*[Enwl-eng] Palm oil revolution

1 view

ENWLine

Jun 19, 2020, 9:35:13 AM6/19/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Great news:

We've scored another palm oil victory, thanks to you!

Earlier this year, your pressure got Pepsi to change its ways and unveil an industry-leading palm oil sourcing policy. Now you and I are leveraging a shareholder revolution against KFC and Pizza Hut owner Yum! Brands -- the largest fast food company in the world -- for its weak stance on deforestation.

We crashed Yum!'s biggest meeting of the year to present a shareholder proposal to get deforestation off the fast food giant's menus. And despite all of Yum's efforts to silence us, we won 35 percent of the vote -- 3 percent more than last year!

graphic that reads "victory 35% of Yum! Brands shareholders want deforestation off the menu"

KFC execs are shook, and it all thanks to generous donations from SumOfUs members -- and without your continued support will won't be able to force KFC and Yum! Brands into action.

It's all thanks to your regular donations -- and your continued support will force Yum! Brands and KFC into action. Would you like to make a one-off gift to keep our rainforests safe from Yum! Brands?

This is huge. Yum! advised against our proposal and even had its lawyers ask the US Securities and Exchange Commission to scrub it off the meeting agenda. But in the end, Yum! couldn't hide the truth: more and more shareholders want KFC and Pizza Hut to do better to protect our forests.

There’s still lots to do to save the habitat of endangered species like orangutans, Sumatran tigers, rhinos and pygmy elephants. If we're going to build on our victory and force Yum! to adopt a cross-commodity policy that protects workers, rainforests and the climate, we need to start right away.

It was your regular donations that got us this far -- and your continued support will see us through until KFC and Pizza Hut take long-overdue action. Would you like to make a one-off gift to keep our rainforests safe from Yum! Brands and other deforestation villains?

Thanks for all that you do,
Fatah and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

Our shareholder proposal, SEC, 14 May 2020
Leading consumer goods companies directly linked to deforestation, CDP, 18 November 2019

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Friday, June 19, 2020 2:19 PM
Subject: Palm oil revolution