Public Demo Site - http://rage.kenningcorp.com

Waylon Kenning

Aug 14, 2010, 6:18:40 AM8/14/10
to Eureka Streams Development
Hi there,

Anouncing a demo site for Eureka Streams @ http://rage.kenningcorp.com.

The username is "demo" and there's no password necessary.

The username "sysadmin" is available to look at as well.

This demo site is running jetty as set up in the guide @
http://kenning.co.nz/development/eurekastreams-ubuntu-10-04-lts-installation-guide/
and has crashed on me once, so stability's a little rough at the
moment.

Any changes you make will affect the account, and I have no idea what
the impact is when two people log in at the same time.

If the site goes down, there's a script monitoring it, and will
restart the service, so check back in about five minutes.

This is running on a Xen VPS with 512MB of RAM, and 512MB of Swap, so
if the site goes slowly, doesn't work, breaks, or anything else, don't
be too surprised.

Any questions or problems, let me know. Thanks to Lockheed Martin for
sponsoring the project and open sourcing it. Well done! I'm really
excited about the project and look forward to spending a lot of time
on it getting the build process better, creating instructions for
building production environments, and integrating into systems that
enterprises currently have like AD, LDAP, and Email.

Regards,
Waylon.

Blake Caldwell

Aug 14, 2010, 8:52:13 AM8/14/10
to Eureka Streams Development
You get a +1 from me - well done!

I don't know what authentication mode you're using - do you have the
ability to create accounts?

On Aug 14, 6:18 am, Waylon Kenning <outside...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Anouncing a demo site for Eureka Streams @http://rage.kenningcorp.com.
>
> The username is "demo" and there's no password necessary.
>
> The username "sysadmin" is available to look at as well.
>
> This demo site is running jetty as set up in the guide @http://kenning.co.nz/development/eurekastreams-ubuntu-10-04-lts-insta...
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Anony Mous

Aug 14, 2010, 10:25:08 AM8/14/10
to Eureka Streams Development
Interesting.

Blake Caldwell

Aug 14, 2010, 10:32:01 AM8/14/10
to Eureka Streams Development
You get bonus points if you figure out why it doesn't work in Safari
(or Chrome?) :)

On Aug 14, 6:18 am, Waylon Kenning <outside...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Anouncing a demo site for Eureka Streams @http://rage.kenningcorp.com.
>
> The username is "demo" and there's no password necessary.
>
> The username "sysadmin" is available to look at as well.
>
> This demo site is running jetty as set up in the guide @http://kenning.co.nz/development/eurekastreams-ubuntu-10-04-lts-insta...

Shawn Dahlen

Aug 14, 2010, 11:22:09 AM8/14/10
to eureka-st...@googlegroups.com
If I remember correctly, we may have disabled Chrome and Safari generation from GWT in the build process to save time (since they are unsupported browsers at LM).

Sent from my iPhone

Tom Haser

Aug 14, 2010, 11:29:47 AM8/14/10
to Eureka Streams Development
I added a custom list and a suggestion (via #suggestion hashtag) to
the demo site. Nicely done, Waylon.

On Aug 14, 11:22 am, Shawn Dahlen <shawn.m.dah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I remember correctly, we may have disabled Chrome and Safari generation from GWT in the build process to save time (since they are unsupported browsers at LM).
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Bob Lawson

Aug 14, 2010, 11:34:47 AM8/14/10
to eureka-st...@googlegroups.com
Running it in Firefox.  Nice job.
--
Bob

Waylon Kenning

Aug 14, 2010, 11:41:33 AM8/14/10
to Eureka Streams Development
Hi Blake,

I believe it's just authenticating against a user's table in the
eurekastreams db on postgresql. I created the demo account with the
following command:

select createperson('demo', 'Demo', 'M', 'User',
'demo...@kenningcorp.com', 'demouser');

When connected to the database. The next thing I'd like to try is
productionising the setup, connecting to LDAP, maybe running on tomcat
etc. What application server is LMCO recommending for production
hosting?

Regards,
Waylon.

Rob Keane

Aug 14, 2010, 12:34:40 PM8/14/10
to Eureka Streams Development
This is great. As far as Safari/Chrome compatibility it's just a
matter of changing a field in the pom.xml. Might not be perfect, but
it shouldn't be that far off.

LMCO is using tomcat internally.

On Aug 14, 11:41 am, Waylon Kenning <outside...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Blake,
>
> I believe it's just authenticating against a user's table in the
> eurekastreams db on postgresql. I created the demo account with the
> following command:
>
> select createperson('demo', 'Demo', 'M', 'User',
> 'demou...@kenningcorp.com', 'demouser');

Rob Keane

Aug 14, 2010, 12:37:49 PM8/14/10
to Eureka Streams Development
For some reason all of the themes had "localhost" in the path. I took
the liberty of changing it to http://rage.kenningcorp.com, but we'll
have to look into why that's happening during setup.

Brian H. Mayo

Aug 14, 2010, 1:47:06 PM8/14/10
to Eureka Streams Development
Yes, that is the case. The standard (development) compile and site
build uses the GWT module named ApplicationDev, which only has 3
permutations (and does not include safari [which is all of webkit]).
To fix this, go into the parent project POM and edit the
build.gwt.modulename removing the Dev on the end to have the module
name be only org.eurekastreams.web.Application. This change will have
GWT compile 5 permutations.

On Aug 14, 11:22 am, Shawn Dahlen <shawn.m.dah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I remember correctly, we may have disabled Chrome and Safari generation from GWT in the build process to save time (since they are unsupported browsers at LM).
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Brian H. Mayo

Aug 14, 2010, 1:49:25 PM8/14/10
to Eureka Streams Development
I should say that an alternate way is to include a -D with the mvn
command that would override the default parent POM value and not have
you edit the file. This approach is better since you would need to
make sure you did not commit up a parent pom edit like that.

Brian H. Mayo

Aug 14, 2010, 1:51:59 PM8/14/10
to Eureka Streams Development
Once I compiled and built out with the full permutations enabled
(including safari [webkit]) Safari was able to load up the site.
There are formatting "challenges", but it loaded up.

I did this on my almost complete VirtualBox setup running Fedora 13
and using Host-Based networking on my Mac.

Brian H. Mayo

Aug 14, 2010, 1:55:10 PM8/14/10
to Eureka Streams Development
If you followed Steve T.'s directions, it has the site being built
using a security mode we call "open access". What this basically does
is to check that the username you entered in the username field on the
form is in fact a valid user. It does not care what password you
entered. The application logs you in as that user and continues
forward.

Nice job with the demo site. I was hoping to get one up as well with
a collection of orgs, groups, people, apps, feeds, etc. pre-populated
but time has not been on my side lately. :)

On Aug 14, 11:41 am, Waylon Kenning <outside...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Blake,
>
> I believe it's just authenticating against a user's table in the
> eurekastreams db on postgresql. I created the demo account with the
> following command:
>
> select createperson('demo', 'Demo', 'M', 'User',
> 'demou...@kenningcorp.com', 'demouser');

Waylon Kenning

Aug 16, 2010, 3:45:00 AM8/16/10
to Eureka Streams Development
Hey there,

I'd like to start work on productionising the server. Are there any
instructions on how to take the build and then run on Tomcat? I'm
considering taking "eurekastreams/web/target/ROOT.war" and deploying
into Tomcat and then seeing what happens.

Regards,
Waylon.

Brian H. Mayo

Aug 16, 2010, 7:44:08 AM8/16/10
to Eureka Streams Development
Waylon,
While it has been a while since we ran completely off of Tomcat (we
usually run with an Apache front-end using Proxy_ajp to only make
specific Servlet calls to Tomcat when needed and let Apache serve the
static stuff), that should work. I would strip down the out of the
box Tomcat configuration and logging to be specific to this single WAR
deployment (unless you have or intend to have other stuff being run by
this Tomcat instance) and disable the auto-features of Tomcat since
they are not needed for this deployment and a general recommendation
(to disable them) by Tomcat experts.

One thing to be think about is the gadget renderer port. As you can
tell from the configuration, for client browser security reasons, we
need to run a separate domain (or port in our case) for the gadget
rendener. The "Getting Started" guide uses Jetty to run two
connectors that point to the same codebase, which works. Another
configuration is to have Apache front-end the calls, which you can
have two "virtualhosts" or ports listening. For Tomcat, you can do a
similar setup by adding a "Connector" XML element to the server.xml in
addition to the one that is already configured.

Regards,
-Brian H. Mayo

J.M. SteelWolf

Aug 16, 2010, 3:03:39 PM8/16/10
to eureka-st...@googlegroups.com
What script do you have monitoring the site?

Waylon Kenning

Aug 16, 2010, 7:03:33 PM8/16/10
to Eureka Streams Development
Hey there,

I use Monit which can be installed by going apt-get install monit, and
then I followed the instructions @ http://mmonit.com/wiki/Monit/FAQ
using the wrapper script to give the jetty process a pid file which is
then monitored by monit. If the server goes down, the pid file should
disappear, and then monit will restart the process in a minute, and it
takes about a minute to get up and running.

Regards,
Waylon.

On Aug 17, 7:03 am, "J.M. SteelWolf" <steelwolf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  What script do you have monitoring the site?
>
> On 8/14/2010 4:18 AM, Waylon Kenning wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
>
> > Anouncing a demo site for Eureka Streams @http://rage.kenningcorp.com.
>
> > The username is "demo" and there's no password necessary.
>
> > The username "sysadmin" is available to look at as well.
>
> > This demo site is running jetty as set up in the guide @
> >http://kenning.co.nz/development/eurekastreams-ubuntu-10-04-lts-insta...

Waylon Kenning

Aug 16, 2010, 7:05:28 PM8/16/10
to Eureka Streams Development
Oh, and I use nginx as a reverse proxy so that if the site goes down,
then nginx gives a graceful error message, and also redirects the
output to port 80.

On Aug 17, 11:03 am, Waylon Kenning <outside...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I use Monit which can be installed by going apt-get install monit, and
> then I followed the instructions @http://mmonit.com/wiki/Monit/FAQ

Waylon Kenning

Aug 19, 2010, 2:35:50 AM8/19/10
to Eureka Streams Development
Hey there,

The site will be going down for maintenance as I rebuild the WAR file
with the right host name, and then deploy to Tomcat. I'll let you know
how it goes.

Regards,
Waylon.

Waylon Kenning

Aug 19, 2010, 5:07:24 AM8/19/10
to Eureka Streams Development
Hi there,

The site is back up and running, though still using Jetty, without
support for Chrome, but configured using the correct host name. I've
done a bit of testing and now the apps work. I updated the XML
settings which were all like:

rage.kenningcorp.com/org/eurekastreams/gadgets/feed-reader.xml

and updated to

http://rage.kenningcorp.com/org/eurekastreams/gadgets/feed-reader.xml

Which makes them work. Technically the server is running on port 8080
and uses nginx to redirect requests to port 80. This may be masking
things, or improving things that would otherwise cause errors.

Things I've found:

- The embedded SWF videos don't play. They sit in
http://rage.kenningcorp.com/style/videos/ but they still don't show up
working in Firefox
- I can't drag and drop apps in the sysadmin account, the page says
"Error occurred, please refresh and try again."
- Can't change any of the settings because there's no valid LDAP
groups
- The logout button is aligned to the rest of the buttons (which
appear to be rendered images, unlike the logout button)
- Probably shouldn't include the Lockheed Martin Information Systems
& Global Services banner in the distribution

Do continue playing, and I'll try and add more opensocial apps and
testing.

Regards,
Waylon.