method to
keep on pointing on the important ideas. By Plato in metaphysics I
mean the often discussed and criticized idea in the dialogs that
reality is not WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get), that is the
idea that physics is only a part of theology or of some other science
(like Mathematics for the so-called Mathematicians (like Xeusippes),
or arithmetic for (neo)Pythagoreans). I am aware of the labyrinths of
conflicting ideas. By Plato in math, I usually mean Aristotle's middle
excluded principle (the common use in philo of math). By classical
theory of knowledge I mean one of the theory proposed by Theaetetus in
the Theatetus. But usually I recall all that, and the motivation is to
explain some result in computer science which put light on the
reversal mind/matter forced by the Universal Dovetailer Argument.
I have no odd system. Just an odd result (odd with respect to
Aristotle theology) in a very well known classical theory. QM is
weird, but DM is weirder. Perhaps even false. We don't know yet. You
might try to find a flaw. I have many versions. Above a rigor
threshold people get sleepy, and below, they misunderstand. UDA is
enough to get that the comp transforms the mind-body problem in a body
problem. Then a second part (AUDUA) translates the problem in
arithmetical terms.

On this list many agrees that the "TOE" needs the shape of
"everything" with some measure (the big debate was between the degree
of relativity of that measure). I show that the Church Turing thesis,
gives a very solid notion of everything, with a natural way to
isolated the self-relative measure keeping distinct the communicable
and incommunicable part of the experiences. The only bad news is that
it needs math and math tools (theoretical computer science,
mathematical logic). But UDA needs only a passive understanding of
Church thesis (the existence of a universal digital machine). Only
AUDA needs some amount of mathematical logic.

Bruno

B Soroud

Jul 4, 2011, 6:29:37 PM7/4/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Bruno, damn, this is heavy.... give me a moment to reply:

you see. I can be very sure that my body exists.... a 100% sure... but I can't be sure that anything else exists.

you say: " Just now, you can hardlmy doubt you are... you know that you are conscious. You know that you ...but you know you are living it here and now."

I can doubt that "I am".... but I can't doubt that "x is".  But what does x mean?

" You know that you are conscious. You know perfectly what it is. It is what makes pain painful. "

false! false! I don't know what pain is.... I know what the word refers to.... but once I try to pay close attention to it and figure out what it is.... I don't know what it is.... it just is....

You think you know what these "things" are but once you play close attention they slip through your fingers...... they just become unintelligible names..... because "sensation" is a name...... the "thing itself" is not the word..... and the "thing itself" is unknowable.

I can say that I am but I cannot say what I am or what is is........I can just say..... x is. but I know neither what x or is is. (take this seriously, I am not sophisticating)

"I think that you assume the existence of a physical primitive universe."

Do you mean I assume some substantial and objective reductionist state of affairs? I don't assume anything.

"Mind construction are some definable, and some non definable number relation"

I define any conception or notion of mind, and even the notion of mind-construction.... as by definition a "mind-construction".

What on earth do you mean by number... it sounds like it is your way to make a pure abstraction out of concrete determinations. It sounds like your use of the word number is your way to transcendentalize things out of existence and convert them into pure abstract identities.

".It is the belief in a form of technologically possible reincarnation"

Have you seen ghost in the shell.... if you really believed this... you should scrap or hide the theory all together. We are too corrupt and perverse for it.... we would simply stain another space of existence.

Now this self-introspection that you speak of...

what introspection.... what is being observed? what is the form of observation?

what is observing what?

what causes or constitutes or conditions the observation? When you close your eyes, are you seeing some "inner space", the inside of your skull? or the back of your eyelids?

I don't want to follow you into your sci-fi salvationist technocratic world-vision.

B Soroud

Jul 4, 2011, 7:15:57 PM7/4/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Bru, I forgot:

"At least they do not burn alive non buddhist, or very less often so. What do you mean "where have they gotten"?"

Sure they don't burn alive non buddhists becaues they've had their head up their asses for the last several thousand years.... and finally they were woken up from their dogmatic slumber by the invasion of the Chinese.... they were sitting up on their high horses dreaming about compassionat acts for hundreds of years.... dreaming, and doing nothing!

By where have they gotten I mean it is a circular loop.... the same old thing, no progress... just fantastical gnostic claims and the same old discussions that we are having here.

.
.
.

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/

B Soroud

Jul 4, 2011, 7:43:10 PM7/4/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
but to say something positive... I like your formulation of religion as argument by authority.

Religion = argument by authority.

Now there are two forms of spirituality as barely distinguished from religion: theoretical spirituality and existential spirituality.

Theoretical spirituality as indemonstrable cosmology/metaphysics/teleology generally grounded in the argument by authority on the one hand, or by a rationalist mode of procedure on the other.

There can be existential spirituality without the inferences, postulates, and explanations of the theoretical assertions grounded in revelation or argument by authority..... and perhaps argument by persuasiveness.... i.e. the rhetoric of logos, pathos, and ethos....... this can be a subtle and sublimated form of argument by authority.

B Soroud

Jul 4, 2011, 7:53:36 PM7/4/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Yes! perhaps Reason is the ultimate sublimated form of the argument by authority..... and the demonstrable merely regulated to a highly limited and relatively insubstantial plane.

back to the Sophists! lets throw out the platonic and peripatetic presuppositions and linguistic forms  inherited  and embedded in modern physics and thought!

Bruno Marchal

Jul 5, 2011, 4:39:59 AM7/5/11

On 05 Jul 2011, at 00:29, B Soroud wrote:

> Bruno, damn, this is heavy.... give me a moment to reply:
>
> you see. I can be very sure that my body exists.... a 100% sure...
> but I can't be sure that anything else exists.

The old dream argument already refute this. It is the beginning of
science and philosophy. I have no clue how you can be sure that your
body exist. You can only assume this.

> you say: " Just now, you can hardlmy doubt you are... you know that
> you are conscious. You know that you ...but you know you are living
> it here and now."
>
> I can doubt that "I am".... but I can't doubt that "x is". But what
> does x mean?

Anything objective. Anything which admit a third person description.
That is always doubtable, and can only be based on a theory (created
consciously, or selected by evolution).

> " You know that you are conscious. You know perfectly what it is. It
> is what makes pain painful. "
>
> false! false! I don't know what pain is.... I know what the word
> refers to.... but once I try to pay close attention to it and figure
> out what it is.... I don't know what it is.... it just is....

You confuse knowing a first person fact, and understanding a theory
accounting for that fact. In your sense we should say that we know
nothing.

> You think you know what these "things" are but once you play close
> attention they slip through your fingers...... they just become
> unintelligible names..... because "sensation" is a name...... the
> "thing itself" is not the word..... and the "thing itself" is
> unknowable.

In which theory?

> I can say that I am but I cannot say what I am or what is
> is........I can just say..... x is. but I know neither what x or is
> is. (take this seriously, I am not sophisticating)
>
> "I think that you assume the existence of a physical primitive
> universe."
>
> Do you mean I assume some substantial and objective reductionist
> state of affairs? I don't assume anything.

Just reread you post. You assume humans have bodies. You assume time
and space, etc. If you are not aware of your assumption, you will take
time to progress. We always do assumption.

> "Mind construction are some definable, and some non definable number
> relation"
>
> I define any conception or notion of mind, and even the notion of
> mind-construction.... as by definition a "mind-construction".

And how do you define "mind construction", and from what assumption?

> What on earth do you mean by number... it sounds like it is your way
> to make a pure abstraction out of concrete determinations. It sounds
> like your use of the word number is your way to transcendentalize
> things out of existence and convert them into pure abstract
> identities.

As I said I do assume simple first order logic axiom: like
0 ≠ s(x)
s(x) = s(y) -> x = y
etc.
I refer you to the papers for details. I have never met scientist
having any doubt on those formula. In science we are never able to
define what we are talking about, but we can share starting statement
and make proof from there.

> ".It is the belief in a form of technologically possible
> reincarnation"
>
> Have you seen ghost in the shell.... if you really believed this...
> you should scrap or hide the theory all together. We are too corrupt
> and perverse for it.... we would simply stain another space of
> existence.

So you do object comp. It is your right. I am agnostic. All what I
prove is that IF comp is true, THEN physics is verifiably a branch of
machine's theology/number theory.

> Now this self-introspection that you speak of...
>
> what introspection.... what is being observed? what is the form of
> observation?
>
> what is observing what?

An immaterial machine is reasoning about itself in the manner
discovered by Gödel, and clearly explained in his 1931 paper, and
enormously exploited since then.

> what causes or constitutes or conditions the observation?

Machine's interactions. Eventually, after understanding the UD
reasoning, it is special number relations.

> When you close your eyes, are you seeing some "inner space", the
> inside of your skull? or the back of your eyelids?
>

> I don't want to follow you into your sci-fi salvationist
> technocratic world-vision.

Not even for the sake of a reasoning? You are just saying: I don't
like this so I will pray for it to be false. This is not the usual
method in the scientific enterprise.

Bruno

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/

Bruno Marchal

Jul 5, 2011, 4:48:39 AM7/5/11

On 05 Jul 2011, at 01:15, B Soroud wrote:

> Bru, I forgot:
>
> "At least they do not burn alive non buddhist, or very less often
> so. What do you mean "where have they gotten"?"
>
> Sure they don't burn alive non buddhists becaues they've had their
> head up their asses for the last several thousand years.... and
> finally they were woken up from their dogmatic slumber by the
> invasion of the Chinese.... they were sitting up on their high
> horses dreaming about compassionat acts for hundreds of years....
> dreaming, and doing nothing!
>
> By where have they gotten I mean it is a circular loop.... the same
> old thing, no progress... just fantastical gnostic claims and the
> same old discussions that we are having here.

I think that you are just insulting people when you disagree with
them. It is hardly convincing. I refer you to a testable precise
theory, and you use vague sunday philosophy to justify not studying it.

Bruno

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/

Bruno Marchal

Jul 5, 2011, 5:04:47 AM7/5/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com

It ios never the case in science (well understood). It is always like
"do you see what I see?" + "do you guess what I guess"? Science is
only question. The idea that science can provide an answer in
metaphysics, appears only by science abandon of metaphysics and
theology. Science start from doubts and leads only to more doubts.
I would write fake-religion = fake science = argument of authority =
bandits at work.
The opposition between science and religion is the big delusion, which
betrays what science modestly is, and what religion modestly is.

Bruno

> --
> .

Bruno Marchal

Jul 5, 2011, 5:09:19 AM7/5/11
On 05 Jul 2011, at 01:53, B Soroud wrote:

Yes! perhaps Reason is the ultimate sublimated form of the argument by authority.....

You look more and more talking like the Pope. Science is the devil.
I don't follow you here at all. reason is *the* tool against argument by authority. It is a liberation tool.

and the demonstrable merely regulated to a highly limited and relatively insubstantial plane.

back to the Sophists! lets throw out the platonic and peripatetic presuppositions and linguistic forms  inherited  and embedded in modern physics and thought!

I told you that physics is not fundamental, once we assume mechanism. It is the point. When I am in a provocative mood, I like to say that the physical universe is an invention of the devil to distract us from the 'real thing". To be sure, physics appears as absolutely solid and fundamental, but is no more primary. The physical reality appears like the border of the universal mind (the mind of the universal machine).

Bruno

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 4:43 PM, B Soroud <bso...@gmail.com> wrote:
but to say something positive... I like your formulation of religion as argument by authority.

Religion = argument by authority.

Now there are two forms of spirituality as barely distinguished from religion: theoretical spirituality and existential spirituality.

Theoretical spirituality as indemonstrable cosmology/metaphysics/teleology generally grounded in the argument by authority on the one hand, or by a rationalist mode of procedure on the other.

There can be existential spirituality without the inferences, postulates, and explanations of the theoretical assertions grounded in revelation or argument by authority..... and perhaps argument by persuasiveness.... i.e. the rhetoric of logos, pathos, and ethos....... this can be a subtle and sublimated form of argument by authority.

Alberto G.Corona

Jul 5, 2011, 5:42:35 AM7/5/11
to Everything List
Jost to introduce another point of view about consciousnees. The one
that I think its right:

According with evolutionary Psychology, Consciousness evolved as an
adaptation to social life. Broadly specaking, non social animals are
unconscious and selfless. In social life, before self awareness, other
awareness evolved. Other awareness is necessary to optimize
interactions with other members of the group. for this purpose, other-
awareness functionality idientiifies individuals and register past
interactions with each individual.

Wen social interactions were more sophisticated, self awareness
evolved as a response to others' other-awareness: If other
individuals have a detail register of my behaviour, I can optimize my
interaction with them if I am aware of what the others expect from me.
For this purpose, I must be aware and I must register, whathever I do
that may affect to others. So I may unconsciously pick up a donut
from the refrigerator and not even notice it, but I´m well aware of it
when I´m fatty and my wife is looking.

Self conscious supervision of our acts is not for free. it adds an
extra overload in the brain and in the way we do things that is
visible to others. If the other that is looking is very important for
us, we can experiment seizures. Conversely, the absence of self
awareness is experimented as flowing.

To complete the picture, I must say that the awareness of spiritual
beings that continuously supervise us is a further social instinct
that make use of the self supervision machinery. This avoid
machiavelic behaviours that may be deleterious for the group

Of course a machine can be designed to have such computational self
awareness, but the question of if real self awareness is still open.

On Jul 1, 1:23 pm, selva kumar <selvakr1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is consciousness causally effective ?

Bruno Marchal

Jul 5, 2011, 7:07:49 AM7/5/11

On 05 Jul 2011, at 11:42, Alberto G.Corona wrote:

> Jost to introduce another point of view about consciousnees. The one
> that I think its right:
>
> According with evolutionary Psychology, Consciousness evolved as an
> adaptation to social life.

Are you sure you don't confuse consciousness and conscience. I think
that solitary primitive animals felt pain, and are thus consciouss
(although not necessarily self-conscious).

> Broadly specaking, non social animals are
> unconscious and selfless.

I tend to believe the contrary. The more an animal is social, the more
it could be self-less. Even humans can destroy the individual self by
using strong group identity.

> In social life, before self awareness, other
> awareness evolved. Other awareness is necessary to optimize
> interactions with other members of the group. for this purpose, other-
> awareness functionality idientiifies individuals and register past
> interactions with each individual.
>
> Wen social interactions were more sophisticated, self awareness
> evolved as a response to others' other-awareness: If other
> individuals have a detail register of my behaviour, I can optimize my
> interaction with them if I am aware of what the others expect from me.
> For this purpose, I must be aware and I must register, whathever I do
> that may affect to others. So I may unconsciously pick up a donut
> from the refrigerator and not even notice it, but I´m well aware of it
> when I´m fatty and my wife is looking.
>
> Self conscious supervision of our acts is not for free. it adds an
> extra overload in the brain and in the way we do things that is
> visible to others. If the other that is looking is very important for
> us, we can experiment seizures. Conversely, the absence of self
> awareness is experimented as flowing.
>
> To complete the picture, I must say that the awareness of spiritual
> beings that continuously supervise us is a further social instinct
> that make use of the self supervision machinery. This avoid
> machiavelic behaviours that may be deleterious for the group
>
> Of course a machine can be designed to have such computational self
> awareness, but the question of if real self awareness is still open.

In which theory?

Bruno

> On Jul 1, 1:23 pm, selva kumar <selvakr1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is consciousness causally effective ?
>>
>> I found this question in previous threads,but I didn't find a answer.

Alberto G.Corona

Jul 5, 2011, 8:11:34 AM7/5/11
to Everything List

On Jul 5, 1:07 pm, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
> On 05 Jul 2011, at 11:42, Alberto G.Coronawrote:
>
> > Jost to introduce another point of view about consciousnees. The one
> > that I think its right:
>
> > According with evolutionary Psychology,  Consciousness evolved as an
> > adaptation to social life.
>
> Are you sure you don't confuse consciousness and conscience. I think
> that solitary primitive animals felt pain, and are thus consciouss
> (although not necessarily self-conscious).

Depending on the pain and depending on the animal and the context.
Following the theory exposed, self consciousness of pain, exist when
the animal know that other individuals can take actions to alleviate
it. Social Animals grown t in isolation don´t cry (including humans).

Of course either conscious or not, the animal must avoid the pain, but
a non self aware animal may experiment pain just as you and me may
experiment pain when we are deeply concentrated in an intellectual
activity. the reactions to pain in this case are automatic.

> > Broadly specaking, non social animals are
> > unconscious and selfless.
>
> I tend to believe the contrary. The more an animal is social, the more
> it could be self-less. Even humans can destroy the individual self by
> using strong group identity.

That can happen sometimes. If you feel very good inside a group, why
bother to control yourself?. Self awareness is not for social life as
such, it is for avoiding conflicts and making profit of social
interactions. If you are immersed in an activity where you feel free
of conflicts, you dont need self awarenees. For example in a concert,
or in a meeting with people who think like you, with your friends etc.

Other situations where you feel selfless is when you travel to a
foreign pacific place. where you are surronded by peaceful foreigners
and your acts will not influence your future reputation at home. To
feel selfless is probably one reason why people travel.

> > interaction with them if I am aware of what the others expect from me.
> > For this purpose, I must be aware and I must register, whathever I do
> > that may affect to others.  So I may  unconsciously pick up a donut
> > from the refrigerator and not even notice it, but I´m well aware of it
> > when  I´m fatty and my wife is looking.
>
> > Self conscious supervision of our acts is not for free. it adds an
> > extra overload in the brain and in the way we do things that is
> > visible to others. If the other that is looking is very important for
> > us, we can experiment seizures. Conversely, the absence of self
> > awareness is experimented as flowing.
>
> > To complete the picture, I must say that the awareness of spiritual
> > beings that continuously supervise us is a further social instinct
> > that make use of the self supervision machinery. This avoid
> > machiavelic behaviours that may be deleterious for the group
>
> > Of course a machine can be designed to have such computational self
> > awareness, but the question of  if real self awareness is still open.
>
> In which theory?

This is more or less the theory of the evolutionary origin of self
consciousness according with Evolutionary Psychology. This is more or
less the consensus. Daniel Dennet wrote something about it. Pinker
too. Evolution is parsimonious. It proceed step by step by
accumulation functionalities in respionse to evolutionary pressures,
in this case, mental modules that correspond to computational hardware
in the brain. This is the most logical path that evolution may have
follow.

There are psico-phisical experiments that is according with this
theory. There are experiments where the activity of both the motor
signal of a hand and the cortex tissue that "control" the hand are
measured. The "control" signal in the cortex appears one second
after the motor signal when the test individual received the order to
move the hand. this means that some other unconscious part does the
real control, and the cortex just take note of the movement and assign
the action to the self, when in reality, the action has been done
already unconsciously. This is described by Pinker in some of its
books. Presumably in "how the mind works".

So, by definition, consciousness is causally efective. it is a mind
module. Mind modules are not located in specifin spatially conected
parts of the brain, they are distributed, in the same way that the
file search in Microsoft windows is not located in a concrete zone of
the PC hardware. In this case self consciousness is distributed in the
human cortex.

> Bruno
>

> > On Jul 1, 1:23 pm, selva kumar <selvakr1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Is consciousness causally effective ?
>
> >> I found this question in previous threads,but I didn't find a answer.
>
> > --
> > .

Bruno Marchal

Jul 5, 2011, 11:09:50 AM7/5/11

On 05 Jul 2011, at 14:11, Alberto G.Corona wrote:

> On Jul 5, 1:07 pm, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>> On 05 Jul 2011, at 11:42, Alberto G.Coronawrote:
>>
>>> Jost to introduce another point of view about consciousnees. The one
>>> that I think its right:
>>
>>> According with evolutionary Psychology, Consciousness evolved as an
>>> adaptation to social life.
>>
>> Are you sure you don't confuse consciousness and conscience. I think
>> that solitary primitive animals felt pain, and are thus consciouss
>> (although not necessarily self-conscious).
>>
> Depending on the pain and depending on the animal and the context.
> Following the theory exposed, self consciousness of pain, exist when
> the animal know that other individuals can take actions to alleviate
> it. Social Animals grown t in isolation don´t cry (including humans).
>
> Of course either conscious or not, the animal must avoid the pain,

Personnally I tend to consider that the word 'pain' refer to something
we are conscious of. If not conscious it is a signal, an information,
but not a pain. Of course this does not need self-consciousness, just
consciousness. I tend to think that all animals, even microbe are
conscious, and I am open to the idea that plant might be too on some
time scale. Just from observation. On the contrary I tend to believe
that self-consciousness appears with an already rather elaborate
circuitry. Recently I have enlarge the spectrum to the spider and the
octopus. Spider seems to be able to bond with people. I have made some
test on spiders which confirm this feeling. Note that such kind of
things are not provable, but only guessable. I can't prove to you that
I am conscious. I cannot even define what I mean by that.

> but
> a non self aware animal may experiment pain just as you and me may
> experiment pain when we are deeply concentrated in an intellectual
> activity. the reactions to pain in this case are automatic.

But as far as I am not conscious of it. It is no more pain. If I can
forget a pain by hard work (which is indeed possible), then it is like
a pain killer. Unfortunately, most of the time, hard work will only
act like an attention shifter, I remain conscious of the pain aspect
of the experience, but, if not too big, we can focus the conscious
attention on something else.

>>> Broadly specaking, non social animals are
>>> unconscious and selfless.
>>
>> I tend to believe the contrary. The more an animal is social, the
>> more
>> it could be self-less. Even humans can destroy the individual self by
>> using strong group identity.
>>
> That can happen sometimes. If you feel very good inside a group, why
> bother to control yourself?. Self awareness is not for social life as
> such, it is for avoiding conflicts and making profit of social
> interactions. If you are immersed in an activity where you feel free
> of conflicts, you dont need self awarenees. For example in a concert,
> or in a meeting with people who think like you, with your friends etc.

OK, that makes sense.

> Other situations where you feel selfless is when you travel to a
> foreign pacific place. where you are surronded by peaceful foreigners
> and your acts will not influence your future reputation at home. To
> feel selfless is probably one reason why people travel.

I am OK, although I am not sure if you are not confusing non-self-
consciousness, and consciousness with no attention focusing on the
self part of consciousness. That might be very close, yet different.
With some meditation technic, or with sleep technic, we can easily
forget the self, yet the type of consciousness is still of the self-
consciousness sort, in the sense that we keep up the belief in the
self. We just don't pay attention to it. It is very different from
experience where the self vanishes, which can also happen in sleep
(non REM sleep), death, etc.

>>> interaction with them if I am aware of what the others expect from
>>> me.
>>> For this purpose, I must be aware and I must register, whathever I
>>> do
>>> that may affect to others. So I may unconsciously pick up a donut
>>> from the refrigerator and not even notice it, but I´m well aware
>>> of it
>>> when I´m fatty and my wife is looking.
>>
>>> Self conscious supervision of our acts is not for free. it adds an
>>> extra overload in the brain and in the way we do things that is
>>> visible to others. If the other that is looking is very important
>>> for
>>> us, we can experiment seizures. Conversely, the absence of self
>>> awareness is experimented as flowing.
>>
>>> To complete the picture, I must say that the awareness of spiritual
>>> beings that continuously supervise us is a further social instinct
>>> that make use of the self supervision machinery. This avoid
>>> machiavelic behaviours that may be deleterious for the group
>>
>>> Of course a machine can be designed to have such computational self
>>> awareness, but the question of if real self awareness is still
>>> open.
>>
>> In which theory?
>>
> This is more or less the theory of the evolutionary origin of self
> consciousness according with Evolutionary Psychology.

I can be OK with this. In the big picture I think that this is only an
explanation of a re-instantiation of consciousness, not a creation of
it. But for this you need to study a bit what I explain here (and
there).

> This is more or
> less the consensus.

So let us be skeptical :)

> Daniel Dennet wrote something about it. Pinker
> too. Evolution is parsimonious. It proceed step by step by
> accumulation functionalities in respionse to evolutionary pressures,
> in this case, mental modules that correspond to computational hardware
> in the brain. This is the most logical path that evolution may have
> follow.

OK. That is the reflexive loop which makes us Löbian. Now humans have
super-exploited that loop. But the original one belongs to the
cerebral stem, and part of the limbic system, I would say. The cortex
integrate it probably in even more high level loop. This does not add
anything to self-consciousness, but can interface it with a more
elaborate relationship with the body.

> There are psico-phisical experiments that is according with this
> theory. There are experiments where the activity of both the motor
> signal of a hand and the cortex tissue that "control" the hand are
> measured. The "control" signal in the cortex appears one second
> after the motor signal when the test individual received the order to
> move the hand. this means that some other unconscious part

? Why unconscious?
Anyway, I think that neither self-consciousness, nor free-will, are
related with determinism. Most conclusion derived from Libet
experience relies on a naïve supervenience thesis between brain and
mind which is obsolete once we take seriously the idea that
consciousness can be associated to a computation. (as they do). Time
is somehow the main construct of that computation, which is not a
physical thing, but an informational immaterial pattern. This might
not be relevant for your present point though.

> does the
> real control, and the cortex just take note of the movement and assign
> the action to the self, when in reality, the action has been done
> already unconsciously. This is described by Pinker in some of its
> books. Presumably in "how the mind works".

OK.

> So, by definition, consciousness is causally efective.

We agree on that. Not sure this is given "by definition". Some will
object that this is still only "self-awareness" of the kind of what is
available to a super-zombie robot. This in particular does not solve
the qualia problem, which needs to take into account the self-
reference logics to account of the true feeling + the impossibility of
communicating it.

> it is a mind
> module. Mind modules are not located in specifin spatially conected
> parts of the brain, they are distributed, in the same way that the
> file search in Microsoft windows is not located in a concrete zone of
> the PC hardware. In this case self consciousness is distributed in the
> human cortex.

I am not sure. The cortex surely can make us believe this, by linking
the consciousness to complex images of the body. Nevertheless I tend
to think, since I read the theory of dreams by Hobson, that self-
consciousness originates in a complete loop activated by the interplay
of the cerebral stem, the limbic system and the cortex. Now, I think
that the cortex alone might emulate such kind of loops, so that if you
cut the brain in little (but not too much little) parts, some self-
conscious circuitry can, for a time continue. But I do think that the
usual original sense of the selves is distributed in the whole brain.
The cortex seems, from what I read, to allow the integration of the
self with a highly sophisticated view we can have of oneself.
Consciousness and selves are per se relatively simple and primitive,
and might already be a "product" of the oldest part of our brain. Some
experiences with dissociative chemical products can point on this, as
far as we can use this in such a complex debate.

Bruno

>> Bruno

>>> --
>>> .
>>
>> http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/
>
> --
> .

Bruno Marchal

Jul 5, 2011, 1:06:07 PM7/5/11

On 04 Jul 2011, at 21:55, meekerdb wrote:

> On 7/4/2011 12:38 PM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>> The mathematical science is certainly not causally inert. Without
>> math, no chips, no internet, no man on the moon, etc.
>
> But the form of argument, "Without X we wouldn't have Y, therefore X
> caused Y." is invalid.

Agreed. But the notion of cause is not the notion of implication. I
was just saying that the use of human mathematics was responsible for
the acceleration of progress. The mathematical discovery of logarithms
has multiplied the travel distances. The existence of mathematics
change the world. And not just human mathematics. Any brain already
exists by virtue of some mathematical, representational, machine to
emulate other machine, leading to relative self-acceleration.

I can understand that a materialist can still believe that the
mathematical reality does not act physically on our reality, but
mathematics acts, in that respect, by allowing the physical to obeys
mathematical laws, and some of those laws, to make sense, assume
primitive arithmetical law. The basic intuition of number is the idea
that we can distinguish something from something else.

> Consider, without space we wouldn't have gone to the Moon, therefore
> space caused us to go to the Moon.

The point is that space makes it possible, to start with.

> If you stretch causes to include everything that must have been the
> case for Y to happen then you end up with a meaningless plethora of
> causes: The universe caused Y.

Addition and multiplication "causes" the belief in universes and
universe. The 8 'hypostases' from God (Arithmetical truth) to Matter
(what is sigma_1, provable, consistent, and true).

>> And from inside the computationalist mindscape, the dynamics emerge
>> as internal (arithmetical) indexicals. But this is the fate of any
>> TOE, or better ROE (realm of everything, the theories themselves
>> only scratches the surface).
>>

>>> Yet it's existence is debatable and it's certainly interesting to
>>> discuss. And in any case, the elan vital was endlessly debate for
>>> centuries and was eventually discarded as nonexistent.
>>
>> Like mechanism justifies that the "material force" will be
>> discarded as non existent, but explainable in term of number
>> theoretical relations (coherent number's beliefs).
>
> Forces are explainable by many things. I'll be more impressed when
> you predict one.

It will take time before we get something like F = ma or the Feynman
integral, especially if people don't search. My point is only that it
is the only way to explain force without making the qualia disappear,
or without violating the comp principle, or without putting
consciousness under the rug.

The point is not to submit a "new" physics, just a translation of a
problem into another problem, (complex, but purely mathematical). The
understanding of the arithmetical origin of the physical laws might
help to avoid senseless question.

Physics is very mathematical by itself, and has already palpable
relation with number theory. An application of the bosonic string
theory = To prove the four squares theorem in number theory!

The distribution of prime numbers might emulate a sort of quantum
computer. Even without comp, I find rather natural that the physical
laws expresses internally observable number symmetries. It might be
that the theory of finite simple groups is at play. But justifying
this by using the self-reference logics allows us to take into account
the first person perspectives of the relative numbers, and it should
explain the winning symmetries by a measure argument. Meanwhile it
gives a different (non aristotelician picture of the "ontological
everything" (I will called that the realm, or the ROE, the ontology of
the everything).

Now we can like that, dislike that. Take time to swallow, I don't
know. Comp might be false. We have to keep this in mind. Comp might be
true with a very low substitution level. The level could be so low
that it is virtually very similar to materialism (and in practice it
makes the digitalist doctor inexistant).

What I do like in comp, and in the universal machine discourse, it the
theory of virtue (the type Dt). It is really a sort of vaccine about
the argument by authority. It makes the universal machine a sort of
universal dissident. *you* are your own best guru, if you look twice
(inward).

Bruno

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/

Pzomby

Jul 5, 2011, 3:48:44 PM7/5/11
to Everything List

On Jul 5, 10:06 am, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
> On 04 Jul 2011, at 21:55, meekerdb wrote:
>
> > On 7/4/2011 12:38 PM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
> >> The mathematical science is certainly not causally inert. Without
> >> math, no chips, no internet, no man on the moon, etc.
>
> > But the form of argument, "Without X we wouldn't have Y, therefore X
> > caused Y." is invalid.
>
> Agreed. But the notion of cause is not the notion of implication. I
> was just saying that the use of human mathematics was responsible for
> the acceleration of progress. The mathematical discovery of logarithms
> has multiplied the travel distances. The existence of mathematics
> change the world. And not just human mathematics. Any brain already
> exists by virtue of some mathematical, representational, machine to
> emulate other machine, leading to relative self-acceleration.
>
> I can understand that a materialist can still believe that the
> mathematical reality does not act physically on our reality, but
> mathematics acts, in that respect, by allowing the physical to obeys
> mathematical laws, and some of those laws, to make sense, assume
> primitive arithmetical law. The basic intuition of number is the idea
> that we can distinguish something from something else.

If I understand you correctly, this would mean that all physical
matter, forces and energies are actually encoded with the same
mathematical rules that the brain/mind/consciousness distinguishes
using mathematics. Then would not brain/mind/consciousness itself be
subject to the same rules? Are you stating that the rules (laws)
themselves have some kind of dispositional property (like a magnet
with positive and negative attraction poles)?
Thanks
Pzomby
> http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/- Hide quoted text -

B Soroud

Jul 5, 2011, 4:21:03 PM7/5/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
"I think that you are just insulting people when you disagree with them. It is hardly convincing. "

yes and no.

When I say they had their heads up their arses for hundreds of years.... I mean something by that more then just name calling or insults.... it is a serious metaphorically framed criticism based on some knowledge.

B Soroud

Jul 5, 2011, 4:28:51 PM7/5/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
lol, Bruno, lets not argue... we will eternally disagree.

Bruno Marchal

Jul 6, 2011, 1:03:38 PM7/6/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com

Not at all. The rules of the brain are finite (that's why we can say
"yes" to the doctor). But both the rules of mind (1-person) and the
rules of matter (1-person plural) are not more finitely descriptible.
You really have to do the UD thought exercise. Once you see the
growing gap between the 3-description and the 1-description, you can
understand (and the math confirms) that mechanism makes the
arithmetical reality very big as seen from inside, and that matter is
some kind of border of that inside, and both are far beyond what can
be described by finite rules. Indeed, the problem becomes "how and why
does physics look so much computable". At first sight, the UD makes
too much white rabbits and white noise everywhere, but then by taking
into account logical self-referential constraints, white rabbits are
made much less obvious.

> Then would not brain/mind/consciousness itself be
> subject to the same rules?

The 3-things obeys elementary arithmetic, but the 1-things depends on
all what is unknown in arithmetic (that's big). They can be
approximated and reflected, and indeed consciousness is probably a
fixed point, like when a map is embedded in the territory. But they do
not obeys the same laws. All the points of view (the 8 "hypostases")
obeys to different, but related, laws.

> Are you stating that the rules (laws)
> themselves have some kind of dispositional property (like a magnet
> with positive and negative attraction poles)?

I am not sure of what you mean. Finite sets of laws/axioms + inference
rules/law defines machines, which have dispositional properties. But
in the "block mindscape", which exists when assuming comp (it is a
tiny part of arithmetic), you cannot see the disposition, they appears
only relatively to some machines living or observing them.

> Thanks

You are welcome.

Bruno

> --
> .

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/

Stathis Papaioannou

Jul 7, 2011, 2:57:18 AM7/7/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 12:53 AM, Stephen Paul King
<step...@charter.net> wrote:
> Hi Bruno,
>
>     Pretty freaking cool post! A few comments...

I'm not following this thread closely, but it seems to me that the
question in the subject line is a spurious one. It is like asking, Is
the motion of a car along the road causally effective, or is it the
chemical reaction resulting in the combustion of fuel in the cylinders
which is causally effective?

--
Stathis Papaioannou

Alberto G.Corona

Aug 25, 2011, 6:12:29 AM8/25/11
to Everything List

On Jul 5, 1:07 pm, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
> On 05 Jul 2011, at 11:42, Alberto G.Corona wrote:
>.
>
> Are you sure you don't confuse consciousness and conscience. I think
> that solitary primitive animals felt pain, and are thus consciouss
> (although not necessarily self-conscious).

Hi again

Right

Consicence may be a less sophisticated version of self-consciousness..
I think honestly that all attemps of explaining conscience in terms of
a certain degree of complexity or as a certain property of neurons or
tissues goes the wrong path. Broadly speaking, this is like a medieval
scientist trying to explain a video game console in terms of the
complexity and colourfulness of the printed circuits. These views
ignores the work of the hardware designer that creates the machine and
the programmer that make the algorithms.

In living beings the work of the hardware designer and the programmer
are done by a guy called Natural Selection. and this guy builds things
for a purpose: Survival. What is conscience for? A self preserving
being with a central nervous system (an animal) must stablish a clear
distinction between its body and the environment in order to preserve
itself. If he do not know the status of each of its parts in relation
to the environment, he can not determine the priorities for self
preservation: does he must avoid a predator? does he must eat
something? etc. The effect of the activity set of all these central
nervous systems is the conscience in the most basic manifestation.

No degree of "complexity" or neuronal-like machinery will manifest
conscience without the proper algorithms (and the sensors-actuators
too). As Theodosius Dobzhansky said: Nothing in Biology (and i
suspect, nothing in anything) Makes Sense Except in the Light of
Evolution.

Honestly:
Alberto.

Craig Weinberg

Aug 25, 2011, 7:50:20 AM8/25/11
to Everything List
I think even evolution is only one half of the story, or the story
seen from only one side. Everything that conscience could provide in
terms of survival could be just as easily provided unconsciously.
There would be no need for the video game to have a graphic interface
and controller if you already have software that runs directly on the
hardware. I agree completely that complexity is the wrong direction to
go in, but in addition to the teleonomy of evolution, we routinely
participate teleologically in/as/through the universe.

Even if there were some evolutionary purpose served by feeling like we
are participating and making choices when we aren't, and for the
elaborately rich cornucopia of sensation and imagination we have
instant access to, evolution itself has no way to conjure 'experience'
out of inert material phenomena. It would be much more likely for
evolution to develop something like voluntary time travel or physical
omnipotence as a survival strategy then something like feeling which
totally defies conception in conventional physical terms.

Craig

meekerdb

Aug 25, 2011, 12:15:07 PM8/25/11
On 8/25/2011 3:12 AM, Alberto G.Corona wrote:
> On Jul 5, 1:07 pm, Bruno Marchal<marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>
>> On 05 Jul 2011, at 11:42, Alberto G.Corona wrote:
>> .
>>
>> Are you sure you don't confuse consciousness and conscience. I think
>> that solitary primitive animals felt pain, and are thus consciouss
>> (although not necessarily self-conscious).
>>

> Hi again
>
> Right
>
> Consicence may be a less sophisticated version of self-consciousness..
> I think honestly that all attemps of explaining conscience in terms of
> a certain degree of complexity or as a certain property of neurons or
> tissues goes the wrong path. Broadly speaking, this is like a medieval
> scientist trying to explain a video game console in terms of the
> complexity and colourfulness of the printed circuits. These views
> ignores the work of the hardware designer that creates the machine and
> the programmer that make the algorithms.
>
> In living beings the work of the hardware designer and the programmer
> are done by a guy called Natural Selection. and this guy builds things
> for a purpose: Survival.

Or more accurately: Reproduction. But evolution must work with what it
has. That was Julian Jaynes insight into why we have an inner narrative
instead of some other kind of consciousness. Our symbolic cogitation is
built on top of our language, which in turn is built on top of social
relations.

Brent

Bruno Marchal

Aug 25, 2011, 7:03:01 PM8/25/11

On 25 Aug 2011, at 12:12, Alberto G.Corona wrote:

> On Jul 5, 1:07 pm, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>> On 05 Jul 2011, at 11:42, Alberto G.Corona wrote:
>> .
>>
>> Are you sure you don't confuse consciousness and conscience. I think
>> that solitary primitive animals felt pain, and are thus consciouss
>> (although not necessarily self-conscious).
>>
> Hi again
>
> Right
>
> Consicence may be a less sophisticated version of self-consciousness..
> I think honestly that all attemps of explaining conscience in terms of
> a certain degree of complexity or as a certain property of neurons or
> tissues goes the wrong path.

I agree. Those are implementation. Conscience and consciousness are
attribute of first person, soul; etc.

> Broadly speaking, this is like a medieval
> scientist trying to explain a video game console in terms of the
> complexity and colourfulness of the printed circuits. These views
> ignores the work of the hardware designer that creates the machine and
> the programmer that make the algorithms.

But little program with simple instruction (like help yourself) can go
very far if you give them the time.
We can already have "conversations" with simple introspective machine,
albeit abstract and mathematical.

> In living beings the work of the hardware designer and the programmer
> are done by a guy called Natural Selection. and this guy builds things
> for a purpose: Survival. What is conscience for? A self preserving
> being with a central nervous system (an animal) must stablish a clear
> distinction between its body and the environment in order to preserve
> itself. If he do not know the status of each of its parts in relation
> to the environment, he can not determine the priorities for self
> preservation: does he must avoid a predator? does he must eat
> something? etc. The effect of the activity set of all these central
> nervous systems is the conscience in the most basic manifestation.

OK. The effect. Not the activity itself, but what the activity can
represent.
Consciousness is belief in a reality.
The role of self-consciousness is self-acceleration with respect to
that probable and possible reality.

> No degree of "complexity" or neuronal-like machinery will manifest
> conscience without the proper algorithms (and the sensors-actuators
> too). As Theodosius Dobzhansky said: Nothing in Biology (and i
> suspect, nothing in anything) Makes Sense Except in the Light of
> Evolution.

Evolution itself is a speeding up process. It build layers and layers
of universal level, a process mimicked by life, and then by thought,
and then by languages, and then (now) by machines.

Brain, computer, genome, universal machine, programming languages,
what I call the universal numbers or machines (UMs) are basically
dynamical mirror, and anticipator, and it allows and enlarge the
spectrum of further explorations, it augment the relative degrees of
freedom.

Evolution is driven by simple ideas, not unlike the Mandelbrot set. It
is not just mutation and selection, it is also meta-level evolution
and efficacious self-perturbation, and who knows, some reflexive
layers. A four dimensional view of humanity illustrates humanity and
life is a fractal. They are known to be locally rather complex, but
generated by powerful little idea (like try to eat, to f. and avoid to
be eaten).

The difference between natural and artificial is artificial. And thus
natural when selves develop. Machines, from the stick of wood to the
computers are natural extension of our life and thought and the
evolution of thought.

The universal machine is a terrible child. It is the little God. The
one you can give it a name, and then he got the ten thousand names
(Java, c++, prolog, algol, cobol, LISP, game of life, modular functor
of type 5, topological computer, ..., your brain, your cells, and many
parts of the physical universe, apparently).

If you give to those UMs, the ability of mathematical induction, they
seem to me as clever as you and me. They are just highly handicapped
and disconnected relatively to our probable histories. But they
universal incarnation is 50 years old, ours is billion of years old,
yet, they develop very quickly. Computer science is mostly used to
control them, not to let them controlling themselves, except timidly
in AI research.

Complexity is not the answer to deep questions. It is the consequence
of simple answer to deep questions.

Anyway, the comp consequences are independent of the substitution
level chose. Physics has to be justified.

Bruno

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/

Evgenii Rudnyi

Aug 29, 2011, 7:26:36 AM8/29/11
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
On 25.08.2011 12:12 Alberto G.Corona said the following:

In the book of Jeffrey Gray, "Consciousness: Creeping up on the hard
problem" the evolution viewpoint is played well out. Well, he consider
consciousness as conscious experience, so it is not conscience.

First, in his view, this is the exactly the argument for causality of
consciousness. Second his argument is that roughly speaking conscious
experience plays a role of late-error correction that happens to be
working more efficiently as compared with unconscious feedback mechanisms.

Evgenii
http://blog.rudnyi.ru