*[Enwl-eng] Facebook "knew"

ENWLine

Oct 27, 2021, 8:44:13 PM10/27/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear friends, A brave whistleblower just leaked secret Facebook documents... and they're shocking!They show that Facebook knew. It knew that human traffickers used their platform to lure women into sexual slavery. It knew that it was being used to incite violence against minorities, which had already fueled death and displacement in the past. It knew that divisive lies and extremism were being promoted to millions all over the world. And it knew its systems were removing less than 1% of violent content.Facebook knew all this. And yet, the whistleblower said, it has put “profits before people”.That has to change -- and now's our chance to make it happen. With in-depth investigations and bombshell media reports, Avaaz has helped force Facebook's shame onto the agenda of legislators across the world.Now we're in the room with lawmakers from Europe to Brazil, fighting tooth and nail to win laws that protect people and democracy from social media's corrosive impact.But we're up against some of the biggest companies in the world, unleashing their lobbying firepower to fight strong regulation. Last year alone Big Tech spent more than 100 million dollars on lobbying!We can still win. If we raise enough now, we can fund more bombshell research, bring social media survivors to decision makers across the world, and show up at every key decision with hard-hitting ads and stunts demanding action.This is some of our most important work, but it's also some of our least funded. We can't afford to stop now -- this is our big chance! Chip in now, and let's tame the social media beast for good!
Take Action Now!
[...]

I'LL DONATE €2
I'LL DONATE €4
I'LL DONATE €7
I'LL DONATE €14
I'LL DONATE €28
OTHER AMOUNT
We've seen, time and again, what devastating real-world consequences social media can have. In Myanmar, the military turned Facebook into a tool for ethnic cleansing, spreading hatred that fueled a bloodbath. In Palestine and Israel, viral lies are further inflaming the conflict. And all over the world, it's become a Covid-conspiracy hotbed, with doctors warning against an 'infodemic' of fake news.

To win legislation that can protect us all, we have to bring these harms into the light, and before governments, as they decide on regulation. If we raise enough, we can:
  • Run and publish more hard-hitting investigative reports that show the massive harm caused by these platforms on our societies;
  • Bring together a powerful movement of survivors and communities fighting against online hate and misinformation and take their voices to the corridors of power;
  • Unleash unprecedented advocacy in the EU Parliament, as well as the US and Brazilian Congress, ensuring they don't give in to tech pressure;
  • Deliver powerful stunts and ads at key moments to help win the regulation we need.
Chip in now, and let's face down this attack on democracy and humanity together:
I'LL DONATE €2
I'LL DONATE €4
I'LL DONATE €7
I'LL DONATE €14
I'LL DONATE €28
OTHER AMOUNT
Avaaz has played a leading role in this fight for years. Our bombshell reports have made front page news time and again, and already pressured platforms to act. But we can't rely on the good will of Big Tech titans. We need laws. And we need them now. Let's make it happen, together.

With hope and determination,

Anneke, Marigona, Mike, Bert, Mo, Christoph, Camille and the entire Avaaz team

PS. This might be your first donation to our movement ever. But what a first donation! Did you know that Avaaz relies entirely on small donations from members like you? That's why we're fully independent, nimble and effective. Join the over 1 million people who've donated to make Avaaz a real force for good in the world.

Avaaz is a 65-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2013-08-06.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500