*[Enwl-eng] Mobilizing We The Peoples is key to solving our biggest challenges

ENWLine

Sep 10, 2021, 9:21:48 PM9/10/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Open in your web browser

The world is facing multiple connected, cascading and compounding mega-threats. These challenges range from climate change, pandemic outbreaks and deepening inequality to massive digital vulnerabilities and nuclear proliferation. Yet global cooperation to address these and other issues is in short supply. More than ever, governments and civil society need to deepen their solidarity to address these shared risks. No single country or company can solve these problems alone. None of these issues can be addressed without fostering trust. A shift of paradigm is needed to accelerate international cooperation.

Over the past two years the Igarapé Institute has supported the United Nations Secretary General and his executive office to deliver an action-oriented strategy to address these tremendous challenges. Together with partners, the Institute has provided inputs to the Secretary-General’s plan — called Our Common Agenda — released today at the General Assembly. The Agenda sets out the case for a comprehensive approach to tackling global challenges. It is forward-looking, emphasizing the need to build a sustainable world for future generations. It calls for networked multilateralism to protect our critical commons and global public goods.

 As part of this effort, the Institute is also releasing a report summarizing findings from a far-reaching global digital consultation held in 2021 designed to feed ideas into Our Common Agenda. The report — Accelerating Inclusive Global Cooperation — was developed with support from more than 30 civil society partners across the Americas, Europe, Africa and Asia. It distills more than 520 proposals collected from over 1,750 representatives of civil society in over 140 countries. Inputs were received from leading NGOs, impact investors, philanthropists, parliamentarians, city leaders, academic institutions and under-represented groups such as minorities, migrants and conflict-affected communities.

Among other things, civil society groups participating in digital consultation called for:

  • A global system that accounts for future generations and embraces inclusion;
  • The prioritization of climate change as a global priority with redoubled investment in climate action;
  • Much greater ambition from the UN through a reinvigorated multilateralism to avoid a global breakdown.

The Institute is delighted to share the report — Accelerating Inclusive Global Cooperation — in multiple languages. It is a powerful expression of the expertise and experience of civil society to shape multilateral action. Proposals and recommendations generated by participants were shared with the executive office of the Secretary-General and influenced Our Common Agenda. The annex of the report also features specific proposals submitted during the digital consultation held in 2021.

1,759
participants

147
countries

523
proposals

6
languages

Read the publication
Read the UN Secretary-General's report Our Common Agenda

Video link

Coming soon

As a knowledge partner of the United Nations, the Institute produces short analytical papers on key existential challenges and solutions. The Institute will be releasing a series of reports and visualizations on ways to accelerate inclusive and networked multilateralism on issues ranging from global vaccination and nuclear-non proliferation to climate financing.

Our Common Agenda
UN 75 years

Latest publications

Muggah, R. and Szabo, I. 2021. “A Darkening Threat Horizon with a Green Silver Lining”, Medium and Paris Peace Forum, August.

Muggah, R. and Schmidt, P. 2021. “The Global Networks Working to Abolish Nuclear Weapons”, Foreign Policy, July.

Aguirre, K., Laforge, G., Muggah, R. and Slaughter, A. 2021. “Three Years is Too Long to Wait for Vaccine Rollout”, Foreign Policy, June.

Sent by Instituto Igarapé

Rio de Janeiro. RJ – Brasil

If you wish to unsubscribe, please click here.

--
Вы получили это сообщение, поскольку подписаны на группу "seu-international".