*[Enwl-eng] The Amazon rainforest could become a desolate savanna

1 view

ENWLine

Mar 31, 2021, 1:16:33 PM3/31/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Destroying the Amazon rainforest is a disaster for the earth and the economy

Sign Now

When we destroy the rainforest, it doesn't just harm our environment and the thousands of vital, unique wildlife species that need it to survive. We're also actively destroying our own economy and our future as well. That's what makes it so jarring that the president of Brazil, Jair Bolsonaro, is gleefully and aggressively deforesting the Amazon rainforest. Bolsonaro isn't just a climate change denier. He's also trying to convince the Brazilian people that his horrific deforestation plans are meant to help the economy. As the rainforest burns at higher and higher rates, he refuses to listen to science or reason.

And he couldn't be more wrong. Bolsonaro is actually hurting both the global climate and his own people. Economic studies show that Brazil could lose $8.2 billion annually once the Amazon is completely destroyed. Not only would deforestation destroy animal habitat, it would also hurt farmers, make long-term logging more expensive, and would destroy one of the world's most important carbon sinks. Add your name to the petition calling on the Brazilian government to protect our world and the Brazilian economy, and stop deforestation of the Amazon!

Thank you,

Lauren
The Care2 Petitions Team

P.S. Brazil is pillaging the Amazon rainforest in the name of profits. But what happens when the rainforest is no more? Sign to protect the economy and the environment.

Care2.com, Inc.
203 Redwood Shores Parkway, Suite 230
Redwood City, CA 94065
http://www.care2.com