*[Enwl-eng] Urgent: help unlock the Glasgow climate talks

ENWLine

Nov 12, 2021, 12:04:48 PM11/12/21
to "ENWL-uni"
Glasgow climate talks are in their final days, and there's a massive problem that threatens everything. Rich, high-emitting countries not delivering enough funds to vulnerable and impacted countries. These 3 key European leaders could deliver a breakthrough, but only if we hold their feet to the fire. Avaaz is speaking truth to power -- please help by sharing this call on Twitter where negotiators are following the conversation 24X7. Dear friends, It's crunch time at the Glasgow COP26 climate summit, and one thorny issue is still a top roadblock to a bold outcome for a climate safe future: broken promises by rich countries to deliver 100 billion dollars in life-saving funds.Vulnerable countries are rising up with a united voice demanding no more delay -- as the seas rise up around them: the result of decades of unchecked pollution that they contributed little to.Avaaz is standing shoulder to shoulder with them -- speaking truth to power.Now we're bringing the heat to 3 key European leaders who can deliver a breakthrough: French President Macron, German Chancellor Merkel, and head of the EU Commission von der Leyen. Let's show them that people around the world are demanding that they lead with courage. Avaaz is one of the only movements that can generate people power in real-time to influence the high-stakes talks, so let's use our power to push for a climate breakthrough!
Share on Twitter
[...]

Despite having a strong track record in the negotiations, experts are remarking on how much Europe has been missing in action in these last few days. The commitment for providing 100 billion dollars collectively to help the most vulnerable countries was agreed 12 years ago, and it still has not been met even past the deadline of 2020.

Vulnerable countries ravaged by climate disasters and Covid (with rampant vaccine inequity) have a right to be angry. Avaaz has been a loud voice standing in solidarity with them over the past weeks calling for an end to climate betrayal.

Now we're in the final stretch, with hours to go to the end of the summit. Whatever countries agree could accelerate progress towards an inevitable decarbonized future, or breach trust and undermine future collaboration. Finance is key -- let's make some noise and hold those who can make a difference to account.
This week our actions also pressured US leaders like President Obama (who originally committed the $100B) and President Biden (who is now falling short on delivering it), racking up major media coverage across The New York Times, BBC, and Reuters. The climate crisis can feel too big sometimes, but there is always something we can do -- what matters is that we stand on the side of truth and justice, and be proud of how we show up together.

With hope and determination,

Risalat, Mike, Nax, Daniel, Oscar, and the entire Avaaz team

More information:

A $100 billion promise holds the Paris Agreement together. Now, it's coming apart. (Grist)
https://grist.org/politics/a-100-billion-promise-holds-the-paris-agreement-green-climate-fund/

Are Countries Providing Enough to the $100 Billion Climate Finance Goal? (World Resources Institute)
https://www.wri.org/insights/developed-countries-contributions-climate-finance-goal

Cop26 week one: the impression of progress – but not nearly enough (The Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/06/cop26-week-one-the-impression-of-progress-but-not-nearly-enough

Obama tells COP26 to help poor nations... (Reuters)
https://www.reuters.com/business/cop/focus-turns-climate-finance-after-flurry-cop26-pledges-2021-11-08/
Avaaz is a 65-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2013-08-06

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500