*[Enwl-eng] Total madness

1 view

ENWLine

Sep 2, 2020, 11:43:54 AM9/2/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Oil giant Total is about to build a massive pipeline right through the heart of Africa -- ripping through critical wildlife reserves, displacing tens of thousands of families and further pushing the world to the brink of climate chaos. Let’s call out Total’s CEO and turn this into a PR nightmare he can’t ignore -- add your name and stand with the communities fighting back!

Oil giant Total is about to build a massive pipeline right through the heart of Africa -- ripping through critical wildlife reserves, displacing tens of thousands of families and further pushing the world to the brink of climate chaos. Let’s call out Total’s CEO and turn this into a PR nightmare he can’t ignore -- add your name and stand with the communities fighting back!
SIGN NOW
Dear friends,

Oil giant Total is about to build the biggest heated oil pipeline in the world -- right through the heart of Africa!

It will rip through some of the most important elephant, lion and chimpanzee reserves on Earth, displace tens of thousands of families, and tip the whole planet closer to full-blown climate catastrophe.

Local communities are doing all they can to fight the project, but they’re up against one of the most powerful companies on Earth, and they need help to turn this into a Standing Rock in Africa. Our movement can be that help!

Even as he plans this pipeline, Total's French CEO is trying to paint his company as a climate leader. Let’s hold him to account with a massive petition -- when it's huge we’ll deliver our voices with unmissable ads in France and turn this into a PR nightmare for Total. Add your name to stand with the brave communities fighting this -- before it’s too late!

Add your name now!

Make no mistake -- this project is massive. It would cross more than 200 rivers and 12 protected forests, home to an abundance of beautiful wildlife already clinging onto survival. Just one leak could be a catastrophe.

It’s not going to be easy to stop, but Avaaz has a plan -- making sure everyone knows Total is behind the pipeline, running ads and op-eds ahead of a historic legal case in France, partnering with grassroots and global organisations, and joining high level advocacy efforts to get influential political and business voices to speak out.

The pipeline shareholders argue it will bring jobs, yet experts say it might be just 300 permanently -- not to mention the environmental damage and massive displacement of local farmers it threatens to bring. This will also lock the region into a dirty energy trap, at a time when the world is gearing up for a clean energy future.

This fight is about more than stopping a reckless investment, or even just protecting Africa's wildlife. We can’t afford to keep pumping oil -- this is everyone’s battle, protecting precious life on this planet, defending the most vulnerable, and putting our kids’ future above the interests of a wealthy few. Sign the petition and share with everyone you know:

Add your name now!

The fight against climate chaos is part of our movement’s DNA. We put millions on the streets, and ran fierce media and advocacy campaigns until we helped win the Paris deal. But we’ve also taken on corporate giants like Monsanto, and won. Now let’s go all out to stop Total’s insane project before it's too late.

With hope and determination,

Martyna, Pascal, Alice, Bert, Aloys, Luis, and the rest of the Avaaz team

More information:

A Major Oil Pipeline Project Strikes Deep at the Heart of Africa (Yale Environment 360)
https://e360.yale.edu/features/a-major-oil-pipeline-project-strikes-deep-at-the-heart-of-africa

Civil society concerned over oil pipeline (The Independent)
https://www.independent.co.ug/civil-society-concerned-over-oil-pipeline/

Serious breaches of the duty of vigilance law: The case of Total in Uganda (Business & Human Rights)
https://www.business-humanrights.org/en/latest-news/serious-breaches-of-the-duty-of-vigilance-law-the-case-of-total-in-uganda/

Ugandan farmers take on French oil giant in game changer case for multinationals (PRI)
https://www.pri.org/stories/2020-01-10/ugandan-farmers-take-french-oil-giant-game-changer-case-multinationals

Safeguarding people & nature in the East Africa crude oil pipeline project (WWF)
https://www.wwf.no/assets/attachments/99-safeguarding_nature_and_people___oil_and_gas_pipeline_factsheet.pdf

Total, see you in court! (Friends of the Earth)
www.totalincourt.org

Avaaz is a 60-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2013-08-06 .

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at https://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).

Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 9:11 AM
Subject: Total madness