[erlang-questions] Erlang/OTP on Vista 64bit

Illo de' Illis

Jul 2, 2009, 4:13:33 PM7/2/09
to Erlang List
G'dday folks.

Is there anyone who's aware of glitches or bugs of Erlang/OTP on a
Vista/64bit platform? I'm particulary interested in RabbitMQ, but I'd
like to know whether having a stable Erlang/OTP generic application on
Vista/64bit is dream or reality.

Thank you very much.

Ciao,
Illo.

erlang-questions (at) erlang.org

Mikael Pettersson

Jul 2, 2009, 6:23:20 PM7/2/09
to Illo de' Illis, Erlang List
Illo de' Illis writes:
> G'dday folks.
>
> Is there anyone who's aware of glitches or bugs of Erlang/OTP on a
> Vista/64bit platform? I'm particulary interested in RabbitMQ, but I'd
> like to know whether having a stable Erlang/OTP generic application on
> Vista/64bit is dream or reality.

A 32-bit Windows version should work fine running in Wow64 mode.

A native 64-bit Windows version of Erlang/OTP was not possible
last time I checked (late last year). The problem is Microsoft's
decision to make the C 'long' type 32 bits although pointers are
64 bits. Fixing this is easy in principle (use uintptr_t), but
requires a lot of tedious work and rigorous testing, so I suspect
it will take a while before that happens.

Perhaps run a 64-bit Linux/Unix version in a VMM on Vista/x64 instead?