*[Enwl-eng] Our precious trees

1 view

ENWLine

Nov 25, 2021, 6:04:44 AM11/25/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Cutting down trees to save the climate: does that sound like a good idea? Well, the tree burning industry wants European leaders to agree on rules that would make cutting down trees at mass scale count as renewable energy. All to secure €7 billion euros for their own pockets. But the facts simply don’t add up...

They would have us believe they are scavenging the forests for twigs and fallen trees to burn, and that it does no harm. This is the story our leaders have been sold. But taking bulldozers to our ancient forests, destroying all the life that inhabits them, is not renewable. [1]

But the ink is not dry on the rules just yet. There’s still time to act, if we move fast and show them this isn't a renewable alternative to dirty fossil fuels.

We’ve got the researchers lined up to prove just how damaging mass scale tree burning is, and a plan for how to get this on the desks of decision makers.

The industry funds its fight with deep pockets, but we can match them with our deeper roots. Spread all across Europe, people like you and I reading this email are the roots of this community. We give it the strength to stand and fight for the issues we all care about. All by donating what we can to make things like this happen.

Can you chip in to get the facts out there which prove that cutting down our trees is bad for the climate?

Chip in €4
Chip in €8
Chip in €12

This research is needed now more than ever. Many journalists have told us they can’t work out who to believe about the impact of biomass on climate change.

That’s because tree burning companies have been paying for powerful lobbyists to make their case for years. But we can set the record straight: a people-powered report that proves that damage could swing the debate before it’s too late.

It’s probably obvious to many of us: if you cut down a 500 year old tree and replace it with one that’s a couple of years old, it’s not the same. But that’s what many in the industry are saying: that an area of forest that has been in place for hundreds of years can be replaced by planting new trees somewhere else. [2]

Our politicians need the facts laid out about burning trees at a mass scale before they make their decision. We have enough time to get the research done, but only just: we have to decide on Monday whether or not we go ahead with our plan.

If you think we should protect our forests from people taking shortcuts on climate change will you chip in to help make this happen?

Chip in €4
Chip in €8
Chip in €12

WeMove Europe members have been working together to protect our forests for a year now. We’ve already moved the powerful Environmental Minister of Finland, who has said publicly she will act to protect the trees. [3] Now we need to work together again, and move the most influential MEPs before they make up their minds.

If we pull this off, our vital research will get the real facts about biomass out there just in time.

Thanks for being part of this.

David (London), Olga (Bologna), Tom (Brussels) and the WeMove Europe team

PS. The problem is not that some of us heat our homes with wood stoves. The problem is that industry wants to label as 'renewable energy' the way they destroy the forest to make wood. With our report, we can show why it’s not renewable. Chip in!

[1] https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1mnxedBYZoqJX

[2] https://consent.yahoo.com/v2/collectConsent?sessionId=3_cc-session_71784732-497f-424a-9106-74fc6094a1ab

[3] https://twitter.com/MikkonenKrista/status/1399389520865468417?s=20

WeMove Europe is a community of people from all walks of life, who call Europe our home,
no matter where we were born, where we live or who we love.
In the name of a brighter future for people and the planet,
we come together to sign petitions, send letters and protest on the streets to make our voices heard.
Our power comes from each other. And it's thanks to small monthly donations, fivers and tenners, that we can keep going.

Vladimir, please help keep WeMove Europe strong by chipping in.

DONATE!

WeMove Europe SCE mbH | Planufer 91 Berlin | www.wemove.eu | Privacy policy |

Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2021 8:55 PM
Subject: Our precious trees