Is Eve dead?

Zafar Ansari

Dec 12, 2017, 6:14:36 AM12/12/17
to Eve talk
Eve google group is not active lately. Is Eve dead?

Pascal Bergmann

Dec 13, 2017, 3:59:57 AM12/13/17
to Eve talk
As far as I know, it's still in active development in private repositories. However, there most likely is a reason for that change. I think there will be an announcement soon.

inhaf...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2017, 1:31:26 PM12/14/17
to Eve talk
Hi

erfang...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2017, 2:46:30 PM12/16/17
to Eve talk

Anton Dyudin

Dec 17, 2017, 4:03:14 PM12/17/17
to Eve talk
which has had 2.5 months without a previously-monthly blog post

even "we're in the middle of another refactor, to Elm this time, and have nothing we can show publicly at the moment", or conversely an actual https://ourincrediblejourney.tumblr.com 3:

ruben.n...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2017, 12:25:42 PM12/18/17
to Eve talk
I don't believe Eve is dead.
But I do believe they are going through a pivot.

First why I believe it is not dead:

1. The Eve landing page seems to be updated in late November.

Early November:

Late November:

2. Chris Granger, the lead developer on the project, is still posting things on Twitter about Eve

So yes while they have been silent, I don't think they are dead. I think they are going silent because they are pivoting a bit.
Eve v0.2 and v0.3 were targeting towards developers, with a 'visual editor' coming later for those who were uncomfortable with programming.

However, if you look at the most recent work from Eve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_o-ZzgpiK8.
It seems like they are decided to instead of targeting Developers first they are now switching to the 'visual editor' first.

I think they have seen that targeting something like Eve to developers is a hard sell because by and large, most developers are comfortable with or like their tools. You can argue that this is because developers reject anything that isn't significantly 'C like', or that the expressiveness of text is unmatched or the masochists tendencies of developers. So I believe they are now targeting the 'non-programming' crowd first.

This, however, makes their job much more difficult because if marketing a new language to developers is hard. Try marking a new 'visual' language to developers. So they are being very careful with what they show as not to give a bad first impression.

Pascal Bergmann

Dec 18, 2017, 1:21:52 PM12/18/17
to Eve talk
The Eve team has developed its solution in an open innovation style; they showed stuff early and there were some very interesting discussions about how to bring Eve forward. Pivots were discussed openly. There must be a good reason to change that communication strategy.

Eve is a revolutionary approach to programming. I bet there are big players that want to invest in Eve. Maybe the team currently cannot say anything because of legal reasons.

Zafar Ansari

Dec 19, 2017, 7:37:04 AM12/19/17
to Eve talk

On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 4:14:36 PM UTC+5, Zafar Ansari wrote:
Let me rephrase my question. Is open source Eve dead?

Chris Granger

Dec 19, 2017, 11:51:03 AM12/19/17
to Zafar Ansari, Eve talk
Hey folks,

Sorry for the radio silence - it's partly because we've been taking a lot of meetings and partly because we don't know where things are headed yet. Unfortunately due to the way these things go, "we're taking a lot of meetings" is about all I can say right now, but I want to be up front about as much as I can. At some level, everything mentioned in this thread is true. It *is* likely the case that the current incarnation of Eve is coming to an end, but exactly what's next isn't clear. As that starts to become clearer, we'll let you guys know.

Cheers,
Chris.

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 4:37 AM Zafar Ansari <zafaa...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 4:14:36 PM UTC+5, Zafar Ansari wrote:
Let me rephrase my question. Is open source Eve dead?

Chuck Untulis

Dec 19, 2017, 4:40:05 PM12/19/17
to Eve talk
What are the fatal flaws?

Zafar Ansari

Dec 20, 2017, 2:46:43 AM12/20/17
to Eve talk

Eve was an over ambitious project. A full stack simple to use language with builtin distributed and relational database is what is required.

Pascal Bergmann

Dec 20, 2017, 3:22:47 AM12/20/17
to Eve talk
@Chris: thanks for your statement.

To ride the wave you could do an Evecoin ICO where each token is used to process transactions in Eves distributed database ;) Indigogo just started offering ICOs; they must be searching for projects.

Anyway, Eve has been an impressive ride so far. Elon Musk said this year that we can't take for granted that technology moves on forward, e.g. the Romans built aqueducts but when that empire fell, that knowledge ceased to exist with it. It's people who are visionary, determined, brilliant strategists and executors - all in one - who're developing the future of technology. People like Elon Musk. People like you.

Zubair Quraishi

Dec 20, 2017, 8:13:47 AM12/20/17
to Eve talk
Wouldn't it be better to use an EVECoin ICO just to raise money, why would it have to be related to transactions? (I don't know the answer, but I think that this is an interesting direction)

Chris Granger

Dec 20, 2017, 12:43:53 PM12/20/17
to Zubair Quraishi, Eve talk
Unfortunately ICOs aren’t really legal in the US without going through the IPO song and dance, which requires a ton of money.

Zubair Quraishi

Dec 20, 2017, 2:30:45 PM12/20/17
to Eve talk
Good point. Here in Europe we have simpler methods of crowdfunding like fundedbyme.com, but I think that would be illegal for a US based company too

ynotla...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2017, 4:38:53 PM12/20/17
to Eve talk

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 2:30:45 PM UTC-5, Zubair Quraishi wrote:
Good point. Here in Europe we have simpler methods of crowdfunding like fundedbyme.com, but I think that would be illegal for a US based company too

I ran a crowdfunding presentation for Boston Enet last year. There are variety of options for crowdfunding ranging from the go fund me to the SEC registered types. It's not hard to find out what's legal. It's not that expensive to do it right by the law and the investors. All the speakers were in agreement on one thing. Use a crowdfunding site with an audience that matches your market for your product.

Pascal Bergmann

Dec 20, 2017, 5:11:04 PM12/20/17
to Eve talk
AFAIK ICOs are legal in the US (and Europe) as long as they're not about securities. It's okay to offer "utility tokens". Those are tokens that allow your customers access to a service. Getting such a token is like pre-ordering something or getting a coupon (e.g. Filecoin). That's why I thought about selling tokens linked to transactions.

The Ethereum virtual machine is kind of a global distributed computer. At least in some regards there's an overlap between Eves and Ethereum visions. People are throwing crazy amounts of money in this direction. You've got working prototypes, a strong team and a solid track record. That's more than most people have - who actually took a part of that pie.

William Taysom

Dec 20, 2017, 6:45:21 PM12/20/17
to Eve talk
A problem with crazy money is that it's often attached to crazy expectations and cryptocurrency has definitely strange recently.

(For example, the Ethereum virtual machine distributes computation in a very strange way: instead of splitting up jobs across devices, let's run most every job on most every device to make sure most everyone agrees on the results.)

Zubair Quraishi

Dec 26, 2017, 2:24:38 AM12/26/17
to Eve talk