*[Enwl-eng] Stop walking all over Our Other Mother!

1 view

ENWLine

Mar 26, 2022, 11:52:24 AM3/26/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Mother Earth deserves much much better from Bruce Carnegie-Brown and the Lloyd’s of London leadership.

Under Bruce’s watch as its Chairman, Lloyd's of London continues to insure some of the world's dirtiest fossil fuel projects, from Putin’s deadly arctic gas exploration, to oil and tar sands pipelines through the heart of Indigenous territories in East Africa and Canada. These projects are turbocharging the climate crisis and destroying Our Other Mother, Planet Earth.

That’s why this UK Mother’s Day, a group of determined mothers, from our friends at Mothers Rise Up and Parents For Future UK, is taking the climate fight directly to Bruce’s office in Lloyd's headquarters in London.

Yesterday, they handed over a collection of powerful and heartfelt illustrated Mother’s Day cards, calling on Carnegie-Brown and the Lloyd’s leadership to stop hurting Our Mother Earth – and now they need your support to spread their message!

can you support the mothers on this UK Mother’s Day action on social media by sharing their powerful illustrations and by demanding Lloyd’s drop its disastrous insurance of fossil fuels.

SEND YOUR TWEET

 Art illustration of Mother Crying by artist Anita Bagdi

Art @bagdianita

Insurance is a vital but often overlooked enabler of the fossil fuel industry - without insurance, fossil fuel projects simply can’t go ahead. And Lloyd’s of London insures 40% of the global energy market, including often the worst projects that are causing unprecedented damage to our planet.

send a tweet to Bruce Carnegie-Brown and urge him to stop fuelling irreversible damages to our Mother Earth.

Many of Lloyd’s European counterparts don’t even touch these projects because of their colossal damages: fueling wars, destroying the livelihoods of vulnerable families around the world and sucking the futures away from our children. Companies like Swiss Re and Hannover Re have recently committed to stopping insuring most new oil and gas projects, showing change is possible.

Meanwhile, Bruce Carnegie-Brown and the Lloyd’s leadership have refused to rule out insuring the huge Adani coal mine in Australia, the Trans Mountain Pipeline in Canada, the proposed mega oil pipeline in Uganda and Tanzania. More recently, Lloyd’s has refused to rule out insuring oil and gas projects in Russia, even though Putin’s war on Ukraine is largely funded by its oil and gas exports. Our children and planet deserve better!

The parents are asking Carnegie-Brown, himself a father of four, to use his power to stop Lloyd’s from insuring planet wrecking fossil fuels projects, and do what is right by all children. Insure our kids’ future instead!

support this powerful group of mothers by directly sharing their heartfelt appeal for the mother of us all, the Earth.

SEND YOUR TWEET

Cartoon of man walking over the Earth

Art: @imgart

If you don't don’t have Twitter, no big deal! You can still support the action on Facebook by going onto Lloyd's of London's page and writing the comment below under their latest post.

POST ON FACEBOOK

Facebook Post

This #MothersDay, we are calling on Lloyd's of London to STOP hurting #OurOtherMother, Planet Earth.

Lloyd's of London insures around 40% of the global energy market, including projects that many of its European counterparts won’t touch because of their colossal climate impacts. Lloyd’s has refused to rule out insuring the huge Adani coal mine in Australia, the Trans Mountain Pipeline in Canada and the proposed EACOP mega oil pipeline in Uganda and Tanzania.

We are calling on Lloyd’s and their chair Bruce Carnegie-Brown to make this Mother’s Day extra special by STOPPING their insurance of deadly fossil fuels.

#InsureOurFuture #PeopleNotProfit

 SEND YOUR TWEET

Thanks for all that you do,
Leyla, Charles and the team at SumOfUs

Post-Meeting Press Release: Lloyd’s Failure To Implement ESG Policy Is Driven By Its CEO John Neal
Insure Our Future, 16 February, 2022

Finance sector has moral imperative to exclude Russian fossil fuel firms
Insure Our Future, 10 March, 2022

London Matters Data 2020
London Market Group, Jan 2022

Petition: Lloyd's of London: don't insure the leaky Trans Mountain Pipeline
SumOfUs, 16 July 2020

Petition: Lloyd's of London: Stop Insuring Oil Drilling in Paradise!
SumOfUs, 27 January 2021

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2022 1:12 PM
Subject: Stop walking all over Our Other Mother!