*[Enwl-eng] Even the millionaires get it

1 view

ENWLine

Jul 19, 2020, 12:38:43 PM7/19/20
to "ENWL-uni"

It’s time to tax the wealthy and big corporations to fund our corona recovery. Join WeMove members all over Europe to ensure our politicians hear this message.

Hi,

The last few months haven’t been short on shocks and surprises. But now, here’s another one: some of the world’s richest people have banded together to tell governments they want to pay more tax [1]. They know that raising taxes for the wealthy is an essential part of recovering from the coronavirus crisis.

Their timing couldn’t be better. Starting today, European leaders are ramping up discussions on the plans for the coronavirus recovery package. We have just a few days to convince them that taxing the richest people and corporations should be part of the plan.

Politicians don’t always like raising taxes, especially for big business. It’s vital they understand that European citizens know that - for once - the millionaires are right: raising taxes has to be part of the corona recovery. Then our leaders will understand they have public support to go ahead and do the right thing.

Join WeMove members all over Europe to make sure our politicians hear our message: it’s time to tax the wealthy and big corporations to fund our corona recovery.

Higher taxes on the wealthy to pay for corona recovery, sign now!

We’ve all been hurt in one way or another from the coronavirus crisis: we miss being with our loved ones, some of us have been bereaved, and all of us are facing economic uncertainty. But none of those burdens are borne equally and, too often, it’s the people who are already facing poverty or hardship who pay the highest price.

Big businesses often pay less tax than the rest of us. They recruit clever accountants to help them keep their tax bills low. But now, some of the wealthiest people have stepped forward to say that from now on, it’s vital that the richest pay their fair share of the cost of recovery.

There are already leaders in Europe who agree. Charles Michel, the European Council President said he wants to tax big corporations to fund the recovery. [2] But he needs EU countries to agree and he can only achieve this with public support.

Can you take two minutes to sign the petition and help make sure taxes on big business and the wealthy fund our coronavirus recovery?

Big corporations should pay higher taxes for corona recovery, sign now!

We know that people power can help close the gap between the world’s richest and poorest. In the 1990’s, it was a people-powered campaign that convinced rich countries to cancel much of their debt with the world’s least wealthy countries, freeing the money those governments needed to fund schools and hospitals.[3]

Now, we need to see the same people power pushing for a just recovery from coronavirus - and that means the world’s biggest businesses and wealthiest people funding their fair share of recovery.

Join our campaign to make sure taxes help to fund our recovery from coronavirus.

For a more fair Europe,

David (London), Virginia (Madrid), Marta(Warsaw) and the entire WeMove Europe team

PS. Did you know that Apple has been accused of dodging 13 billion Euros in taxes. [4] This scandal shows that we need to fix the big corporations tax system in the EU. Sign the petition so the corporations who have continued to bring in huge benefits while paying very little tax pay their fair share and help fund our recovery.