*[Enwl-eng] Urgent call from Uganda

ENWLine

May 28, 2021, 8:37:47 PM5/28/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear friends, As we write this, the French oil giant Total is getting ready to construct the biggest heated oil pipeline in the world!The East African Crude Oil Pipeline in Uganda and Tanzania will displace 12.000 families, endanger protected wildlife and push the world closer to full-blown climate catastrophe.Those on the frontlines opposing this insane project are mobilizing today to speak up. But with recent threats and arrests, they are not safe if they do this alone – they need our help! Total’s annual shareholder meeting is happening right now. Let’s stand with Ugandans and make sure their call resonates the loudest today when investors meet:
Retweet
Dear friends,
As we write this, the French oil giant Total is getting ready to construct the biggest heated oil pipeline in the world!

The East African Crude Oil Pipeline in Uganda and Tanzania will displace 12.000 families, endanger protected wildlife and push the world closer to full-blown climate catastrophe.

Those on the frontlines opposing this insane project are mobilizing today to speak up. But with recent threats and arrests, they are not safe if they do this alone – they need our help!

Total’s annual shareholder meeting is happening right now. Let’s stand with Ugandans and make sure their call resonates the loudest today when investors meet:
Make no mistake -- this project is massive. It would cross more than 200 rivers and 12 protected forests, home to an abundance of beautiful wildlife already clinging onto survival. Just one leak could be a catastrophe.

But the pipeline still can be stopped. More and more banks are publicly announcing that they will not finance it, and just days ago the world’s most powerful energy agency said NO new oil, coal and gas projects should be developed if we want to keep our world safe for future generations.

Total’s CEO Patric Pouyanné wants to convince the world his company is shifting to renewables. But this can be true only if he stops EACOP! So let’s make sure the call to stop this massive pipeline is the loudest voice, when the shareholders debate:

Retweet

The fight against climate chaos is part of our movement’s DNA. We put millions on the streets, and ran fierce media and advocacy campaigns until we helped secure the Paris Agreement. But we’ve also taken on corporate giants like Monsanto, and won. Now let’s go all out to stop Total’s insane project before it's too late.

With hope and determination,

Martyna, Patricia, Mélanie, Fey, Pascal and the whole Avaaz team

More information:
Avaaz is a 65-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2013-08-06

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500