*[Enwl-eng] Let's celebrate! We're shutting down the Indian Point plant in NY

ENWLine

Apr 30, 2020, 7:32:05 PM4/30/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Beyond Indian PointIt’s time to support New Yorkers in their great victory against nuclear power.

Sign the Petition Today

We’re on the verge of a great victory against nuclear power: Reactor 2 of the New York-based Indian Point power plant will be shut down today, April 30. The final reactor will be shut down this time next year.

Thousands of activists in New York and around the country have worked toward this moment for a long time. Today, we’re taking some time to celebrate the first step of this great victory!

But supporters of nuclear power are using the shutdown—and the pandemic, if you can believe it—as an opportunity to defend nuclear energy. They’re cynically using the pandemic by spreading fear about blackouts in New York—a claim that is simply not true.

It’s time to support New Yorkers in their great victory against nuclear power. Sign this petition supporting the closure of Indian Point nuclear plant and the transition to 100% renewable energy in New York.

There’s nothing that advocates of nuclear energy can do at this point to prevent the Indian Point shutdown. But they’re using the shutdown, and others like it, to spread fear about the consequences of phasing out nuclear power across the country. They’re even using the threat of shut-down ventilators as a way to tap into our anxiety during the COVID-19 pandemic.

We need to meet their cynicism with a renewed commitment to phase out nuclear energy across the country—and that starts in New York. Sign this petition supporting the closure of Indian Point nuclear plant and the transition to 100% renewable energy in New York.

After you sign the petition, you’ll be invited to an online forum (via Zoom) about the closure of Indian Point. The forum will be held on Wednesday, May 6 at 4PM ET. We hope you’ll decide to sign up for that, too!

As usual, we thank you for all you do and hope you’re healthy and safe.

The NIRS Team

Diane D'Arrigo
Luis Hestres
Denise Jakobsberg