*[Enwl-eng] This bird species was brought back from the grave

ENWLine

Feb 9, 2021, 8:59:08 AM2/9/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Bringing the iconic crane back from extinction proves that conservation works. Tell the UK not to stop while it's ahead!

Sign Now

Our world is becoming increasingly inhospitable to wildlife — pollution, human development and habitat destruction, as well as hunting and trafficking have driven many animal populations to their breaking point. And although this phenomenon is picking up speed, it is not new. For example, due to overhunting and wetland draining, the common crane fully disappeared from the United Kingdom back in the 17th century. But our takeaway from the crane's demise shouldn't be that hope is futile. As of the beginning of 2021, the magnificent bird has made an astounding come back, with experts estimating that there are some 200 birds now thriving in the UK!

This is the result of diligent, unrelenting conservation efforts, and a statement from the chairman of the UK Crane Working Group sums it up best: "The return of cranes to the British landscape shows just how resilient nature can be when given the chance." Protected wetlands are vital to the cranes' survival — 85% of the breeding cranes in the UK are now found on protected reserves. Wetlands also support all types of other wildlife, and provide a vital weapon in our fight against climate change, since wetlands store a great deal of the carbon that would otherwise be polluting our atmosphere. Obviously, protecting wetlands should be a priority. Sign the petition and demand that the UK government pass sweeping wetland protections across the country!

Thank you,

Lauren
The Care2 Petitions Team

P.S. We must take the comeback of the crane as a lesson: conservation works. Sign the petition asking the UK to keep up the good work.

Care2.com, Inc.
203 Redwood Shores Parkway, Suite 230
Redwood City, CA 94065
http://www.care2.com