*[Enwl-eng] The way out of the pandemic

ENWLine

Dec 12, 2021, 12:20:47 PM12/12/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Take Action Now!
Dear friends,
Fears of new waves of death and disease are roiling the world, and this whack-a-mole cycle with new variants like Omicron will continue … until we ramp up vaccinations worldwide. How one country responds could change everything: Germany.

For over a year, 100+ countries have been pleading to lift the patent restrictions on life-saving Covid-19 vaccines and treatments during this pandemic – but Germany and the EU have blocked it. A similar rule helped save countless lives in the fight against the HIV epidemic, by making life-saving drugs accessible to millions. But it took decades to pass.

We CANNOT accept that this time. Every day of delay means more lives lost.

Germany just formed a new government, and if its leader Chancellor Scholz supports the emergency waiver, it would be transformative. Numerous lives could be saved, lockdowns averted, economies protected.

As he takes office, let’s send him powerful messages from around the world, asking him to do everything he can to get us out of this pandemic once and for all, starting with passing the temporary Covid-19 waiver.
Our leaders are too slow to learn what many of us know to be true: we are deeply interconnected. A virus outbreak in Wuhan changed the course of the entire world. Shameful vaccine inequity made African countries uniquely vulnerable, and created the conditions for a new variant to find fertile ground. As a result, Omicron threatens all of us.

The way out of this pandemic is less vaccine nationalism, and more global cooperation to protect the most vulnerable, everywhere. Whether Germany's new Chancellor Scholz puts this at the core of his government’s decisions is still an open question. The more he hears from all of us, the better the chances that he will.

Too many of us have already lost loved ones in this pandemic. Or overcome other hardships. Or still living through them. Let’s share those stories with Germany's new Chancellor as he starts his term during this profound chapter, and ask him to act boldly:
Our movement has been at the forefront of the call for a People’s Vaccine, in partnership with dozens of organizations, Nobel Laureates, public figures, and celebrities. With millions of voices, we have made this call a central struggle of this dark chapter of the pandemic, and we cannot, will not, stop until we win. The power of our voices this week could be pivotal for a breakthrough - so let’s take action now.

With hope and determination,

Daniel, Muriel, Nax, Risalat, Christoph and the entire team at Avaaz

More information:

Waiver of the WTO’s Intellectual Property Rules: Facts vs. Common Myths v 2.0 (Public Citizen)
https://www.citizen.org/article/trips-waiver-facts-vs-myths-v2/

Vaccine inequity and hesitancy made the Omicron variant more likely, scientists say (CNN)
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/28/world/omicron-coronavirus-variant-vaccine-inequity-intl-cmd/index.html

The People's Vaccine - a call signed by 2.7 Million and growing
https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/peoples_vaccine_2021_loc/
Avaaz is a 69-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2012-05-15

To ensure that Avaaz messages reach your inbox, please add av...@avaaz.org to your address book. To change your email address, language settings, or other personal information, contact us
To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West