Issue 89 in ergoemacs: Wrong filename: Tabbar.el

ergo...@googlecode.com

Nov 23, 2010, 6:30:50 AM11/23/10
to ergo...@googlegroups.com
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 89 by bohuslav.krivosik: Wrong filename: Tabbar.el
http://code.google.com/p/ergoemacs/issues/detail?id=89

Emacs version: 23.2.1
Ergoemacs version: 1.9.1.
OS: Linux Ubuntu

Install ergoemacs. Run emacs.
Emacs will start with following error message:

"File error: Cannot open load file, tabbar"

How to fix this bug:
Rename file "packages/Tabbar.el" to "packages/tabbar.el" (linux is
case-sensitive)

Is there same problem for file Twit.el ?

Xah Lee

Dec 1, 2010, 5:21:35 AM12/1/10
to ErgoEmacs
Thanks bohuslav.krivosik.

does anyone know if svn can properly rename the same file with just
letter case difference?

i cluelessly tried a combination of
svn rm Tabbar.el
svn add tabbar.el
svn commit tabbar.el
svn rename Tabbar.el tabbar.el

in random order over the past few days...

the repository shown on Google site
http://code.google.com/p/ergoemacs/source/browse/#svn/trunk/packages
seems to still have cap letter version.

i think i can solve one way or another by some brute force, but wonder
if svn is capable of renaming file just for letter case changes.

(same issue for twit.el)

-------------------------

a separate issue/question, is whether emacs packages should have cap
letters. From my experience, the answer is no by convention. If that
is correct, this means we also need to change the comment in the
package's header so that the file name is lower case.

e.g. the first line in twit.el content is this
;;; Twit.el --- interface with twitter.com
it should be lower case too.

Xah

On Nov 23, 3:30 am, ergoem...@googlecode.com wrote:
> Owner: ----
> Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium
>
> New issue 89 by bohuslav.krivosik: Wrong filename: Tabbar.elhttp://code.google.com/p/ergoemacs/issues/detail?id=89

Xah Lee

Dec 1, 2010, 5:40:44 AM12/1/10
to ErgoEmacs
a quick web search indicates that renaming files with only letter case
changes on Windows client is a known issue.

See:
http://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-rename.html
http://tortoisesvn.net/node/285
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1225993/svn-rename-problem

the solution seems require editing the repository data, quote:

“Rename the file from UPPERcase to upperCASE directly in the
repository using the repository browser. ”

anyone know how that's done?

Xah

On Dec 1, 2:21 am, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks bohuslav.krivosik.
>
> does anyone know if svn can properly rename the same file with just
> letter case difference?
>
> i cluelessly tried a combination of
> svn rm Tabbar.el
> svn add tabbar.el
> svn commit tabbar.el
> svn rename Tabbar.el tabbar.el
>
> in random order over the past few days...
>
> the repository shown on Google sitehttp://code.google.com/p/ergoemacs/source/browse/#svn/trunk/packages

ergo...@googlecode.com

Dec 1, 2010, 5:32:47 PM12/1/10
to ergo...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #1 on issue 89 by xahlee: Wrong filename: Tabbar.el
http://code.google.com/p/ergoemacs/issues/detail?id=89

Thanks. fixed in r574.