*[Enwl-eng] [can-eecca] Final WWF statement on UN Climate Summit2014

1 view

ENWLine

Sep 24, 2014, 6:44:26 AM9/24/14
to "ENWL-uni"
Hi Everyone,
Below is the final WWF statement, wrapping up the Climate Summit here in New
York.
It is here<http://bit.ly/1vdDfqs> on panda.org.
Social media posts below and meme attached.

MEDIA STATEMENT
World to governments: It’s your turn to lead on climate change

WWF Head of Delegation Samantha Smith issued the following statement Tuesday
about the UN Climate Summit in New York City:

“Every part of society showed up and delivered here at the Summit, with the
exception of world leaders who still have a lot of work to do. Make no
mistake – this was a historic moment, with 120 heads of state, 400,000
citizens taking to the streets, sector-busting corporate commitments, and
inspiring leadership from cities and the faith community.

“But we’re still waiting for governments to ratchet up their ambition and
deliver global, system-wide change on the scale needed to solve the climate
crisis. A laundry list of modest country actions is not an effective
strategy to fight runaway carbon pollution.

“All the while, the atmospheric news is only getting worse. Emissions are
rising faster than ever – this year alone global emissions rose 2.3 percent
in 2013, and US emissions went up 2.9 percent.

“Despite the smog, the message is clear: we desperately need action on
climate change. The historic crowds in the streets of New York City – and
similar actions in other cities around the world this week – demonstrate the
rising tide of public support for ambitious action.

“That rallying cry was amplified by many other groups, from faith leaders,
to youth groups to civil society, and even big business. We saw critical
corporate leadership – from company actions to tri-sector coalitions – on
issues like deforestation and 100% renewable energy. Even the finance
community made unprecedented commitments to pull money out of polluting
investments.

“This summit was world leaders’ turn to start matching those commitments,
and for the most part, they have yet to deliver.

“One bright spot was that Latin America’s leaders came prepared and gave us
a vision of a renewable energy future. Their commitments included crucial
pledges on deforestation and are all about action now in the critical years
where emissions need to start coming down. This Latin American leadership,
from countries including Mexico, Nicaragua, Chile, and Costa Rica, sets the
stage for strong progress at the negotiations in Peru later this fall. We’ll
be counting on those countries to help ramp up the ambition of the talks on
the road to Paris next year.”

SOCIAL MEDIA POSTS AND TWEETS
Facebook

·