*[Enwl-eng] They create the plastic. Now let them own the mess

1 view

ENWLine

May 19, 2021, 8:43:30 AM5/19/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Corporations made us swim in plastic. Let's make them pay to clean it up.

Sign Now

Once it's created, plastic never leaves the Earth, breaking down further and further but always existing. It even finds its way into our food and water — and then lodges inside our bodies. One place it doesn't often go: recycling centers. Even when plastic does go through the expensive, energy-intensive process of transforming it from one petroleum-based product into another, it's often on the taxpayers' dime... even though corporations created all this nasty non-biodegradable waste in the first place.

We didn't end up here by accident. Huge conglomerates have spent generations shrouding all of their products in plastic, whether it was necessary or not. Corporations have also spent generations telling us that it's our fault. If only we, each individual single consumer, would have recycled things the right way, the Earth would be clean and non-polluted. What an epic way to pass the buck and avoid accountability for their own mess.

Now, nine states across the U.S. are trying to pass bills known as "extended producer responsibility" laws. This type of legislation really just means: pushing the responsibility for the plastic waste that corporations create back onto the corporations that are truly responsible, and making them pay for the clean-up. If they're going to make these wasteful choices, they need to bear that burden. Once forced to take care of the waste, companies will start to rethink how heavily they rely on plastic in the first place. Sign the petition to demand that U.S. state governments force plastic-producing corporations to pay for the costs they've inflicted on our environment!

Thank you,

Miranda
The Care2 Petitions Team

P.S. Corporations are obsessed with churning out plastic, but want us to believe that we're each individually to blame. Tell U.S. states to pass "extended producer responsibility" laws now!

Care2.com, Inc.
203 Redwood Shores Parkway, Suite 230
Redwood City, CA 94065
http://www.care2.com