*[Enwl-eng] KFC

1 view

ENWLine

Apr 29, 2020, 10:22:15 AM4/29/20
to "ENWL-uni"

In just 3 weeks we could finally stop KFC and Pizza Hut from using rainforest-wrecking palm oil.

We can't miss this chance to protect our precious forests from fast-food greed -- can you add your name now?

 Sign the petition

They tried to silence us.

Yum! Brands, owner of KFC and Pizza Hut, unleashed its legal power to try to prevent us from using our power as shareholders. But we stood strong and we won’t back down until rainforests are safe from the fast-food giant’s greed.

Multi-billion dollar fast-food conglomerate Yum! Brands has one of the industry's weakest anti-deforestation policies. Its reckless sourcing of palm oil and other ingredients have horrific consequences for wildlife and the climate -- and could even spur the next global pandemic.

Now, after all the excuses, smokescreens, and greenwashing attempts, Yum! will finally have to listen to us. In just three weeks, we have an opportunity to hold the corporation to account over its destructive ways -- and we urgently need your help to make sure it doesn't go to waste!

We're crashing Yum!'s AGM to present your signatures along a hard hitting no-deforestation shareholder proposal. Your pressure will convince shareholders that deforestation is bad for business -- and force Yum! into long-overdue rainforest-saving action.

Demand KFC and Pizza Hut take deforestation off their menu!

Vladimir, deforestation for cheap fast-food ingredients has driven endangered animals like orangutans, pygmy elephants and Sumatran rhinos to the brink of extinction. It's caused devastating wildfires in the Amazon and Indonesia and released tonnes of carbon into the atmosphere. And now experts are saying it might make pandemics like COVID-19 more likely to happen.

And still, knowing all this, KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell can't -- or won't -- prove their palm oil, beef, soy, and paper packaging are sustainably sourced. CEOs talk a green game, but who knows how many millions of trees are being slashed and burned behind the scenes?

Last year, we traveled to Yum!'s Kentucky HQ to present our proposal for much-needed transparency on forests. When it got one in every three votes, Yum! responded -- by trying to ban us from doing the same thing this year. But our people power beat all their legal brass. Now we've got one more chance -- and we have to make it count.

There's a big difference this year: the pandemic means we can't confront Yum!'s bosses in person. So it's extra important to have your signatures on our side to make the biggest impression on both shareholders and the board.

Please, will you add your name to save our forests, the last orangutans and prevent the next pandemic?

With nobody to hold them accountable, corporations like Yum! will keep exploiting our natural world to the point of collapse. It's up to us to show them that when rainforests burn, we all lose.

And you've already shown you're up to the task. Pressure from SumOfUs members like you has gotten some of the world's most powerful corporations to take deforestation seriously -- like Pepsi, which radically overhauled its palm oil sourcing policy this year after over one million of you called it out. Or Lindt, which committed to an ambitious zero-deforestation policy for its cocoa after you and I exposed the rainforest destruction behind its fancy wrapping.

With your help, KFC and Pizza Hut will finally take deforestation off the menu. But there isn't much time left to act. On behalf of rainforests everywhere, can you join us?

 Sign the petition

Thanks for all that you do,
Fatah and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

Our shareholder proposal, SEC, April 2020
What's driving deforestation?, Union of Concerned Scientists
How does fast food impact the environment?, Environmental Technology, 7 February 2019
How the world got hooked on palm oil, The Guardian, 19 February 2019

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 9:34 PM
Subject: Re: KFC

emics