*[Enwl-eng] Lifeline to Earth - the clock is ticking

1 view

ENWLine

Aug 19, 2021, 7:53:41 AM8/19/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear friends,
We have a chance to influence how much of our natural world governments are willing to protect -- from majestic elephants to our deepest oceans and the Amazon -- but we have to do it right now!

Today, diplomats are meeting to negotiate key targets for the protection of our planet -- but proposals on the table still fall short of what the latest science says is needed.

We MUST protect at least half of the planet by 2030 to restore harmony with nature, and give us humans, and millions of species, a chance to thrive.

There is no time to lose. Send a powerful reminder to key governments that they cannot keep ignoring the voice of scientists, Indigenous peoples, and citizens worldwide.

Barbara Pompili
Minister of the Ecological Transition (France)

Andrea Meza Murillo
Minister of Environment and Energy (Costa Rica)

Jonathan Wilkinson
Minister of Environment and Climate Change (Canada)

Let's act now to push leaders to bring real ambition to the table -- to save our biological diversity and stem the climate crisis we need to protect at least half of the world’s land and sea by the end of this decade. It’s time these leaders hear from each and every one of us. Here are some tips of what you can say:

  1. We can't waste time ignoring science: protecting at least half of the planet by 2030 is a science-based target, not a political compromise.
  2. Fires, floods, famine and plague - what more needs to happen before decision-makers take action?
  3. The Earth is warming faster than we thought. If we don't protect at least half of the planet by 2030, we will never reach the 1.5ºC degrees goal.
  4. Over one million species could go extinct in the next fifty years if we do not set aside enough habitat to protect them.
  5. Passing Motion 101 to protect at least half of the planet by 2030 can set the ambition for the rest of the world -- science must be the North star
While an international negotiation is a political compromise per se, we must avoid compromises that don't bring us to conserve at least half of the planet by 2030. We cannot afford less. And we cannot compromise on our survival. From the top universities on the planet to the deepest jungles -- both Indigenous wisdom and scientific evidence have never been so crystal clear that we must immediately stop the bleeding of our planet. Let's join our voices and push our leaders into action.

With hope and determination,

Diego, Oscar, Luciana, Nax, Lilian, Luis and the whole Avaaz team

More information:

Protecting half of the planet is the best way to fight climate change and biodiversity loss – we’ve mapped the key places to do it
https://theconversation.com/protecting-half-of-the-planet-is-the-best-way-to-fight-climate-change-and-biodiversity-loss-weve-mapped-the-key-places-to-do-it-144908

A “Global Safety Net” to reverse biodiversity loss and stabilize Earth’s climate. Science advances, 6(36), eabb2824. See: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/36/eabb2824

Humans ‘pushing Earth close to tipping point’, say most in G20
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/16/three-quarters-g20-earth-close-to-tipping-point-global-survey-climate-crisis

"A million threatened species? Thirteen questions and answers"
https://ipbes.net/news/million-threatened-species-thirteen-questions-answers

Avaaz is a 65-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2012-05-15

To ensure that Avaaz messages reach your inbox, please add av...@avaaz.org to your address book.
To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West