Can't get newsgroups

Foxy at Work

Nov 18, 2010, 8:30:45 AM11/18/10
I downloaded eternal-september weeks ago but cannot get all NG's just this
one. I keep trying to update NG's but no more download? I was told I would
get a password or something but nothing has arrived. Can anyone point me in
the right direction please

Jenny

LouB

Nov 18, 2010, 9:12:22 AM11/18/10

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Nov 18, 2010, 9:16:40 AM11/18/10
Foxy at Work wrote:

> I downloaded eternal-september weeks ago

You don't "download" a news service. You "sign up" and set up your
newsreader according to their instructions.

> but cannot get all NG's just this one. I keep trying to update NG's
> but no more download? I was told I would get a password or something
> but nothing has arrived. Can anyone point me in the right direction
> please

Did you sign up with a valid email address? Did you get a response to
that address with your *password*? You will need it to get beyond this
basic group.

http://eternal-september.org/signon.php

--
-bts

Clif McIrvin

Nov 18, 2010, 9:48:05 AM11/18/10
"LouB" <L...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

You did give them a valid email address? Your spam filters could have
dumped that password email, too.

--
Clif McIrvin

(clare reads his mail with moe, nomail feeds the bit bucket :-)

valtih1978

Apr 23, 2011, 8:33:38 AM4/23/11
I couln't use the eternal-september.support in Win. Windows 7 does not
have any neswgroups client built-it. I have installed Mozilla
Thunderbird. It does not ask me for password or cretential fails when
asks. I have immediately got access to the newsgroups, just looked at
the Linux (running in a virtual machine).

It is a breeze. Linux comes with a KNODE newsgroup client installed. It
is more intuitive and asked me for the password and password succeeded
and newsgroups appeared immediately.

Paul

Apr 23, 2011, 1:08:51 PM4/23/11
valtih1978 wrote:
> I couln't use the eternal-september.support in Win. Windows 7 does not
> have any neswgroups client built-it. I have installed Mozilla
> Thunderbird. It does not ask me for password or cretential fails when
> asks. I have immediately got access to the newsgroups, just looked at
> the Linux (running in a virtual machine).
>
> It is a breeze. Linux comes with a KNODE newsgroup client installed. It
> is more intuitive and asked me for the password and password succeeded
> and newsgroups appeared immediately.

Eternal-September provides two responses, depending on what you do on
your end.

If you install Thunderbird, and don't click "Always Request Authentication",
then when you look at the groups list for Eternal-September, it will only
contain a handful of groups. That was done by the administrator of E-S,
to allow people to post to groups like "eternal-september.support" so
they could ask for help.

If you obtain a username and password from E-S, and then go into
Thunderbird and click the "Always Request Authentication" tick box,
then enter Username and Password when prompted, then you'll see
thousands of news groups in the groups list.

So there is a difference, between using E-S with an account, versus
using it without an account. The length of the groups list should
tell you which you have done.

Thunderbird typically stores the downloaded newsgroup list in
hostinfo.dat , and you might look for that on your Linux machine,
and open it in a text editor. If the file has thousands of lines,
then you've succeeded in making an authenticated connection to E-S.
There should be one hostinfo.dat file, for each news server setup
you've created.

Paul