*[Enwl-eng] Biden must make trains safer again, after the Ohio disaster

enwl

Mar 1, 2023, 11:56:24 AM3/1/23
to "ENWL-uni"

They lobbied Trump. So U.S. train safety decreased.

Care2 Petitions Logo
Workers stand in a field of toxic mud, surveying the remains of derailed train cars.

Tell the Biden administration to restore the vital train safety rules that Trump killed!

The U.S. has incredibly subpar railway regulations. As a result, we experience approximately 1,500 train derailments per year! The situation has needed help for a while, but it's been brought into sharp focus by the disastrous and toxic train derailment in East Palestine, Ohio this month.

Unsurprisingly, we have Donald Trump to thank for some of that. Tell President Joe Biden and his administration to pass new train safety rules! We must make sure this never happens again!

U.S. rules used to require trains carrying hazardous flammable materials to be fitted with Electronically Controlled Pneumatic (ECP) brakes, which help trains stop much faster.

But the rail company Norfolk Southern and its greedy peers spent millions of dollars lobbying the Trump administration to roll back these rules. And they were successful.

Thanks to the company's lobbying efforts, the train that derailed in Ohio wasn't even classified as a high-hazard flammable train! That meant it would not be required to install the ECP brakes.

It's time for the Biden administration to make sure a disaster like this never happens again. Sign the petition to tell the Biden administration it must restore the train safety rules that Trump killed!

Photo of white woman with short brown hair

Thank you,

Miranda

Care2 Petitions Team

P.S. Norfolk Southern has spent the past ten years cutting jobs and neglecting its trains' safety, despite earning wild profits — $12.6 billion last year alone. Sign the petition.

Care2.com, Inc.
3141 Stevens Creek Blvd. #40394
San Jose, CA 95117
https://www.care2.com