*[Enwl-eng] Save the Internet from the US -- again

ENWLine

Apr 1, 2013, 5:59:58 PM4/1/13
to "ENWL-uni"
Dear friends,

The US is trying to pass a law that would take away our right to sue
Internet companies like Google and Twitter if they violate their privacy
policies. Whether you live in the UK, India, Brazil or the North Pole -- any
of these companies could hand over private messages and Skype chats, and
we'd never know about it! But we beat this law once already, now we can bury
it for good.

Members of the US Congress, who have received hundreds of thousands in
campaign contributions from companies that support this bill, are using
cybersecurity as an excuse to trample over our right to privacy. This is no
excuse. Internet freedom groups -- and President Obama himself -- have made
sensible recommendations about how to deal with cyberthreats while also
protecting our privacy. Last time Congress tried this, people all over the
world spoke out they were forced to shelve the bill. This time they're
hoping the world won't notice -- if we speak out again, we can make the bill
so toxic they'll never be able to bring it back.

Our movement has repeatedly played a leading role in protecting the Internet
from governments eager to monitor and control what we do online. Let's stand
together once again -- Sign the petition then forward to everyone who uses
the Internet:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa_a2/?bYBHtab&v=23587

Under the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA), if a cyber
threat is even suspected, companies we use to access the Internet will have
the right to collect information on our activities, share that with third
parties (including hundreds of government agencies like the CIA or the
military), refuse to notify us that we are being watched and then use a
blanket immunity clause to protect themselves from being sued for violation
of privacy or any other illegal action. It's a crazy destruction of the
privacy we all rely on in our everyday emails, web searches, Facebook photos
and more.

But we know that the US Congress is afraid of the world's response. This is
the fourth time they have tried to rebrand their attempt to attack our
Internet freedom and push it through under the radar, each time changing the
law's name and hoping citizens would be asleep at the wheel. The bill's
authors say this time they have even more support than last time, so it's
critical for us to push back!

Sign the petition to Congress opposing CISPA. When we reach 250,000 signers
our call will be delivered to each of the US Representatives backing the
bill:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa_a2/?bYBHtab&v=23587

Internet freedom faces threats everyday from governments around the world --
but the US is best placed to attack the rights of Internet users because so
much of the Net's infrastructure is located there. Our movement has, time
and time again, proven that global public opinion can help beat back US
threats to our Net. Let's do it again.

With hope,

Mia, Emma, Ricken, Allison, Diego, Wissam and the whole Avaaz team

MORE INFORMATION

CISPA creeps back to the House (Salon)
http://www.salon.com/2013/02/11/cispa_creeps_back_to_the_house/

FACT SHEET: Cybersecurity Legislative Proposal (The White House)
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/05/12/fact-sheet-cybersecurity-legislative-proposal

CISPA is Back: FAQ on What it is and Why it's Still Dangerous
https://www.eff.org/cybersecurity-bill-faq

CISPA Veto Threatened By White House (Huffington Post, April 2012)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/25/cispa-veto-white-house_n_1453511.htmlAvaaz.org
is a 20-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the
views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making.
("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in
every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6
continents and operates in 17 languages.

Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/highlights.php/?footer"> or follow us on facebook
here: http://www.facebook.com/Avaaz or twitter here:
http://twitter.com/Avaaz

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us
via the form at http://www.avaaz.org/en/contact. You can also call us at
+1-888-922-8229 (US).