*[Enwl-eng] Billboards to Celebrate Banning Nukes

1 view

ENWLine

Oct 26, 2020, 8:16:17 PM10/26/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Did you hear this weekend's big news? Thanks to the persistent and committed work of peace activists around the world, the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons just reached 50 country ratifications. This means that in 90 days the treaty will be law.

Now our local divestment campaigns have a new argument to demand that funding be taken out of nukes, and our campaigns to close bases have a new argument to demand the closure of bases occupied by a military still using nuclear weapons. Contact us to get involved in either of those efforts.

We also have some new ideas for billboards. Thanks to your funding and ideas, we've put up powerful billboards in various parts of the world that have generated media attention and been used to organize events and activism. Help us put up more by clicking here.

Keep reading below for new billboard ideas.

Here's one of our new billboard ideas. The U.S. military illegally keeps nuclear weapons in five European nations (Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Turkey) and maintains bases over which it has complete control in countries that have (to their great credit) ratified the new treaty, such as Honduras and Thailand, not to mention Cuba which already wants the U.S. base there closed, as well as maintaining unimpeded use of airports in countries that have ratified the treaty, such as Ireland. Other countries, such as Samoa and Palestine, have ratified the treaty, despite parts of their land being occupied by nuclear-armed governments. We could put up billboards in Europe along these lines:

Anything we do depends entirely on your funding and your ideas.

Click here and chip in what you can.

When you do, let us know any ideas you have for the best billboard messages and locations.

Even small donations add up and can go a long way, especially if you check the box to make them recur monthly.

We're also always happy to partner and share the costs of billboards with other organizations. Just let us know.

Thanks for all you do!

—David Swanson, Executive Director, World BEYOND War

World BEYOND War is a global network of volunteers, activists, and allied organizations advocating for the abolition of the very institution of war. Our success is driven by a people-powered movement – support our work for a culture of peace.

Opt-in for important, timely mobile messages.

World BEYOND War 513 E Main St #1484 Charlottesville, VA 22902 USA

Privacy policy.
Checks must be made out to "World BEYOND War / AFGJ" or we can't deposit them.

Switch to receiving only one e-newsletter every two weeks.

Should giant war-profiteering corporations decide what emails you don't want to read? We don't think so either. So, please stop our emails from going into "junk" or "spam" by "white listing," marking as "safe," or filtering to "never send to spam."

Sent: Monday, October 26, 2020 7:56 PM
Subject: Billboards to Celebrate Banning Nukes