*[Enwl-eng] Siemens: we now have proof

1 view

ENWLine

Feb 25, 2021, 10:42:16 AM2/25/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Siemens is providing crucial technology to a toxic new coal mine that will hasten the death of Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

But we have new evidence that could force Siemens to reconsider.

Coal port near the Great Barrier Reef

Can you help build a global outcry to show Siemens that the risks of this mine are too big to ignore?

 Sign the petition

Time is running out to stop one of the biggest new coal mines in the world.

Despite years of opposition and delay, the Adani Carmichael mine could be exporting massive shiploads of dirty coal through the Great Barrier Reef in as little as six months.

But to become operational, the Adani mine relies on a key piece of train signalling technology that only German engineering giant Siemens is willing to provide.

We’ve been fighting for over a year to get Siemens to reconsider its support for the Adani mine. And now we finally have the evidence we need: at least four environmental breaches that could trigger the exit clause in Siemens’ contract with Adani.

This is a crucial opportunity. With your help, we can flood Siemens with evidence of these breaches. By making this headline news across the world, you can force Siemens to stick to its word and review the contract.

SIGN the petition: Siemens, stick to your word and recognise the environmental impacts of Adani’s coal mine.

Last year, as Australia burned in one of its worst ever bushfire seasons, thousands of SumOfUs members were part of a massive global effort led by indigenous Traditional Owners to urge Siemens to rule out work on the toxic Adani mine.

Despite the massive global outcry, Siemens said it was bound by its word and went ahead with the contract. But there was a catch: your efforts helped force the Siemens CEO to “secure the right to pull out of the contract if our customer violates very stringent environmental obligations”.

Vladimir, we didn’t have the proof we needed then, but now we do. Four environmental breaches against Adani have been upheld. And more are now under investigation.

Last year the Wangan and Jagalingou people - the Traditional Owners of the land on which Adani is building its mine - warned Siemens of exactly this. That Adani has no regard for their ancestral lands and waterways. These breaches are only the first evidence of this. If Siemens helps Adani complete this mine who knows how many more Adani will commit.

Add your voice and tell Siemens it’s time to act.

The campaign to stop the Adani Carmichael mine has been one of the most effective grassroots corporate campaigns ever. Pressure from people across the world has forced more than 90 companies to walk away from the project.

But despite this, Adani is still stumbling towards the finish line. And Siemens is one of the few companies left which is helping it to get there.

Send Siemens a message now that Adani’s mine is a cost to the climate we cannot afford.

 Sign the petition

Thanks for all that you do,
Nick and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

Bravus (formerly Adani) accused of environmental breaches, amid concerns about 'significant erosion' ABC News, 5 February 2021
Siemens Under Pressure From Protesters Over Adani Contract Bloomberg, 17 December 2019

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2021 5:13 PM
Subject: Siemens: we now have proof