*[Enwl] read the latest Race to Zero news! (см. русскую версию по ссылке на первой странице)

ENWLine

Oct 10, 2020, 1:08:24 PM10/10/20
to "ENWL-uni"

UN Climate Change
Global Climate Action
NEWSLETTER
Race to Zero
It's Time to Turn our Big Ideas into Action
The global countdown to a healthier, greener, more resilient world kicks off on Saturday — 10.10.20 — with the launch of the Countdown initiative to champion and accelerate solutions to the climate crisis.

The science is clear: The world must halve greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 and radically regenerate nature at the same time, in order to limit global temperature rise to 1.5°C.

Countdown, powered by TED and Future Stewards, seeks to answer five interconnected questions that will inform the blueprint to a zero-carbon economy by 2050:

       How rapidly can we switch to 100 percent clean power?
       How can we upgrade the way we move and transport people and things?
       How can we re-imagine and re-make the materials around us?
       How can we spark a worldwide shift to healthier food systems?
       How do we better protect and re-green the earth?

Countdown launches on Saturday with a five-hour virtual event on YouTube, where a stellar list of speakers will share the solutions needed and call for leaders and people alike to step up. Speakers include poet and activist Amanda Gorman; Freetown, Sierra Leone, mayor Yvonne Aki-Sawyerr; youth activist Xiye Bastida; UN Secretary-General António Guterres, UN Climate Change Executive Secretary Patricia Espinosa, Pope Francis, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen; ReNew Power Chief Technology Officer Varun Sivaram; IKEA CEO Jesper Brodin; and Global Optimism cofounder Christiana Figueres. Celebrity hosts and performers include Mark Ruffalo, Priyanka Chopra Jonas, Jane Fonda, Prince Royce, Yemi and Sigrid. The fifth and closing session is all about action and what we can do to accelerate the race to zero emissions, including by joining the Race to Zero.

Countdown is a movement open to everyone — because everyone has a role to play. So tune in on Saturday from 8AM PT/ 11AM ET/ 4PM CEST/ 10PM CST, and tell your friends, family, colleagues and neighbours to #JoinTheCountdown.

After 10.10.20: Over the next year, Countdown will support cross-sector projects designed to tackle climate-related challenges, bringing together leaders from business, finance, government, local communities, science, the arts and philanthropy. Each project will set bold goals and drive fresh commitments, leading up to the Countdown Summit and the COP26 in 2021. Independent Countdown Circles will also host citizen-led conversations around the world, exploring the initiative's five fundamental questions.

In addition to the live global event, over 500 TEDx Countdown virtual events in nine languages are planned around the world, encouraging communities and citizens to take action locally while also feeding local solutions and ideas into the global conversation.
In Case You Missed it...
Leaders’ Pledge for Nature: More than 70 political leaders (and growing) have signed a 10-point pledge to halt the destruction of nature by 2030.

Charoen Pokphand Group takes aim at agriculture emissions: Thailand’s largest private company, CP Group, is targeting net zero emissions across its operations by 2030. “As a conglomerate active across every aspect of the food system, we need to do our part to reduce the agriculture sector’s carbon footprint and leverage innovation across our businesses for a more sustainable future,” Chief Executive Suphachai Chearavanont wrote on LinkedIn.

UK National Health System goes for net zero: Britain’s largest employer, responsible for 4 percent of the country’s carbon footprint, aims to reduce the emissions it can control by 2040 and those it can influence in the supply chain by 2045.

Chile to make hydrogen from wind: Enel Green Power Chile is teaming up with Chilean electricity company AME and others to install a pilot project that makes green hydrogen from wind in Patagonia. Expected to start up in 2022, it will be one of the largest green hydrogen plants in Latin America.

Oxford’s principles for carbon offsetting: Carbon offsetting, if done properly, can contribute to net zero strategies, especially in hard-to-decarbonize sectors such as aviation and agriculture. The University of Oxford’s four principles will help ensure that happens.
UN Climate Change | Global Climate Action | Race to Zero | GlobalCli...@unfccc.int | unfccc.int
STAY CONNECTED
UNFCCC | Platz der Vereinten Nationen 1, Bonn, 53113 Germany
About our service provider
Sent by globalcli...@unfccc.int

Sent: Friday, October 09, 2020 11:14 AM
Subject: Vladimir, read the latest Race to Zero news!