Publishing solutions

James Abley

Dec 25, 2008, 5:17:36 PM12/25/08
to EOPL3
Hi,

I've bought EOPL3 and am finally getting around to working my way
through it, as an exercise to learn Scheme and more about languages in
general. I was intending to keep any code that I write in a public
repository, but given that some academic institutions teach courses
based on the book, would making any solutions (regardless of the
quality!) available in that fashion be frowned upon?

Cheers,

James

James Abley

Dec 29, 2008, 11:41:32 AM12/29/08
to EOPL3
2008/12/25 James Abley <james...@gmail.com>:
Just pointing out a related series, which got me thinking on the best
way to go through books like this with a view to learning.

http://eli.thegreenplace.net/category/programming/lisp/sicp/

Cheers,

James

Mitchell Wand

Dec 29, 2008, 11:47:18 AM12/29/08
to eo...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

Thanks for the note.  In answer to your original question, I think instructors of courses based on eopl3 would be unhappy if answers to the exercises were posted.  It's hard enough to deal with plagiarism without canned solutions being publicly available.

[Sorry if this is a repeat; I thought I had responded before, but I can't seem to find my response in my mail files.]

--Mitchell

James Abley

Dec 30, 2008, 5:02:03 PM12/30/08
to eo...@googlegroups.com
2008/12/29 Mitchell Wand <wa...@ccs.neu.edu>:

> Hi James,
>
> Thanks for the note. In answer to your original question, I think
> instructors of courses based on eopl3 would be unhappy if answers to the
> exercises were posted. It's hard enough to deal with plagiarism without
> canned solutions being publicly available.
>
> [Sorry if this is a repeat; I thought I had responded before, but I can't
> seem to find my response in my mail files.]
>
> --Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

No problem. Glad I checked first, and looking forward to working
through more of the book.

Cheers,

James