*[Enwl-eng] No. Muslim. Ban. Ever.

ENWLine

Jan 28, 2022, 9:38:00 AM1/28/22
to "ENWL-uni"

the Muslim Ban is still hurting families, Vladimir.

MPower Change

As salaamu alaykum, —

Today marks 5 years since Trump introduced the first Muslim Ban.

It's now been over 1 year since Biden repealed the Muslim and African bans in all its forms.

And yet the families impacted by the bans continue to be separated.

Add your name to our open letter to the White House here:

Demand President Biden and Vice President Harris stop upholding Trump’s racist immigration bans and allow entry to individuals and families impacted by the bans NOW.

The Muslim Ban is still hurting families.

Rescinding Trump's Muslim and African Bans was a necessary first step — one that took years of organizing and serious people power to achieve.

But it's not enough by itself.

Here's why:

As it stands, only 41,000 visa recipients who were set to enter the U.S. and only stopped by Trump's racist bans remain in limbo — and without swift action by the White House will have to wait years, if ever, to re-enter even with the bans rescinded.1

And what's more: untold numbers of Muslim and African families torn apart by Trump's bans remain separated and/or endangered.

Just yesterday, the Huffington Post published a new piece laying out the price of inaction — among what they discovered was over "800 cases in which the ban separated partners from spouses and parents from children [...] For many of those families, the ban has caused irreparable damage."2

It's on the White House to take action. Click here to add your name.

We know that at least thousands of families remain separated by Trump's hatred and Biden's inaction.

We hear their stories all the time.

Stories like that of Mohammed, who spent all of the money he had to get an opportunity to live in the United States and leave Yemen as it underwent a grave humanitarian catastrophe amidst U.S.-funded Saudi-led bombing. He won the diversity visa lottery, and was ready to make the trip — and then was stripped of his visa because of Trump's bans.

We could fill this email, over and over again, with stories like this, and then some.

It all comes back to this: just because Trump’s Muslim and African Ban was ended on paper doesn’t mean the families separated by it get reunited in reality — or the refugees it failed get protected in real life.

Add your name to demand #NoMuslimBanEver.

Families and individuals could wait years unless the Biden administration takes action. Many can’t afford to go through the process again.

We need Biden to stop continuing Trump's legacy on immigration and take concrete steps:

  • Issue clear guidance regarding the next steps for applicants denied under the Muslim and African Bans.
  • Immediately and automatically reconsider, reopen, and expedite all immigrant and non-immigrant visa applications subject to the Muslim and African Bans that have not yet been granted, including those denied during the Trump years.
  • Grant humanitarian parole to those who won the diversity visa lottery during the Trump years.

The issue isn't that we don't know how to redress the harms done by Trump's bans. The issue is that we need the White House to actually take those steps.

Tell President Biden and Vice President Harris that rescinding Trump's policies in theory isn't enough — they need to be undone in practice.

Thank you for everything you do.

In solidarity,

Linda, Ishraq, Sadaf and the MPower Change team

Sources:

1. No Muslim Ban Ever Sign-On Letter to the Biden Administration

2. "5 Years Later, Families Trump's Muslim Ban Separated Are Begging Biden For Help" Huffington Post, January 27, 2022

Donate to MPower Change
MPower Change Facebook MPower Change Twitter MPower Change Instagram

MPower Change is a grassroots movement of diverse Muslim communities working together to build social, spiritual, racial, and economic justice for all people. Support our work.

Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2022 11:29 PM
Subject: No. Muslim. Ban. Ever.