*[Enwl-eng] 15 Years Together

ENWL

Dec 2, 2022, 11:06:52 AM12/2/22
to "ENWL-uni"

The Story of Stuff Project
Story of Stuff's 15th Anniversary

Fifteen years ago, The Story of Stuff premiered on a young social media platform called YouTube. Annie’s 20-minute animated exploration of where our Stuff comes from and where it goes when we throw it away became an iconic online film beloved by millions around the world.

Annie breaks down the exploitative linear economy in The Story of Stuff

The steadfast partnership of friends like you is one of the main reasons why our team still carries on the spirit of the original Story of Stuff all these years later: telling stories that illuminate the social and environmental costs of our relationship with Stuff; fielding campaigns that mobilize our Community members, viewers and others to meaningful action; and bringing together diverse partners, grassroots groups and underrepresented communities, to achieve our shared goals.

Celebrating our 15th anniversary with you is a great honor, and we’re excited to share with you what we have planned for the future.

i want to continue my partnership
with the story of stuff project
count me in

Storytelling is at the heart of who we are: it’s how we frame the challenges we face, drive support toward the solutions we love and inspire our Community members to flex their citizen muscles.

We made a big shift in our award-winning storytelling on the plastics crisis this year with the launch of Solving Plastic, a miniseries profiling meaningful solutions to runaway single-use plastic consumption. The series has been a big success, drawing significant view counts across our social media channels and, more importantly, giving us the opportunity to introduce you to the organizations, companies and individuals pioneering a plastic-free future.

This winter we’ll produce four additional Solving Plastic features, bringing the total number of videos in the series near a dozen. We’ll also focus on creating a suite of wraparound tools to go with the series, including a study guide, additional information on the website about the profiled solutions and webinars – open to all Community members – with the profiled companies or organizations.

Our solutions-oriented storytelling approach continues in early 2023 with the release of Burning Injustice (working title), our short documentary profiling the multi-generational fight to close one of California’s two remaining solid waste incinerators – Covanta Stanislaus – and return Modesto, CA and surrounding communities to their zero waste roots.

Through vivid, human-centered storytelling we’ll paint a striking picture of environmental racism and injustice and make the moral argument for the incinerator’s closure. We’ll also highlight our Grassroots Grantee and partner Valley Improvement Project’s efforts to return Modesto to environmental trailblazer status, enabling us to meet a critical goal in our plastic solutions storytelling: ensuring that we center solutions that most benefit communities that have borne the brunt of the plastic pollution itself.

We’ll also be producing a five-minute video explainer on the Global Plastics Treaty negotiations that got underway this past summer, drawing back the veil for viewers by helping them understand what the proposed treaty is all about, why it matters and how folks can encourage our governments to adopt the strongest possible terms.

Multilateral institutions and agreements are famously opaque to all but the most technically informed and capable. Our explainer will break it all down: we’ll assess which countries are on board, which need to be pushed and the contours of their disputes; we’ll discuss the role global corporations are poised to play in the negotiations and the ways in which advocates are pushing back; and we’ll explore ways for ordinary citizens to hold their leaders’ feet to the fire.

While telling great stories is at the heart of everything we do, we also believe that information alone won’t win the change we need. So we couple our storytelling with citizen action. Our campaigns are meant to both have a strategic impact on the way we make, use and throw away Stuff as well as inspire our Community to learn, participate and grow.

Like our storytelling, our plastics-related campaigning is increasingly solutions oriented: in California this year we were successful in influencing and passing legislation that will give state agency CalRecycle hundreds of millions of dollars over the coming three years to modernize our container deposit system, including a $25 million dollar investment to facilitate the transition to refillables. Over the coming months, we’ll be pushing the state to spend those dollars in under-resourced communities, in particular those who’ve borne the brunt of the current waste system, to encourage a just transition.

That push is part of a broader effort we’re undertaking around the country to use the scale of deposit systems to build refillable bottle infrastructure. We also expect to join with others to introduce a principled national bottle bill, staking out what a strong and successful federal deposit return system could look like.

And while we await the final ruling in our California Water Board case against water bottling giant BlueTriton, which continues to remove tens of millions of gallons of water from the San Bernardino National Forest, we’ll continue to press the U.S. Forest Service to explain why it gave the company a new special use permit recently despite the apparent lack of a complete application!

Of course, fighting plastics isn’t the only thing on our Community’s agenda. We’ll continue to support Right to Repair bills around the country and this coming spring we’re hoping to ramp up our support for the labor, environmental and other networks putting the heat on Amazon. More on that soon.

Throughout our history we’ve made a point of playing well with others and that has continued to be a winning strategy for the Story of Stuff Project to this day. Our centerpiece Grassroots Grants program will make $100,000 in small grants to predominantly people of color-led and serving grassroots groups this year, a new high point in the program’s giving. In 2023, we’ll continue to award a total of $100,000 in direct grants, and raise additional funds for program outcomes, like media collaborations and other ‘beyond the dollars’ support for our grantees.

Story of Stuff Grassroots Grantee Rio Grande International Study Center's Campaign to Eliminate Ethylene Oxide Emissions in Laredo, TX

I’m continuously amazed at the eagerness of organizations large and small to collaborate with us, something that is no doubt rooted in our Community’s continued engagement and generosity. I’m talking about the funds you contribute, the actions you take, the friends you share our content with, and everything else you’ve done over the past 15 years to create a more sustainable, healthy, and just future.

So I’d like to invite you to join us once again in this work. Your financial support makes everything we do possible and for that we are grateful. Make your year end gift today online, via check to our address below, or with a stock donation. Our Development Manager Smruti Aravind is available to answer any questions you may have about giving at smr...@storyofstuff.org. You can also reach me directly at mic...@storyofstuff.org.

The Story of Stuff Project

1442 A Walnut Street, #272

Berkeley, CA 94709 USA

Thank you for everything you do to make this world a better place.

All the best,

Michael O'Heaney

Executive Director

Join the conversation!
Youtube Instagram Facebook"" Twitter

The Story of Stuff Project runs on donations from people like you. Please make a one-time contribution, or better yet, sustain our work by signing up to be a monthly donor. Any amount makes a difference!
Donate

Story of Stuff logo

The Story of Stuff Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
Donations to The Story of Stuff Project are tax-deductible to the
extent allowed by law in the United States.

visit storyofstuff.org

Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2022 1:30 PM
Subject: 15 Years Together

It all started with a 20-min animation of where our Stuff comes and where it goes when we throw it away.