*[Enwl] OSCE Summit 2025 (Baltic Sea area)

ENWLine

Jun 25, 2021, 12:07:37 PM6/25/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear peace friends in the Baltic Sea area
Some news about our call for a new OSCE summit 2025:
- the letter has been published on many websites, been mentioned in letters to the editor in some newspapers and has received praise from both organizations and individuals. Especially in Germany, it has attracted widespread support.
- The White House also announced that it had received the letter and "promised to return to the matter".
- Below is the response (+ translation) from the German Foreign Ministry referring to the civil society debate (zivilgesellschaftliche Diskussion).
- In order to push this civil society debate we have contacted the Finnish foreign minister, Pekka Haavisto, sincerely hoping that the Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs will take the initiative in this matter, involving already at this stage non-governmental organizations from all over the Baltic Sea region in the debate.

- I will personally take up this matter at a Peace Festival in Simrishamn (Sweden) in August and in Oslo at a Nordic-Russian Peace seminar in November.
Hoping for a further fruitful cooperation for peace and sustainable development!

Ulla Klötzer, Women for Peace - Finland

Message from the German Foreign Ministry:translation - original message below
Am 18.06.21, 10:16 schrieb "203-0 Friedeburg, Charlotte" <
20...@auswaertiges-amt.de>:

Dear Mr. Lentz,
thank you very much for your letter to Federal Minister Maas. We are of course aware of the Finnish President's initiative.
In the OSCE and among participating States, there are currently several threads of discussion about how the OSCE should be set up for the 50th anniversary of the Helsinki Final Act. In the Federal Foreign Office, too, we are considering suitable approaches to strengthening the OSCE and its ability to act. We are following the civil society discussion about this process with interest, so thank you again for your letter!
With best regards,
Charlotte von Friedeburg
Deputy Head of Unit 203 (OSCE)

Ministry of Foreign Affairs