*[Enwl-eng] Let’s buy a tropical forest

ENWLine

Apr 26, 2021, 11:45:23 AM4/26/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Logging has all but destroyed the home of the world’s last 7000 cotton-top tamarin monkeys. But if 5000 of us chip in in the next 24 hours, we can literally buy the Colombian forest where they live, permanently protect it, and give our little primate cousin a chance to thrive.

Let’s buy a forest -- can you help?

A baby cotton-top tamarin looking at the camera.

If you’ve saved your payment information with SumOfUs, your donation will go through immediately:

Donate $3 nowDonate another amount

How cool is this -- this week we can buy 110-acres of threatened Colombian tropical forest and give a fighting chance to critically endangered turtles and monkeys!

Thanks to the rampant destruction of their forest home, there’s less than 7000 of the charismatic cotton-top tamarins left in the wild -- and deforestation is picking up speed.

But our partner Rainforest Trust is on the cusp of purchasing and protecting -- forever! -- a critical piece of land that will give these monkeys the space they need to recover and thrive.

If 5000 of us chip in the cost of a cup of coffee in the next 24 hours, Rainforest Trust can secure the land immediately, and get started on their work protecting the forest. Can you help save these cotton-top tamarins?

If you’ve saved your payment information with SumOfUs, your donation will go through immediately:

Donate $3 nowDonate another amount

The northern tropical forests of Colombia are deeply endangered due to farm expansion and other development. Cotton-top Tamarins are among the most impacted species -- this is the only place on the planet they are found, and they’ve seen a population decline of 80% in just two decades.

It isn’t only the cotton-tops (although they are very cute). The area is home to spider and howler monkeys, scarlet macaws...and a critically endangered turtle species (the Dahl’s Toad-headed Turtle). If we can buy this land it would become one of the only protected areas in the world where the turtle lives.

A local organization called Fundación Proyecto Tití is working on protecting the whole area. They already blocked the creation of a clear-cutting cattle ranch, and now they’re working with Rainforest Trust to secure even more land. Vladimir, this land that we can buy today is small, but it’s critical to the whole project -- it will give all these species safe passage between protected areas.

It’s not often you get the chance to buy a piece of tropical forest. Will you be one of the 5000 donors we need to buy this land in the next 24 hours? Every extra penny we raise will be used to protect wild places like this from corporations bent on their destruction.

If you’ve saved your payment information with SumOfUs, your donation will go through immediately:

Donate $3 nowDonate another amount

Thanks for all that you do,
Danny and the SumOfUs team

More information:

Protect Cotton-top Tamarins, Rainforest Trust, April 21, 2021

Deforestation in Colombian protected areas increased during post-conflict periods, Scientific Reports, 18 March 2020

SumOfUs is a worldwide movement of people like you, working together to hold corporations accountable for their actions and forge a new, sustainable path for our global economy.

Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2021 4:16 PM
Subject: Let’s buy a tropical forest