*[Enwl-eng] They want to silence us on pesticides

ENWLine

Sep 10, 2020, 7:27:15 PM9/10/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Karl and Alexander spoke up against the use of pesticides in the Italian region of South Tyrol. In response, the region is suing them in an attempt to bully them into silence. Tell the region that Europeans care about our food safety and they don’t respond well to bullies.

This is the story of Karl Bär and Alexander Schiebel.

Karl displayed a billboard to draw attention to the use of pesticides in South Tyrol. Alexander wrote a book about the small village of Mals in South Tyrol whose citizens voted to ban pesticides. [1] [2]

Now, they’re being sued by South Tyrol’s local government. The trial starts next week.

But this is bigger than just their trial. This also about people like us being able to take on decision makers without being bullied into silence. Together, we can help Karl and Alexander.

Here's how: We know the local government of South Tyrol isn’t used to being targeted: they rely heavily on tourism and they hate bad publicity.

Karl and Alexander have a plan to spread their story across Europe. [3] All it takes is your signature to stand with them.

SIGN NOW

South Tyrol’s government has already attacked many who have tried to stop the use of pesticides. That’s because millions of euros are at stake, and they’re willing to do anything to protect profits at the expense of our health. [4]

Just talk to the citizens of Mals. They voted to ban pesticides, only to see their democratic vote ignored. The region then came up with a law saying that no municipalities could regulate the use of pesticides on their own, and later the ban in Mals was considered unlawful by the courts. [5]

But Karl and Alexander have dedicated their lives to stopping pesticides. They’re going to continue the fight. And right now, they need our help – let’s join them!

SIGN NOW

As a community, we’ve been fighting for years to stop the use of pesticides, such as glyphosate, across Europe. This is our chance to support local activists like Karl and Alexander who fight for our goal of a pesticide-free Europe.

In solidarity,
David (London), Giulio (Rome), Olga (Bologna) and the WeMove Europe team