*[Enwl-eng] Vladimir’s Europe

ENWLine

Dec 8, 2020, 8:41:00 AM12/8/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear Vladimir,

A little over 5 years ago I sat down to write the first WeMove Europe email.

2015 was another year gone by with no real action on climate. 2-year-old boy Alan Kurdi had just drowned on his way to Europe -- another victim of our leaders’ compromise on humanity and dignity. [1] And an intense debate was raging on something that at the time seemed unthinkable; the UK leaving the European Union.

One email wasn’t going to change all that. But the 4,000 people receiving it would be the start of that change. It was the start of the WeMove Europe Community. Today, we are almost one million strong.

There’s a simple reason why 4,000 became one million: people like you, Vladimir believing that together, we can make a difference. Thank you.

5 years on we’ve achieved more than we could have dreamed. We’ve taken on some of the most powerful corporations in the world, limited single use plastics, and helped to protect whistleblowers. But there is still so much for us to do together.

So I wanted to ask if you would invest in us doing more together in 2021-- if each of reading this email donate a few euros, we can win more campaigns together in the year ahead.

I’ll donate €4
I’ll donate €8
I’ll donate €12
I’ll surprise you!

The reality is that the future of Europe is still up for grabs. Different forces, from power-hungry politicians to giant corporations ready to put profits over people are constantly trying to make their own interests prevail.

But, there is hope, too. Some of the incredible changes the world has been witness to this year have been down to people power.

  • The global #BlackLivesMatter movement;
  • Growing demands for real action on climate;
  • European wide calls for basic income.

Leaders everywhere are being held to account, and waking up to the power of everyday people working together. When we come together, that is when great things happen. That is how dogmas fall.

And that is what WeMove Europe is about -- the ultimate belief that you, Vladimir, together with me and the rest of WeMove, hold the power to drive change. Signing a petition opens doors for us to talk to politicians, every shared post informs the public and every email, phone call and meeting with an MEP shows that we do care.

Next year will not be a walk in the park. The battle for our planet will go on. Our demands for a coronavirus recovery package built for us and not for corporations will need to become even louder.

To do that we need a stable monthly income. At WeMove, that income is not made up of checks cut by big business. It is made up of every one of us. Thousands of WeMove members, donating what they can. On its own it’s €4. But pooled together, it is the lifeblood of our community. Will you donate?

I’ll donate €4
I’ll donate €8
I’ll donate €12
I’ll surprise you!

Since I sent that first email we have come so far; we won campaigns, we went out on the streets, went into parliaments and office buildings in Warsaw, Berlin and elsewhere.

And I know we have more to do, but for now Vladimir, I just wanted to say I’m so glad to be in this with you, together.

In solidarity,

Olga (Bologna), on behalf of the WeMove Europe team

Reference:
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Alan_Kurdi

WeMove Europe is an independent and values-based organisation that seeks to build people power to transform Europe in the name of our community, future generations and the planet.

WeMove Europe SCE mbH | Planufer 91 Berlin | www.wemove.eu | Privacy policy

Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2020 9:37 AM
Subject: Vladimir’s Europe

A little over 5