*[Enwl-eng] [wildlife-climate] Fwd: Sign on - letter to EU Trilogue - Don't weaken the EU deforestation law!

ENWL

Oct 14, 2022, 12:32:12 PM10/14/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear colleague,

I hope you don’t mind me writing to you. Apologies if we haven’t been in touch before, I’ve been given your email by Laurence Duprat, who I’m covering on maternity leave.

I would be very grateful if your organisation would consider signing the letter to the EU Trilogue below. Furthermore, if you would please share it with your international partners (especially those in the Global South) we would be very grateful. We believe the message would be considerably strengthened by as many sign ons as possible. There are versions of the letter in several languages below.

Many apologies for any cross-posting. The original email from the coalition of NGOs in Brussels is found below.

Please let me know if you have any questions !

Charlie

**************************

The European Commission, European Parliament and EU governments are currently working on the final text of the proposed EU deforestation law with the aim to reach an agreement by end of this year. And this stage is our last chance to influence the final text of the law and ensure it is the strongest version possible!

What do we want?

You might recall that a first CSO statement was published in February 2022 – right at the beginning of the Council and Parliament’s negotiations. There’s now a second CSO statement circulating and we’re looking for many NGOs to sign on ASAP.

The coalition of NGOs in Brussels(*) would like to emphasize towards decision-makers the importance of adopting a strong and ambitious law. The new statement lays out the main elements we think are under threat and where we think the institutions should not weaken the legislation. Translations of the statement are now ready here (Portuguese, French and Spanish) and Bahasa will be uploaded hopefully tomorrow. Please note that it is one sign up per organisation.

➡️ ➡️ You can sign up here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfYFq1BHpF07V5E017XOqxv0AZhaMWw4x6H2BEesXEPJ6DyNg/viewform

Communications & dissemination:

If your organisation has signed the statement and would like to spread the word, we highly encourage you to share it on your own social media platforms and with your media (press) contacts. Publication date to be confirmed - we will let you know in the coming days.

(*) The Brussels coalition consists of ClientEarth, Conservation International Europe, Environmental Investigation Agency, Forest Peoples Programme, Global Witness, Greenpeace European Unit and WWF EPO.

--

___________________

Tarcísio Feitosa da Silva

Cel + 55 21 9 6511 2645

Licenciado em Ciências Exatas e Naturais

Mestre em Agricultura Familiar e Desenvolvimento Sustentável pela UFPA/Embrapa (2009)

Graduando em Direito pela Universidade Estácio de Sá no Rio de Janeiro.

2006 Goldman Prize Recipient South and Central America (Forests - Brazil)

Beata Irmã Serafina Cinque - o anjo da Transamazônica, rogai por nós!!

От: Tarcísio Feitosa <tarcisi...@gmail.com>
Date: чт, 13 окт. 2022 г. в 01:34
Subject: Fwd: Sign on - letter to EU Trilogue - Don't weaken the EU deforestation law!
Amigos, importante ação para proteção das florestas tropicais, por favor, nos ajudem!
Tarcísio Feitosa