*[Enwl-eng] Our rights at risk

1 view

ENWLine

Aug 19, 2021, 8:03:58 AM8/19/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Facebook. Apple. Google. Their power is unprecedented. Their regulation is minimal. It's time to end this.

This fall, the EU is passing a key legislation that will finally rein in Big Tech -- but the companies are spending tens of millions to water it down. We need to fight back. A powerful People's Declaration will stand as the first line of defence against the harms of Big Tech --  YOUR voice needs to be there! It is time these companies are forced by law to stop putting profit above people:

 Sign the People's Declaration

Amazon. Facebook. Apple. Google. Their power is unprecedented. But their regulation is minimal. It's time to end this.

This fall, the European Union is passing key legislation (Digital Services Act) that can finally rein them in -- but these powerful companies are spending millions to drastically water it down. We, the people, need to fight back.

Our movement will be at the heart of Brussels to fight for OUR rights during the votes -- YOUR voice needs to be there!

A powerful People's Declaration, already signed by over 40 organisations representing 25 million people across Europe, will stand as the first line of defence against the harms of Big Tech.

Add your voice to the People's Declaration -- we'll deliver our voices directly to the EU Parliament:

Yes, I want to sign The People's Declaration

The Declaration stands as a first line of defence against the harms of Big Tech at the heart of Europe. It represents us, our voices, our fight for a better future!

We've drowned in disinformation about COVID. We had our data stolen and leaked. We had our kids die for stupid social media challenges, get addicted to online games and be harassed by pedophiles. We were targeted with Ads saying climate change is a hoax. We had bots amplifying lies. Data scandals defined our elections.

And all they did was make billions of profit. Enough.

Here's a stab of our main demands:

  1. Turn off the manipulation machine - Big Tech’s toxic recommender systems and algorithms are amplifying hate speech and disinformation - weaponizing every societal fault line with relentless surveillance to maximise “engagement”. It is time for these platforms to de-risk their design, detox their algorithms, give users real control over them and be held to account for failing to do so.
  2. Stop surveillance for profit - We’ve been conned into giving “consent” for surveillance. We were never given a meaningful choice. We demand transparency on all aspects of online ads and enforcement of our data rights to make them a reality.
  3. Put people back in charge - Big Tech cannot continue to call the shots as judge and jury. The DSA must create stronger powers for regulators to hold Big Tech to account, including through robust audit powers that cannot simply be gamed by the companies.

These companies are spending over 20Million to lobby and influence the EU parliament to drastically water down the Digital Services Act (DSA) so they ensure that no rules, except maximize profit, apply to them!

Add your name --  it is time to rein in BigTech once and for all. Let's make sure our voices are heard:

Yes, I want to sign The People's Declaration

Is time to take back control of our data, make billionaires accountable for their decisions and show Big Tech that their money can't and won't buy us. You can read the full Declaration in English, French and German. Join the revolution. The time has come.

 Sign the People's Declaration

Thanks for all that you do,
Flora and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

Understanding Europe’s big push to rewrite the digital rulebook - TechCrunch, December 30th, 2020

Big Tech Lobbying Google, Amazon & friends and their hidden influence - CeO, September 23rd, 2020

Facebook Is Helping Militias Spread Vaccine Disinformation and Calling Them ‘Experts’ - VICE, August 17th, 2021

Big tech accused of avoiding $2.8bn in tax to poorest countries - The Guardian, October 28th, 2020

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2021 1:54 PM
Subject: Our rights at risk