*[Enwl-eng] Don’t let our voices fall silent

enwl

Oct 2, 2022, 1:07:50 PM10/2/22
to "ENWL-uni"
Dear friends, My name is Gregorio, a leader of over 500 Indigenous communities in the Amazon Rainforest. But today I write as a friend.Our mother, the Amazon, is being eaten alive. Brazil's President Bolsonaro is leading an army of loggers and miners, gorging on nature's destruction. Without urgent action, the rainforest could die. But there's hope.   In weeks, world leaders will meet for final negotiations on a new global treaty to save nature. We cannot allow Bolsonaro to be the voice of the Amazon at these critical negotiations as ours are silenced and our people murdered. Our children would never forgive us -- so I need your help.With your support, a courageous delegation of Indigenous leaders could travel from the last refuges of the natural world to the very heart of decision-making. Our people have protected and respected nature for over 10,000 years -- we have much to share with the world, so it’s critical we have a seat at the table as the fate of the planet is decided.We'd meet world-leaders face to face, confronting the lies, and helping to write bold international laws for a treaty that can truly protect life on Earth. I promise you: we won't stop pushing.Friends of the world, this is a chance to stand with us in our fight to protect life on our fragile planet. Donate now to power our fight for survival:
Take Action Now!
[...]

I'LL DONATE €3
I'LL DONATE €5
I'LL DONATE €9
I'LL DONATE €17
I'LL DONATE €33
OTHER AMOUNT
While so much of our planet has been scraped and emptied, 91% of Indigenous lands are still healthy -- that's why loggers and miners are targeting them today.

Where we see beauty and life, Bolsonaro and like-minded leaders only see resources to be extracted and sold. They are jeopardising the urgent global treaties we need to protect our home, and I can see that time is running out.

And so, across the planet, a bold delegation of Indigenous leaders is rising. Backed by a team of Avaaz campaigners and media experts, we plan to flood two global summits -- pushing for a real global treaty to save nature, and accelerating Avaaz campaigns to protect the planet.

The Avaaz movement has empowered Indigenous communities for years. Now we need your help again: we simply don't have the resources on our own. Help us fight for the Amazon and all life on Earth -- donate what you can now:
I'LL DONATE €3
I'LL DONATE €5
I'LL DONATE €9
I'LL DONATE €17
I'LL DONATE €33
OTHER AMOUNT
Like our planet, humanity is fragile. We depend on nature for the air, water, and food we need to survive. Yet now the great tree of life is being hacked to pieces, endangering all life on Earth, and our own existence. But this destruction should only deepen our resolve to fight with everything we have. I firmly believe we can stop the destruction and live in harmony -- but it'll take every single one of us. This is the ultimate fight for our lives, our mother, and everything we love. Join us.

From my heart to yours,

José Gregorio Díaz Mirabal, leader of Wakuenai Kurripaco Indigenous People, and General Coordinator of Indigenous Organizations of the Amazon Basin (COICA)

PS. This might be your first donation to our movement ever. But what a first donation! Did you know that Avaaz relies entirely on small donations from members like you? That's why we're fully independent, nimble and effective. Join the over 1 million people who've donated to make Avaaz a real force for good in the world.

Avaaz is a 70-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500