*[Enwl-eng] Incredible response -- Monsanto vs Mother Earth

ENWLine

Apr 14, 2013, 12:52:45 PM4/14/13
to "ENWL-uni"
One million against Monsanto patents in 36 hours! let's build the biggest
petition to stop Monsanto ever. Sign now and tell everyone.

Dear Avaazers,

It’s unbelievable, but Monsanto and Co. are at it again. These profit-hungry
biotech companies have found a way to gain exclusive control over the seeds
of life – the source of our food. They’re trying to patent away varieties of
our everyday vegetables and fruits like cucumber, broccoli and melons,
virtually forcing growers to pay them for seed and risk being sued if they
don’t.

But we can stop them from buying up Mother Earth. Companies like Monsanto
have found loopholes in European law to have exclusive rights over
conventional seeds, so we just need to close them shut before they set a
dangerous global precedent. And to do that, we need key countries like
Germany, France and the Netherlands -- where opposition is already
growing -- to call for a vote to stop Monsanto’s greedy plans. The Avaaz
community has shifted governments before, and we can do it again.

Many farmers and politicians are already against this -- we just need to
bring in people power to pressure these countries to keep Monsanto’s hands
off our food. Sign now and share with everyone to help build the biggest
food defense call ever:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/monsanto_vs_mother_earth_rb/?bYBHtab&v=24032

Once a patent exists in one country, trade agreements and negotiations often
push other countries to honour it as well. That’s why patents change
everything about how our food chain works: for thousands of years, farmers
could choose which seeds they’d use without worrying about getting sued for
violating intellectual property rights. But now, biotech companies are
getting patents on the seeds and then charging farmers exorbitant royalty
fees. And farmers can’t even save patented seeds for replanting the next
season -- Monsanto has sued hundreds of them for practicing the age-old art
of seed-saving and plant breeding. Monsanto and Co. claim that patents drive
innovation -- but in fact they create a corporate monopoly of our food.

But luckily, the European Patent Office is controlled by 38 member states
who, with one vote, can end dangerous patents on food that is bred using
conventional methods. Even the European Parliament has issued a statement
objecting to these kinds of destructive patents. Now, a massive wave of
public outcry could push them to ban the patenting of our everyday food for
good.

The situation is dire already -- Monsanto alone owns 36% of all tomato, 32%
of sweet pepper and 49% of cauliflower varieties registered in the EU. With
a simple regulatory change, we could protect our food, our farmers and our
planet from corporate control -- and it's up to us to make it happen:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/monsanto_vs_mother_earth_rb/?bYBHtab&v=24032

The Avaaz community has never been afraid to stand up to corporate capture
of our institutions, from pushing back the Rupert Murdoch mafia, to helping
ensure that telecoms keep their hands off our Internet. Now it’s time to
defend our food supply from this corporate takeover.

With hope and determination,

Jeremy, Michelle, Oli, Dalia, Pascal, Ricken, Diego and the whole Avaaz team

PS - Many Avaaz campaigns are started by members of our community! Start
yours now and win on any issue - local, national or global:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/start_a_petition/?bgMYedb&v=23917

SOURCES:

Conventionally-bred plants or animals should be exempt from patents, say
MEPs (EU Parliament)
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/pressroom/content/20120509IPR44733/html/Conventionally-bred-plants-or-animals-should-be-exempt-from-patents-say-MEPs

President of the European Patent Office gives green light for patents on
plants and animals (No Patents on Seeds)
http://www.no-patents-on-seeds.org/en/information/background/green-light-for-patents-on-plants-and-animals

Monsanto: All Your Seeds Belong to Us (Mother Jones)
http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2013/02/scotus-hears-monsanto-soybean-case

Seeds and Patents on Life (World Agriculture Report)
http://www.globalagriculture.org/index.php?id=2156

Structures and developments of the swiss and international seed markets
through the a case study on certain vegetables varieties (Berne decleration,
Swissaid and others) (German only)
http://www.evb.ch/cm_data/Saatgutmarkt_Juni_2012.pdf

Plant Patentability Questions Deepen In EPO Tomato Patent Case (IP Watch)
http://www.ip-watch.org/2012/06/13/plant-patentability-questions-deepen-in-epo-tomato-patent-case/

Tomato patent back before EPO’s Enlarged Board of Appeal (Europolitics)
http://europolitics.eis-vt-prod-web01.cyberadm.net/business-competitiveness/tomato-patent-back-before-epo-s-enlarged-board-of-appeal-art336003-7.htmlAvaaz.org
is a 20-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the
views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making.
("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in
every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6
continents and operates in 17 languages.

Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/highlights.php/?footer"> or follow us on facebook
here: http://www.facebook.com/Avaaz or twitter here:
http://twitter.com/AvaazThis message was sent to l...@iephb.nw.ru. To change
your email address, language, or other information, contact us here:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer

Want to leave this list? Send a message to unsub...@avaaz.org, or click
here:
https://secure.avaaz.org/act/?r=unsub&cl=2717296952&email=l...@iephb.nw.ru&b=2215&v=24032&lang=enTo
contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us via
the form at http://www.avaaz.org/en/contact. You can also call us at
+1-888-922-8229 (US).

-----
В этом сообщении вирусы не обнаружены.
Проверено AVG - www.avg.com
Версия: 2013.0.2904 / Вирусная база данных: 3162/6244 - Дата выпуска:
14.04.2013

(Russian)
RSS: http://groups.google.ru/group/enwl/feeds?hl=ru