*[Enwl-eng] Indigenous emergency

1 view

ENWLine

Jun 25, 2021, 11:55:16 AM6/25/21
to "ENWL-uni"

This is Paulo Guajajara -- a brave earth defender murdered by illegal loggers in the Amazon. With another killing every two days, it’s an Indigenous emergency! But we can help. Avaaz is at the centre of talks to secure global protections for Indigenous peoples and their ancestral forests, grasslands and rivers that support life on Earth. Indigenous leaders are asking for our support -- sign now, share, and let’s deliver a deafening roar into the heart of the talks: Dear friends, You may never have heard his name, but Paulo Guajajara was fighting for all of us when illegal loggers ambushed and murdered him, then cut down the trees on his ancestral land.Paulo isn't alone: every two days, another brave earth defender is murdered. It’s an Indigenous emergency!  Now Indigenous leaders are calling on Avaaz to help win crucial protections for their lands that could be a giant step towards protecting all life on Earth. Governments are negotiating a groundbreaking deal to save biodiversity and give full land rights to these courageous communities. It would give powerful protections against loggers, miners, and poachers -- but greedy corporations and ruthless governments are going all out to scrap the plan.Avaaz is already in the centre of these crucial talks -- so let’s build and deliver a deafening call demanding governments protect indigenous lands! Add your name and pass this on:
Add your name
[...]

Half the Earth's forests are now gone. 15 BILLION trees are chopped down every year, decimating our planet's rainforests, jungles, and mangroves. This environmental devastation is intimately tied to the theft and destruction of ancient indigenous lands, and the horrific violence that comes with it.

Defending the rights of indigenous communities is a must for a global community like ours -- but is also central to stopping ecological annihilation. Study after study has shown that their cultures and practices are most effective at protecting these precious, life-giving ecosystems. Combined, their ancestral lands are home to 80% of earth's biodiversity -- and they defend it with their lives.

But if this new global biodiversity agreement comes to life, indigenous communities could have their land ownership formally recognised, giving them powerful legal protections and international backing. Let's make sure it happens!

Add your name now -- Avaaz will deliver our voices inside the negotiations, standing with indigenous leaders from around the world:
Standing with indigenous communities is in the Avaaz DNA. From funding life-saving Covid equipment for people of the Amazon rainforest, to supporting the Maasai in Kenya, and helping indigenous leaders win huge legal battles in court, our movement has shown up time and again. This is a golden opportunity to continue that tradition, helping to win this battle for the planet, and all the brave women and men defending it for future generations.

With fierce hope and determination,

Diego, Oscar, Mike, Marie, Laura, Luis, Anneke, Nell and the rest of the Avaaz team

Avaaz is a 65-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2013-08-06

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500