*[Enwl-eng] Breaking: green recovery at risk!

ENWLine

May 22, 2020, 11:17:34 AM5/22/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Our green transition is at risk, under pressure from powerful polluting lobbies. We have 48 hours before the proposal for a recovery plan from the European Commission is finalised: if the Commission falls for the pressure, the ‘green’ could be removed from the ‘recovery’.

Hi,

It’s happening right now. A colleague from Brussels reached out yesterday: Ursula von der Leyen is giving in to pressure from big polluting corporates.

Alfred knows well the labyrinths and corridors of power in the maze of the European Commission. [1] It took him a couple of calls and email exchanges to understand what’s at risk: a transition to a fair and green economy in Europe.

As the coronavirus crisis unfolds, there’s one glimpse of hope for radical change so that our economy works for people, and not for the richest and most powerful. One that doesn’t destroy the Earth. Our hopes to get our continent out of recession lie in the recovery plan being negotiated right now. It is the biggest investment plan the world has ever seen.

If polluting industries get their way, our efforts to make the recovery plan an opportunity for a transition to clean jobs, fair wages and a less polluted Europe could be dead before given a chance. They want the ‘green’ to disappear from the ‘recovery’ and make the plan work for … well, their pockets.

The President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, wants to be seen as the European politician able to listen to all parts: but she hasn’t listened to citizens - yet. Send her a tweet she can’t miss and ask her not to give in to pressure from dirty industries!

TWEET now!

The Coronavirus crisis could be a wake up call, showing the importance of people and planet in our laws and policies. Together we can stop our politicians from going back to business as usual.

In hope,

Virginia (Madrid) and the WeMove Europe team

[1] Alfred is not his real name, which is not disclosed for identity protection. He holds a top senior position in one of the most reputable Brussels based NGOs, and has years of experience in navigating the corridors of the European Commission, Parliament and Council.

Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2020 4:26 PM
Subject: Breaking: green recovery at risk!