*[Enwl-eng] Here are our top five victories from 2021

ENWLine

Jan 1, 2022, 1:11:03 PM1/1/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Every year, we look back and take stock of what we accomplished.

350.org

Hi,

We'd like to take a moment to step back and take stock of what we accomplished this year.

2021 was a turning point for the climate movement. The pillars of the fossil fuel industry are weakening — and that’s because of all of our work.

This was such a busy year in every corner of the world that we had a hard time narrowing down a list of accomplishments. But because everyone loves a good list, here are five amazing things we did together in 2021 (in no particular order).

After you finish reading, will you share your climate priorities with us for the year ahead? We read every single one of them.

Share your thoughts »

The European Central Bank agrees to prioritise climate risks

Koala Kollektiv projection at European Central Bank Headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany.

Koala Kollektiv projection at European Central Bank Headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany.

After 18 months of protests, Europe’s central bank announced that it would incorporate climate as it assesses risk and formulates monetary policy.1 This was a huge victory that will help cut off the flow of funds to fossil fuels. With this momentum, we are continuing to push the Bank of England to follow suit.

Brazil’s national development bank leaves coal behind

350.org Brazil and artisanal fishermen from AHOMAR denounce the BNDES’ high investments in fossil fuels.

350.org Brazil and artisanal fishermen from AHOMAR denounce the BNDES’ high investments in fossil fuels.

One of the largest financiers of infrastructure projects in Brazil – National Bank for Economic and Social Development (BNDES) – announced that it would no longer provide credit for coal-fired power plants, following pressure from our movement.2

China ends financing for new coal projects abroad

Climate advocates from 350 Pilipinas held a dragon and lion dance at the Chinese Embassy in Makati, Metro Manila.

Climate advocates from 350 Pilipinas held a dragon and lion dance at the Chinese Embassy in Makati, Metro Manila.

China announced at the United Nations that it would end all involvement in coal projects abroad. We worked with a global network of organisations to pressure the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) – the largest bank in the world – to stop all funding for new coal projects.3

We launched a historic Global Just Recovery Gathering

Zoom screen shot

7,000 people from 151 countries gathered to envision a Just Recovery.

We hosted a 62-hour event called the Global Just Recovery Gathering. The event had 196 sessions, 30 panelist speakers, live interpretation and captioning in nine languages.

We used cutting-edge, digital technology to support authentic connection for our movement. The event inspired individuals to take action, grow their leadership, and provided a space to envision the future we want.

In the US, we stopped Keystone XL (again)

Give KXL the boot march in Lincoln, Nebraska

Give KXL the boot march in Lincoln, Nebraska. Photo Credit: Juliana BrownEyes Clifford

The President of the U.S., Joe Biden, revoked the permits for the Keystone XL pipeline, putting the final nail in the coffin after a decade-long fight led by our movement. Following the announcement, the 350 team in the U.S. launched the Fossil Free Federal Reserve campaign to cut off the financing from Big Banks to projects like Keystone XL.

Can you take a minute to share your top climate priorities? We're pulling all of the responses together shortly so we want to be sure yours gets added to the list.

None of this would be possible without you. We’re truly grateful for all your support in making this happen and wish you all the best for 2022.

Thank you for everything,

Ellie for 350.org

1 - 350.org
2 - 350.org
3 - 350.org ICBC campaign

Facebook Twitter Instagram

PO Box 843004, Boston, MA 02284-3004

350.org is a global movement that fights for a just and equitable world by stopping the fossil fuel industry from continuing to destroy our climate.

Sent: Friday, December 31, 2021 9:02 PM
Subject: Vladimir, Here are our top five victories from 2021 🎉